Marriage on F1?

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage on F1?

Originally Posted by notaclue
Just send them evidence of your relationship now, it will save you a step later on. Send the medical too, if you keep it sealed and it takes over 13 months for them to process then that's not your fault.
What step is it saving? They will still need evidence of their ongoing marriage at the time of their AOS interview. So it is a duplicate step actually.

If it takes over 12 months, then, yes, it is not their fault, but the USCIS can still, and probably will, demand a new medical in light of today's current immigration climate.

Send it all together, pictures of you together with family and such is plenty. IF they really want that stuff so badly then bring it to your interview because that is where they will ask for it, not so much in an RFE.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that USCIS has a hard time matching up random things sent in after the initial AOS package.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Please do remember that that waiting times are usually not accurate. By the current standard, my office should only be approving my AOS now, when in fact I have been a PR since September and should have actually have been one back in July/August!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
What step is it saving? They will still need evidence of their ongoing marriage at the time of their AOS interview. So it is a duplicate step actually.

If it takes over 12 months, then, yes, it is not their fault, but the USCIS can still, and probably will, demand a new medical in light of today's current immigration climate.
Yeah, I'm thinking it'll just be easier to gather evidence from when we are married onwards up until our interview. That way, everything will be up to date and we will probably have joint health insurance, joint car insurance, bills in our names etc plus we can use phots, which is much better than our only current proof; same address on random letters and photos!

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My understanding is that USCIS has a hard time matching up random things sent in after the initial AOS package.

Rene
Ah. So now we don't know whether to send off the medical and hope for the best, or possibly have to shell out another $300/400 for a new medical to be completed! Ideally, we would just take it to interview, if we get called in for one.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I would send it now, just so you have the most complete package possible, with the understanding that it might expire.

Second choice would be to not include it now, but only send it later if you receive an RFE for it (that way USCIS can match it up to your vase file because they took the initiative to request it). If you don't get an RFE, bring it to the interview.

I would not send it later without USCIS requesting it specifically, as it will probably never get matched to your case file.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks for the advice!

Regarding evidence, do they really want multiple copies of the same thing? I mean, 6 passport photos of me seems excessive, as do my passport being copied about 3 times and other items. Is it best to literally give what they ask for, and put that evidence requested behind the relevant form, even if it is repeats?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:31 pm

Yes. Treat each application as stand - alone, because they will go to different places for processing.

Rene
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 1:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Ah, gotcha. We are just going to assume we will probably get an interview, it seems most people do. Or maybe I'm wrong there! But either way, we most likely will post in the medical in a couple of months time, to go in line with what seems to be the current processing times for our local office, so it won't expire.

These forms are very tedious and repetitive!
Please do not equate your process with Tom169's. He entered with an approved K-1. You are doing something different. You are in the US with an approved Student Visa and will be marrying an American and filing for your permission (I-130) to file for adjustment of status (I-485). Both will be adjudicated at the same time ... at the interview. Someone in your situation is very likely to have an interview while it is 50-50 for an interview for adjusting from a K-1.

Also Tom's medical originally was the medical at Knightsbridge in London while your medical is a medical done by a panel physician here in the US. Adjusters from the K-1 in the past sent in their London results ALONG with the vaccination supplement signed by the US panel doctor. I see that many are not doing that and have not been asked to do so at any point during their processing.

Tom unfortunately got an adjuster who wanted a new medical which, frankly, has been virtually unheard of for a K-1 adjuster in my 20 years on the marriage-based forum. But then things change, sometimes they change without a law to back them up
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes. Treat each application as stand - alone, because they will go to different places for processing.

Rene
Will do, thank you!

Please do not equate your process with Tom169's. He entered with an approved K-1. You are doing something different. You are in the US with an approved Student Visa and will be marrying an American and filing for your permission (I-130) to file for adjustment of status (I-485). Both will be adjudicated at the same time ... at the interview. Someone in your situation is very likely to have an interview while it is 50-50 for an interview for adjusting from a K-1.

