British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   DCF Filing in Nov/Dec/Jan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/dcf-filing-nov-dec-jan-696908/)

bobLobLaw Aug 23rd 2011 9:45 am

Re: DCF Filing in Nov/Dec/Jan

Originally Posted by chask (Post 9576082)
And best of luck to you as well!!!

Just heard about my interview, one week notice, not that I'm complaining :)

LuccaGirl Aug 31st 2011 8:10 pm

My UK hubby just received his visa :thumbsup: yippee

But I am still confused, which is a bit normal when dealing with the Embassy.

The sheet of paper that came with the visa says, 'at the port of entry you will be asked to complete and application for a Permanent Residence Card and you should receive it in approximately six months time.' So, does that mean that the visa in our passport is a temporary green card, and that my husband can start applying for jobs as soon as he lands on US soil? We don't have to wait another six months?! right

Lastly, can my husband go in and out of the US as much as he wants once his visa is stamped?

Thanks for your help in advance.

lansbury Aug 31st 2011 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl (Post 9593085)
My UK hubby just received his visa :thumbsup: yippee

But I am still confused, which is a bit normal when dealing with the Embassy.

The sheet of paper that came with the visa says, 'at the port of entry you will be asked to complete and application for a Permanent Residence Card and you should receive it in approximately six months time.' So, does that mean that the visa in our passport is a temporary green card, and that my husband can start applying for jobs as soon as he lands on US soil? We don't have to wait another six months?! right

Lastly, can my husband go in and out of the US as much as he wants once his visa is stamped?

Thanks for your help in advance.

The visa in his passport, once it has been stamped on first entry is a valid I-551 (GC) for 12 months from that date. Until he gets his GC he uses the stamped visa as his GC.

LuccaGirl Sep 1st 2011 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9593114)
The visa in his passport, once it has been stamped on first entry is a valid I-551 (GC) for 12 months from that date. Until he gets his GC he uses the stamped visa as his GC.

Thanks for that,
so can he fly in and out of the US as much as he wants? or is there a limited amount of days he can be out of the US for that first year?
thanks!!

jeffreyhy Sep 1st 2011 8:55 pm

It's not so much how many days he's out, and how often he goes in and out, as why he's doing this traveling and what he's done to establish the USA as his place of permanent residence.

If he clearly now lives in the USA and needs to travel a lot for whatever reasons, no problem. If it appears that he hasn't done anything to put down roots in the USA and is leaving a lot because his life is still in his previous country he may run into problems.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by LuccaGirl (Post 9595088)
Thanks for that,
so can he fly in and out of the US as much as he wants? or is there a limited amount of days he can be out of the US for that first year?
thanks!!