Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical; Vaccination requirements

Medical; Vaccination requirements

Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all
Default Medical; Vaccination requirements

I've seen the list of vaccination requirements on the website and I'm preparing to make sure that I'm all up to date. Just wanted to check if any females who recently had their medical were required to have the HPV vaccination. Someone told me that it's no longer required but it's still on their list. Think it might actually be cheaper to have it done at the visa medical as it is not available on the NHS. However, it was my understanding that you needed three injections at different times for HPV?

Any information would be a great help.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical; Vaccination requirements

Originally Posted by Shermeen.Adam
Someone told me that it's no longer required...
Someone was correct.

... but it's still on their list.
The list was never updated.

However, it was my understanding that you needed three injections at different times for HPV?
When it was required, women would get their first injection in the UK and complete the series in the US.

Ian
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

Thanks! One less thing to worry about xx
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Thanks! One less thing to worry about xx
mee too I was wondering about this also
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of off topic, but not

As some may know i went for the varicella jab at my local gp and have to have the second one next month.

Just as a heads up warning, didnt feel the needle at all, the nurse was very good, but felt it a day or two afterwards, not the needle ,but as if someone had punched me hard in the arm where the injection site is also ran a slight temp, but I was told these were common side effects of the jab....roll on second jab....yay ( whimperish voice).

Also leaned that they will not give this jab if you suffer from clotting or need to take asprin on a regular basis, also if you are pregnant, which counted me out.

Just thought i would share
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Kind of off topic, but not

As some may know i went for the varicella jab at my local gp and have to have the second one next month.

Just as a heads up warning, didnt feel the needle at all, the nurse was very good, but felt it a day or two afterwards, not the needle ,but as if someone had punched me hard in the arm where the injection site is also ran a slight temp, but I was told these were common side effects of the jab....roll on second jab....yay ( whimperish voice).

Also leaned that they will not give this jab if you suffer from clotting or need to take asprin on a regular basis, also if you are pregnant, which counted me out.

Just thought i would share
Spoke to my doctor today about it, he advised me it is not available on the NHS so I would have to pay out of pocked for it, but did not tell me a price.

He did however schedule a blood test for me, where they are going to test to see if I am immune to it. Ive had chickenpox 3 times, so he seems to think i should be immune, therefore a vaccination would be pointless.

So if I am, Im just going to take in a copy of that confirmation and hopefully all shall be good.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:56 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishspouse
He did however schedule a blood test for me, where they are going to test to see if I am immune to it. Ive had chickenpox 3 times, so he seems to think i should be immune, therefore a vaccination would be pointless.
I thought people could only get chicken pox once - did your doctor comment at all about having had it three times? Getting it multiple times would suggest a lack of immunity to me...
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

I'm confused, it says on the list that the Varicella vaccine is not available in the UK. Am I wrong for assuming then that we wouldn't need to have it? Or do they just mean that it's not available on the NHS in the UK?

I've had Chickenpox and Shingles as a child so I should think that I'd be covered but is this a vaccination that they might want me to get?

Shermeen xx
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused, it says on the list that the Varicella vaccine is not available in the UK. Am I wrong for assuming then that we wouldn't need to have it? Or do they just mean that it's not available on the NHS in the UK?

I've had Chickenpox and Shingles as a child so I should think that I'd be covered but is this a vaccination that they might want me to get?

Shermeen xx
It is only available at your GP if (1) they have stock, which would be rare and would be available for free or (2) you pay for it and they will order the vacine in.

I know it is available when you are stateside, but I want to ensure I have everything pre medical and have no worries about when/if approved and get there that I may need to have it as course to my application, but have not been that far down the list of what happens. Just concentrating on the steps upto and including NVC stages
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Spoke to my doctor today about it, he advised me it is not available on the NHS so I would have to pay out of pocked for it, but did not tell me a price.
My doctor is charging £77.40 for both shots I have one more of them and my final hep b in a couple months and I am all done as far as shots go
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

had my medical a month or so ago - no HPV vaccine needed. I also went to docs who did a test to see if i have chicken pox antibodies (which I do ) they printed this out for me to take to USA so hopefully wont need a jab when I get there
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Heres a link to a very old post by me and a cautionary tale about Varicella Vaccine!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643630
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by traceym
Heres a link to a very old post by me and a cautionary tale about Varicella Vaccine!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643630
Intresting, the doctors charged for the Hep b shots when they are in actual fact free on the NHS
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wolfy
Intresting, the doctors charged for the Hep b shots when they are in actual fact free on the NHS
We talked about it at the time it depends some Dr's charge some dont, no consistency!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Here I was thinking that the vaccination/medical would be the easiest part of the application!

So basically I need to take the list to my nurse/doctor and have them check if I need any boosters or vaccines. AND check if I have a resistence to Chickenpox since I've had it already?
Of course, the sooner I get on this the better because I'm not sure about the Hep ones unless they're given automatically when a child? Didn't realise some of them would need to be spread over a series of months.

I just hold my passport with that precious stamp already!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.