Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

I-130 Filed in London (DCF)

I-130 Filed in London (DCF)

Old May 9th 2011, 6:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-130 Filed in London (DCF)

Originally Posted by katq
I don't know about I-864, but on the I-130 instructions they actually advise you to put N/A:

"Complete all blocks. If not applicable, enter
“Not Applicable” or “NA”. Failure to complete all blocks
will result in the forms being returned."

So for some reason this got stuck in my head that it is not acceptable to leave things blank, but it is ok to put N/A on these forms in general
It's good to remember that USCIS and DOS are two distinctly different agencies.

I made a comment about the instructions up above (I knew one of the forms says 'use N/A'). Then I added the quote from (also USCIS') the FAM.. a bit contradictory?
The purpose of the group is in large part to share information like this.. 'yes, the instructions say one thing but you are likely to get a better result if you do XYZ..'
Old May 9th 2011, 7:47 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is, as some posts in this thread tend to indicate, people often misunderstand what is applicable and what is not applicable from the immigration officer's point of view.

If you don't mind risking an RFE, go ahead and use 'N/A' liberally. If you want to do everything possible to avoid an RFE (and the associated extra processing time), as many people post that they want to do, then don't use 'N/A'.

Regards, JEff

I don't know about I-864, but on the I-130 instructions they actually advise you to put N/A:

"Complete all blocks. If not applicable, enter
“Not Applicable” or “NA”. Failure to complete all blocks
will result in the forms being returned."

So for some reason this got stuck in my head that it is not acceptable to leave things blank, but it is ok to put N/A on these forms in general
Old May 9th 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

katq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't have one either... but that doesn't mean the question isn't applicable from the US government's point of view.

The question is applicable.

Again, the question is applicable.

I disagree. The questions are always applicable whether or not you meet the US government's preconceived intent for asking.

Anyway... you're on the right track now!

Ian
Ok, that just made me look at my I-864 form again and we haven't put anything on these fields (my husband hasn't since he was the one who filled it in) - Income you are using from any other person is left blank...does that mean I have to print this page again and put "none" in all these fields - to me it is obvious that we are not using another income since we haven't put it in an also there is another field "Total" which shows that the total is the same as his salary - do you think that would be too confusing for the immigration officers? And I have also put N/A against "Alien Reg Number" and "SS number" for me...but this is probably ok? Or should I change it to none?
Old May 9th 2011, 10:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that just made me look at my I-864 form again and we haven't put anything on these fields (my husband hasn't since he was the one who filled it in) - Income you are using from any other person is left blank...does that mean I have to print this page again and put "none" in all these fields - to me it is obvious that we are not using another income since we haven't put it in an also there is another field "Total" which shows that the total is the same as his salary - do you think that would be too confusing for the immigration officers? And I have also put N/A against "Alien Reg Number" and "SS number" for me...but this is probably ok? Or should I change it to none?
You can hand write in new information like 'none'.

Don't leave blank fields. Either draw a line, write a 0 or do something to show that you saw and answered the item.

"N/A" is not correct for either of you; the USC can have one from naturalizing and the foreign spouse is going to get one (or has one and doesn't yet know).
The question applies to you.
Old May 9th 2011, 10:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

General observation - what's obvious to the person filling out the form may not be so obvious to the case officer evaluating the form. A blank field could just as well mean that the person missed the item. Immigration officer's don't make assumptions, they want the applicant to give them the requested information.

In this particular instance, yes the total is a fair indication that a zero belongs in the blank space. But leaving blanks, or using 'N/A', is a dangerous habit to get into. The better, safer, habit to get into is to provide a meaningful answer to every question.

Regards, JEff

to me it is obvious that we are not using another income since we haven't put it in