Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical; Vaccination requirements

Medical; Vaccination requirements

Old Jan 21st 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond reputeWolfy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical; Vaccination requirements

Originally Posted by Eeteet
Ian , I wasn't contradicting you . I just couldn't make out if they were saying you should have everything on the list , whilst stating when you probably should have had them, OR if you need to get the particular ones that fall into the age group the immigrant at time of medical is . That's all
The list from what I have seen which I understand and the nurse has the same understanding and they do state yes and is from the US gov site, perhaps you might make sense of this layout if not seen before....Page 7

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/...-0001-1007.pdf
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

On the Vaccination list, how does the grid system work? vare the age ranges with as yes/no what you should have had at that age , or if you need them if you are that age group looking to immigrate ?

for instance hep b says "yes, through 18 years of age" over 18 "no".
Does that mean you should have had it, or you only need it if your are immigrating and are under 18 ?

thanks
I'm in the same boat as you. I have no record of my immunizations, so took the chart to my nurse, who looked at it and said according to this chart, you only need Tdap and MMR.
So thats fine, but having had experiance with this immigration process before, I don't want to show up and hear 'thats only if you were born on a tuesday! now, if you were born on a wednesday, here's another chart' (and I'm sorry, but that seems to be the logic with any government forms) and then have to pay for a bunch of jabs I could have had for free at my doc's. Will call knightsbridge medical on monday and let you know what I discover.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joannabanana
I'm in the same boat as you. I have no record of my immunizations, so took the chart to my nurse, who looked at it and said according to this chart, you only need Tdap and MMR.
So thats fine, but having had experiance with this immigration process before, I don't want to show up and hear 'thats only if you were born on a tuesday! now, if you were born on a wednesday, here's another chart' (and I'm sorry, but that seems to be the logic with any government forms) and then have to pay for a bunch of jabs I could have had for free at my doc's. Will call knightsbridge medical on monday and let you know what I discover.
All depends on your age as to what you need or dont need - I havent looked again at the link on this thread but found the chart useful - I also took it to Knightsbridge who told me I needed Tdap and MMR and flu - had them done at docs and got a print out (AFTER I had had the medical)
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Eeteet is an unknown quantity at this point

It says on the sheet that flu is for over 50s , is that not the case ?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

It says on the sheet that flu is for over 50s , is that not the case ?
Well it was applicable to moi so you work it out (O never ask a ladeee her age)
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Once again --------------- this is brought up so often it should be a sticky

If you are living in a first world nation, i.e. the UK, Canada, France, etc. it is assumed that as children you were given the appropriate vaccinations for childhood diseases (with the exception of chicken pox). You do not need proof, although good to have. Tentanus <sp> is one that needs updating here in the US every ten years so you will need proof that you have had the innoculation in the last ten years to give to the doctor at the medical.

As for the flu shot, I would not come to the US without it. This is my personal view.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks , I assumed that developed countries are likely to have provided most of the required vaccines . However , thanks for the tip on tetanus

does anyone know which non standard vaccines the need you to have to PASS the medical I.e hep b isn't standard although I like many have had it for foreign travel , but iirc it only lasts 2 years . Likewise , it says flu for over 50s ; does anyone know if you HAVE to have it to pass medical or if the people who are getting are doing just in case ?

Thanks
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Yes a sticky or definitive list would be good , like MUST HAVES to pass the test , then optional ones , if you just want them . For instance you don't need Hep B to travel to USA from UK , so maybe they have different rules based on residing country ? Is it pre- requisite ( based on people's experience) that under 50s have to have flu jab, even though that's not what the form says ?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know which non standard vaccines the need you to have to PASS the medical
There are no non-standard vaccines. If you've had the ones on the list, great. If you've had other vaccines that aren't on the list, great. The US doesn't care which extra vaccines you've had... they care only that you have the ones that are appropriate for you - and that means the ones on the list only!

Likewise , it says flu for over 50s ; does anyone know if you HAVE to have it to pass medical or if the people who are getting are doing just in case ?
If it's on the list and you're over 50, you need the flu vaccine. You can still get it even if you're under 50... but that's because you want to, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with US immigration requirements.

You are deliberately trying to make this harder for yourself than it is. Why?

Ian
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

That's my interpretation , I wasn't sure because people are saying they will get flu jab when the don't need it ' just to be sure ' or chickenpox print out of antibodies , when that too is not a requirement . So I'm asking , irrespective of the list have people ACTUALLY had to get flu jab and chickenpox jab / antibody test AFTER medical. Does it have an impact in real life experience if not , why are people doing it ?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's my interpretation , I wasn't sure because people are saying they will get flu jab when the don't need it ' just to be sure ' or chickenpox print out of antibodies , when that too is not a requirement . So I'm asking , irrespective of the list have people ACTUALLY had to get flu jab and chickenpox jab / antibody test AFTER medical. Does it have an impact in real life experience if not , why are people doing it ?
I HAD to have them (the flu and chicken pox antibody test) ---I would never have had the antibody test for chicken pox if I didnt have to (never even heard of it) however I would and indeed did get the flu jab long before I ever met my fiance or dreamed I would go to the USA - just personal choice. I travelled on the tube every day with people sneezing and coughing (someone sneezed on my neck - nice!) so wanted a bit of protection from the lurgy

I agree with what Ian and other have advised- get what you NEED to get and if you WANT to get any of the others then do but they wont be needed for immigration purposes
Hope this helps you
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks , why did you HAVE to get chickenpox antibody test ? It's not on the list and it says UKC is excluded from vaccine ?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks , why did you HAVE to get chickenpox antibody test ? It's not on the list and it says UKC is excluded from vaccine ?
Because its good to err on the side of caution, the test is free, so why not get it?

UCIS are notorious for changing the rules without prior notice. So how about you turn up for your medical and they decide on that day to change the rules and you need the test, you didn't have it, so more delays, that I'm sure you don't want.

This really isnt rocket science!
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I actually cant remember to be honest! It must have said on my form that for my age group I needed it - I would prefer NOT to have the injection when I get to the USA so had the test to confirm that I have indeed got the antibodies.

Why don't you just make an appointment with your doc (or nurse at the docs) print off all the forms and go through it with them then your mind will be put at rest.?
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by traceym
Because its good to err on the side of caution, the test is free, so why not get it?

UCIS are notorious for changing the rules without prior notice. So how about you turn up for your medical and they decide on that day to change the rules and you need the test, you didn't have it, so more delays, that I'm sure you don't want.

This really isnt rocket science!
I'm not saying it is rocket science , I'm just wondering , as it isn't written anywhere on any official forms, when and where the antibody testing thing originated. using the ethos that they MIGHT change the rules seems odd, I mean should I get vaccinated against bird flu , just in case they change the rules . All I'm asking is, is it written anywhere or is it standard practice for the USA medical doctors to ask people to get an antibody test ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.