Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Embassy DCF - Help pls

Wikiposts

London Embassy DCF - Help pls

Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Embassy DCF - Help pls

Originally Posted by frank09
Although it says your're not required to submit that evidence unless asked to do so by a government official..
It says that...and you can try that...but have something to show just in case the ConOff says "let me see proof". I am pretty sure they will ask for it.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It says that...and you can try that...but have something to show just in case the ConOff says "let me see proof". I am pretty sure they will ask for it.

Rene
Yikes - not sure what to ask my dad to give me to prove it. Would a letter from him help?
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes - not sure what to ask my dad to give me to prove it. Would a letter from him help?
It can't hurt, that's for sure. But I'm not sure how much weight will be given to a letter written by yourself about your own income. Does he do contracts? He can provide some contracts maybe, showing the amount he got in commission or however he gets his income. Does he work for an agency? Maybe the agency can write a letter verifying that he works as an independent contractor for them...

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It can't hurt, that's for sure. But I'm not sure how much weight will be given to a letter written by yourself about your own income. Does he do contracts? He can provide some contracts maybe, showing the amount he got in commission or however he gets his income. Does he work for an agency? Maybe the agency can write a letter verifying that he works as an independent contractor for them...

Rene
Will check this out with him...
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Will check this out with him...
Pay close attention to this, it was good of Rene to catch it. Self employed income and returns will get a much closer look than a vanilla wage job.

Your dad may want to submit the last 3 years' worth of tax returns to show a consistent history (of course, nothing this year is consistent when it comes to real estate sales).

Pay close attention in the evidence section of what must be included for self-employed people; it's different than the other-employed (Rene & I both have self employment in the immediate family and have gone through some of this).
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Pay close attention to this, it was good of Rene to catch it. Self employed income and returns will get a much closer look than a vanilla wage job.

Your dad may want to submit the last 3 years' worth of tax returns to show a consistent history (of course, nothing this year is consistent when it comes to real estate sales).

Pay close attention in the evidence section of what must be included for self-employed people; it's different than the other-employed (Rene & I both have self employment in the immediate family and have gone through some of this).
This is on the form:

If you checked box 22(b) (self-employed), you should havecompleted one of the following forms with your Federalincome tax return: Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business),Schedule D (Capital Gains), Schedule E (SupplementalIncome or Loss) or Schedule F (Profit or Loss from Farming).You must include each and every Form 1040 Schedule, if any,that you filed with your Federal tax return.

I was intending anyway to bring with a copy of his entire tax return which will include that info.

The way i understand it is that I onky need to show his 2008 return and just give the figures for 2007 and 2006.

There is also this as part of the I864 checklist:
If you are currently self-employed, a copy of your Schedule C, D, E or F from your most recent Federal Tax Returnwhich establishes your income from your business

That seems to say that the schedule c,d, , or f will establish his income. Not sure what else I can get from him to prove the income though..
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Again, consider tax transcripts instead of a copy of the return. My return is over 50 pages with all the schedules etc. The transcript will also prove that is what was filed with IRS.

Providing the three years is optional if you feel it will help your case. In this case, you need to show that father's income is consistently over the PG. His is a very good case for providing 3 years' worth.

Sched C will establish *last year's* income but I can't think of a thing he can provide to prove this year's, other than to show that he's an experienced Realtor (or whatever) and has demonstrated success with this business in the past.

We're not throwing up obstcles for fun, this is from what has happened to others in the past, so that you have the best shot at success your first time through the Consulate.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

f,

The consular officer may ask to see the other years.

How is this year's business income and business expenses tracking as compared to last year? And as compared to the 2 years before that? Surely he has data for the first 9 months of this year? Use the comparison to estimate how the full year 2009 might turn out.

Regards, JEff

The way i understand it is that I onky need to show his 2008 return and just give the figures for 2007 and 2006.

There is also this as part of the I864 checklist:
If you are currently self-employed, a copy of your Schedule C, D, E or F from your most recent Federal Tax Returnwhich establishes your income from your business

That seems to say that the schedule c,d, , or f will establish his income. Not sure what else I can get from him to prove the income though..
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
f,

The consular officer may ask to see the other years.

How is this year's business income and business expenses tracking as compared to last year? And as compared to the 2 years before that? Surely he has data for the first 9 months of this year? Use the comparison to estimate how the full year 2009 might turn out.

