Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical; Vaccination requirements

Medical; Vaccination requirements

Old Mar 4th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Moxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond reputeMoxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical; Vaccination requirements

Originally Posted by New Jersey Lass
Question is, can I just wait until my medical exam and get them to do this there, understood there is a fee. Or would you advise getting the jab done at my local doctors prior to the Medical Exam?

What do people normally do?
Yes, you can get the jabs at Knightsbridge. Most people go to their doctor only because it is potentially free. Make sure your MMR was in the last 10 years. If you are submitting your AOS before next Oct 1 (flu season), then you should be fine without the flu shot, even though your exam is during flu season.

Knightsbridge prices are:
Diptheria, tetanus and pertussis £25
Tetanus and diphtheria £30
Measles, mumps and rubella £35
Varicella £60
Influenza £20
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:34 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If you are applying for an Immigrant Visa, there will be no AOS; vaccines MUST be completed before the visa can be issued.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:07 am
Just Joined

New Jersey Lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
If you are applying for an Immigrant Visa, there will be no AOS; vaccines MUST be completed before the visa can be issued.

Ok got it. So as I am appyting for immigrant Visa I need to make sure all the vaccinations are required at or prior to the medical exam.

Moxie - Thanks for the MMR update, I had not realised that lapses after ten years, I had mine well over ten years ago, so I guess I will need to have that one again....(sob sob...hate needles!)

Thanks both.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ok got it. So as I am appyting for immigrant Visa I need to make sure all the vaccinations are required at or prior to the medical exam.

Moxie - Thanks for the MMR update, I had not realised that lapses after ten years, I had mine well over ten years ago, so I guess I will need to have that one again....(sob sob...hate needles!)

Thanks both.
Not necessarily...

It is best to let the Knightsbridge doc make that assessment. (what vaccines you personally need). We also wanted to "self-DX" and show how smartie pants we (well me) were. We were told by the medical folk to wait until after the doc had done the exam before running out and getting everything updated before the medical (the medical had to be done in Athens and we lived a day trip away, so were eager to get it right).

Sure enough, when he did go to the medical, DH did not need 2 of the shots we had determined he 'needed'. In fact, he only needed a tetanus booster, which every traveler worth his salt should have IMO.

If the Knightsbridge doc says you need XYZ (or MMR), you can elect to have it done there, or have your private MD do it and send Knightsbridge the info afterward.
Medicals are done so far in advance of the interview now that there should be no delay experienced because of this.

What I was trying to point out in the last post is that some K people elect to finish their vax in the US; that is not an option for the IV people. One way or another, whatever you do in the UK will be the end of it.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for this thread and the helpful info - I thought I had done everything necessary digging out my vaccination records from abroad and making an appointment with the nurse, but now I realise it could be possible to have the varicella vaccination at the GP (I didn't ask, because I thought it wasn't available in the UK, but it's worth asking) and that I also need another MMR (I've had 3 MMR shots under the age of 4...not sure why so many!), but not in the last 10 years, so I will make another appointment for this. I hope both of these are just needed once and I won't need to go back for more...
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:22 am

Please read my last post, katq. It may not be necessary for you to have those vax.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Please read my last post, katq. It may not be necessary for you to have those vax.
Thanks Meauxna, I posted this at the same time as you and I did get a little warning that another post has been added in the meantime, but thought it was probably not relevant to me It turns out it was! Well, I will take your advice and be patient, hopefully I won't need any more vaccinations. Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:31 am
Just Joined

New Jersey Lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks this is helpful.

I think I will wait and see the doc at Knightsbridge and let him tell me what I need then, especially as there is time afterwards as you say to get the jabs done and let them know straight away.

If I don't have to have a jab then I def won't get one, one less needle it always fine with me....hate the damn things...and passing out is always such a drag...

This has put my mind at rest. Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Moxie
Yes, you can get the jabs at Knightsbridge. Most people go to their doctor only because it is potentially free. Make sure your MMR was in the last 10 years. If you are submitting your AOS before next Oct 1 (flu season), then you should be fine without the flu shot, even though your exam is during flu season.

Knightsbridge prices are:
Diptheria, tetanus and pertussis £25
Tetanus and diphtheria £30
Measles, mumps and rubella £35
Varicella £60
Influenza £20

Just for info, it's not always cheaper to go through your GP. My DH is being charged £45 for MMR & an administrative fee?? If I knew that at the time we booked, I would have just had him get the shot at Knightsbridge for £35 (cheaper & less hassle).
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

Moxie your posting is extremely helpful, thanks you so much.

One quick question:

I am DCF in London, I am over 19, have had chicken Pox and MMR (which I have requested a certificate of from my doctor) and think therefore I only need the Tdap (Tetanus, Dipteria, Pertussis) jab.

Question is, can I just wait until my medical exam and get them to do this there, understood there is a fee. Or would you advise getting the jab done at my local doctors prior to the Medical Exam?

What do people normally do?
You can of course have it done at the medical. I had my nurse give me one because it had been some time since I'd had a Tetanus jab and my medical won't be for some time.