Also Tom's medical originally was the medical at Knightsbridge in London while your medical is a medical done by a panel physician here in the US. Adjusters from the K-1 in the past sent in their London results ALONG with the vaccination supplement signed by the US panel doctor. I see that many are not doing that and have not been asked to do so at any point during their processing.

Tom unfortunately got an adjuster who wanted a new medical which, frankly, has been virtually unheard of for a K-1 adjuster in my 20 years on the marriage-based forum. But then things change, sometimes they change without a law to back them up
Okay, I'm with you! So we might wait until we get an interview date then get the medical done, so it's current and no chance of expiring as if we did it now, in case our case takes longer than a year.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Yes, you can do it that way ... wait until just before the interview. I understand as students your finances are tight. While the medical is several hundred dollars, I'm sure that you can scrap together that money and have the medical done before filing. In that way, you forestall any possible RFE for the medical and the adjudication of the EAD so that you can find employment. An RFE might delay the issuance of an EAD/AP by several months and that is not beneficial to you since you want to be able to work to supplement your household income. And if your interview does take over a year to occur, you will have been working and will be able to afford to take another medical to bring to the interview. It comes down to what is best for you to make the process as error free as possible.

Give it some thought and weigh the pros and cons. What works best for your intentions.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

Just get the medical done and send it. Hope that they don't request another one. If it is dated January 23rd and they don't get it for a year and a half that is their problem, they may ask for another but then again they might not. You would have a decent argument with them through your senator by that point in time if it is taking that long and they are asking you to spend more money to satisfy them when it is their fault.

As other posters have said, you will potentially delay working and advance parole if you wait until the interview. You can start working long before the interview.

You are reading too much in to these forms, chill out. We sent only a couple of photographs each (I think it's only one form that asks for them anyway?). I can list the stuff we sent and was accepted without hesitation if you wish.

We were the exact same circumstance as you and your partner.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, you can do it that way ... wait until just before the interview. I understand as students your finances are tight. While the medical is several hundred dollars, I'm sure that you can scrap together that money and have the medical done before filing. In that way, you forestall any possible RFE for the medical and the adjudication of the EAD so that you can find employment. An RFE might delay the issuance of an EAD/AP by several months and that is not beneficial to you since you want to be able to work to supplement your household income. And if your interview does take over a year to occur, you will have been working and will be able to afford to take another medical to bring to the interview. It comes down to what is best for you to make the process as error free as possible.

Give it some thought and weigh the pros and cons. What works best for your intentions.
Actually, that is a very good point. If they do decide they want the medical with the application, rather than have me bring it to the interview, I don't want to be waiting longer for my EAD/AP. The financial loss there wouldn't be worth the gain.

I'll chat with my GF, and see what she thinks. Maybe sending it off is best, and hopefully with any luck we get lucky and get the process done within a year!

I had to bring my immunization records with me for school reasons, it's literally a printout of my immunization screen with my name, DOB and NHS number on. Does this suffice, or do you think I'd need to get one with my doctors signature from back home on it?
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maste
Actually, that is a very good point. If they do decide they want the medical with the application, rather than have me bring it to the interview, I don't want to be waiting longer for my EAD/AP. The financial loss there wouldn't be worth the gain.

I'll chat with my GF, and see what she thinks. Maybe sending it off is best, and hopefully with any luck we get lucky and get the process done within a year!

I had to bring my immunization records with me for school reasons, it's literally a printout of my immunization screen with my name, DOB and NHS number on. Does this suffice, or do you think I'd need to get one with my doctors signature from back home on it?
What you have is fine. These immigration doctors don't tend to worry too much. They are the same ones who do my physicals for work and are chilled out.
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

So... I checked through medical vaccinations I need. I've never had chicken pox in my life, despite my mother's attempt to try and get me to catch it from siblings and cousins to no avail. I believe I need the varicella vaccination. This takes 28 days to complete.

If I get my first shot from, say Walgreens, and I am due to have my second shot 28 days later, would the doctor sign me off as having or in the process of getting that vaccination?

We don't wanna pay for a medical examination when I know I need at least one course of vaccinations!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 7:48 pm

you only need proof of having the first shot. They can be completed after the medical is done.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.