Regards, JEff
Oh, good idea JEff had. A current Profit & Loss Statement from your dad would be a good idea to include.

Rene
Old Oct 17th 2009, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
Again, consider tax transcripts instead of a copy of the return. My return is over 50 pages with all the schedules etc. The transcript will also prove that is what was filed with IRS.

Providing the three years is optional if you feel it will help your case. In this case, you need to show that father's income is consistently over the PG. His is a very good case for providing 3 years' worth.

Sched C will establish *last year's* income but I can't think of a thing he can provide to prove this year's, other than to show that he's an experienced Realtor (or whatever) and has demonstrated success with this business in the past.

We're not throwing up obstcles for fun, this is from what has happened to others in the past, so that you have the best shot at success your first time through the Consulate.
would a transcript show schedule c?

I will get all these answers from my dad , tried calling him now but he wasnt in!
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:04 pm

would a transcript show schedule c?

I will get all these answers from my dad , tried calling him now but he wasnt in!
Yes, the transcript shows everything, and you don't need to include the schedules etc separately, as you would have to if you sent photocopies.

JEff, a P&L is a great idea. Any contracts he's got pending. I've seen some people use business credit reports (Dun & Bradstreet sort of affair).

IOW, frank, you want to show that Dad's a serious professional, not a goofball who just got his Realtor's license.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Right, I have spoken to him. He will get letters from the two main people he manages real estate for and they will confirm what they pay him. I will also ask him for the transcripts rather than photocopies of his full return.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

if you google tax return transcripts a irs link will come up, it contains the phone number your dad will need to call and order his last 3 years worth of tax transcripts.

The transcripts are free and take about 2 weeks to arrive via post to his address.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Latest update:

My dad's accountant has only JUST filed his latest tax return last week!
This is the information I've established, and it gets tricky.

1) His income on the tax return is $22,100. The 125% poverty amount for a household of 3 (my dad , my mum and my wife) is....$22.887! So there's a shortfall of $787 which (hopefully) isn't a problem because he owns his own home ....

2) Which he has a recent appriasal stating that taking the mortgage into account is worth an extra $200,000 which is his equity. My understanding is that he'd need to multiply the $787 shortfall by 5 = $3935 so he's well ok (i hope!?) But..

3) I'm not sure if the house is in just his name, or in both my parents names. If its in my mum's name too, what do I do?

4) Do i need to go and find the 125% poverty amount for the previous 2 years too? In case he didnt meet it those years either?

5) He has gotten a letter from his two main contractors stating his current income

6) He also says he will give me a copy of his social security benefits. Does this count as prrof of income or assets?

Sorry for so many questions but drowning a little here!
Old Oct 19th 2009, 7:44 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

f,

Regarding the house, the I-864 instructions tell us that "Only assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner may be included. ... If you wish to include the net value of your home, this, you must include documentation demonstrating that you own it, a recent appraisal by a licensed appraiser, and evidence of the amount of any and all loans secured by a mortgage, trust deed, or other lien on the home."
- was that appraisal by an appraiser such as a lender would use?
- your father is in a position to either sell the home or take out an additional mortgage on it so as to be able to cash in some of its' value?

The income provided by the contractor's is his personal income? Or his business' income, from which his business expenses must be deducted to figure out what's left over for him?

If he's collecting his social security benefits then it's income. If he's not collecting then they're nothing.

Regards, JEff

Latest update:

My dad's accountant has only JUST filed his latest tax return last week!
This is the information I've established, and it gets tricky.

1) His income on the tax return is $22,100. The 125% poverty amount for a household of 3 (my dad , my mum and my wife) is....$22.887! So there's a shortfall of $787 which (hopefully) isn't a problem because he owns his own home ....

2) Which he has a recent appriasal stating that taking the mortgage into account is worth an extra $200,000 which is his equity. My understanding is that he'd need to multiply the $787 shortfall by 5 = $3935 so he's well ok (i hope!?) But..

3) I'm not sure if the house is in just his name, or in both my parents names. If its in my mum's name too, what do I do?

4) Do i need to go and find the 125% poverty amount for the previous 2 years too? In case he didnt meet it those years either?

5) He has gotten a letter from his two main contractors stating his current income

6) He also says he will give me a copy of his social security benefits. Does this count as prrof of income or assets?

Sorry for so many questions but drowning a little here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.