Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

London Embassy DCF - Help pls

Wikiposts

London Embassy DCF - Help pls

Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:22 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London Embassy DCF - Help pls

Originally Posted by frank09
As for the UK income. He says that he has a bank account here in the uk and the income he gets is from his former company. The new partners pay him a percentage of earnings. All of this is processed by his accountant, statements etc are sent to his accountant. Do I ask his accountant for his UK tax return? Will that be appropriate proof at interview?
Is this a pension, or proceeds from the sale of his company?
If so, how long is their contract good for? (if looking toward the future stability of this income)

"Pension" is a pretty specific word. The German money is not a "pension".
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Its an ongoing agreement (no end date) that my father recieve a percentage of the profits from the company.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

frank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud offrank09 has much to be proud of

Its an ongoing agreement (no end date) that my father recieve a percentage of the profits from the company.
Ok. Here's the update on dad's UK income.

He recieves a percentage of every contract his former company has with one of their main contractors (he set up the initial deal which is why he still gets the residuals, and the agreement is in place for as long as the firm exists).

His income, after taxes from that is around £15,000 a year.

He also recieves £3,000 a year pension from DWP in the UK.

His accountant here will send me the last 3 years of his uk tax returns (will i need them?) and his bookkeeper has said he will prepare a current income letter as well.

What exchange rate needs to be used in calculating those amounts in income?
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:25 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What exchange rate needs to be used in calculating those amounts in income?
Use whatever exchange rate existed the day the forms were submitted. The site www.xe.xom tracks both current and historical rates.

Ian
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Hi everyone. I have a quick question for you all about the IRS requirements. In an earlier post I was advised, that even though I had a zero income the past few years, as I am living overseas I am required to file tax returns. And so, I sent in the last 3 years of 1040EZ's direct to the IRS in Texas (I believe). I sent them a few weeks ago, and today called the IRS in the states to see if I can order transripts yet. After a 45 minute wait on hold I was told they dont have a record they have been recieved and I should wait till January to call back(!) Now, thats quite a while to wait, especially if we get my wifes interview before then, and as I'm using my Dad as sposnor too.

Then, I checked the IRS section of the london embassy website and saw this link:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irswho.htm

which indicates that a zero income doesnt require filing a tax return...

When it comes to it should I print off that page and take it to interview and say I didnt file as I had zero income?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:31 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

f,

Or, use a copy of the Do You Have to File? section of the Form 1040 instructions.

Regards, JEff

Hi everyone. I have a quick question for you all about the IRS requirements. In an earlier post I was advised, that even though I had a zero income the past few years, as I am living overseas I am required to file tax returns. ...

Then, I checked the IRS section of the london embassy website and saw this link:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/irs/irswho.htm

which indicates that a zero income doesnt require filing a tax return...

When it comes to it should I print off that page and take it to interview and say I didnt file as I had zero income?
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:44 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

But you did file.

You can provide photocopies of the returns you filed, plus copies of any evidence that went with them (P-60 etc). You don't *have to* have transcripts, they're just preferred.
You also could have filed in London.

You also could/should have read more than one person's recommendation on something like this.

I know folks like to keep one running thread for all their progress, but this thread is now 12 pages long. You are not likely to get new eyeballs on new, unrelated questions, so you might consider starting new threads for each specific topic (IE I-864 & attachments, visa application docs.. something to narrow it down some). Suggestion only.

For clarification, if anyone is still reading, the requirement is for US citizens to report their worldwide income, if it's within the reporting levels (see 1040 instructions). Many people think they don't have to report income from outside the US.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
But you did file.

You can provide photocopies of the returns you filed, plus copies of any evidence that went with them (P-60 etc). You don't *have to* have transcripts, they're just preferred.
You also could have filed in London.

You also could/should have read more than one person's recommendation on something like this.

I know folks like to keep one running thread for all their progress, but this thread is now 12 pages long. You are not likely to get new eyeballs on new, unrelated questions, so you might consider starting new threads for each specific topic (IE I-864 & attachments, visa application docs.. something to narrow it down some). Suggestion only.

For clarification, if anyone is still reading, the requirement is for US citizens to report their worldwide income, if it's within the reporting levels (see 1040 instructions). Many people think they don't have to report income from outside the US.
I know that its gotten really long. Previous advice I've gotten was to keep the post going to follow my story through... Have taken the advice to heart
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Morning all. Quick update. My wife received the single sheet letter today with her case number and Packet 3 written on the bottom. So now the panic is setting in! Awaiting some documents from my dad in the US. Form DS230 is all filled in, made all the photocopies of required docs etc, so just waiting for last few documents.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:28 am

No need to panic, the end is almost in sight!

Skim some interview reports.. you'll see, it's not what you expect.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

thanks mea- yes , i can see that its not too scary, but still, till we get there!

In the meantime, I've been looking through others posts and I'm still wondering if its best to send the DS230 in right away and then send the DS2001 next week once I have all the paperwork, or if i should wait till next week and just post them together..