Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Bloody Support

Affidavit of Bloody Support

Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Bloody Support

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Question of law: is he truly out of status? Again, there is often a difference between what the law says and what USCIS says it says.

You're enabling the OP.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice

Originally Posted by md95065
You have to remember that this is the same guy who wanted a Cheap Maui Lawyer - to give pre nup once over and who said:

This goes back to the bond question. I saw reference to this only yesterday in a couple of places for the first time. If it still existed it would have been an ideal solution. The MAIN provision of the I-864 is to stop me being a drain on the public purse. A bond could guarantee that in the short term. Sadly it is not available any more.

As to the cheap lawyer, that was because I did not need a pre nup but she did (she has a child and a complicated financial situation) and, for the pre nup to be easily enforceable in Hawaii, we were advised that I HAD to have had legal advice before signing.

So I wanted the cheapest legal "advice" possible to tick the box. Anything else was a waste of money. Should I have spent extra? As it turns out ended up with a rather good lawyer.

She had been involved with Ms Zeta Jones and Mr Douglas when they did their pre-nup and even offered to marry us :-)

As to the generality of criticism of not understanding then process, there are people who are good at complicated detailed procedures and those who are not.

Those who are, may happily understand every twist and turn of this process at the first reading - I did not. In fact I found it, and find it, very difficult to manage (I am/was a successful journalist and broadcaster but my mind just does not work like this). I went over it many times but did NOT spot the second AfOS. Nor, at an earlier juncture, did I notice I had to have a flu jab to marry and American which has also caused me problems!

For the Nth time - SORRY.

As I always say in forums (fora?) you do not have to read a thread. I am asking for help and advice here. Many kind people have offered that.

A few seem to want to superior into the bargain or to just be superior without even contributing anything helpful.

For those of you who have been unfailingly helpful you have my lasting and sincere thanks (and a beer or five awaiting in Maui). For those of you who have been helpful and superior - well thanks. For those of you who have just posted your superiority ... well ....

Steve
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You're enabling the OP.
Sorry to be dense - OP?

Obsolete post, Odious Prat, Old Person, Observed Paranoia, no really cannot get there.

TIA
Steve
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve Homer
Sorry to be dense - OP?

Obsolete post, Odious Prat, Old Person, Observed Paranoia, no really cannot get there.

TIA
Steve
2,3 and 4 are possible.

However, OP is the original poster/post
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Affidavit of Bloody Support

Originally Posted by fatbrit
2,3 and 4 are possible.

However, OP is the original poster/post
Harsh but informative. Thank you
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be dense - OP?

TIA
Steve
Original Poster.

The thing is, you are asking for a solution we can not offer you. fatbrit is right; you two need to work out something between the two of you that we would not know anything about. Run it past an immigration lawyer to make sure it doesn't negate your application and then just do it. Nothing is going to improve in your situation until you are on an equal footing; right now, your USC is holding all the cards and preventing your adjustment. That has been grounds for an abuse claim in the past, so that you can see where some of us are coming from.
Just because you currently like the abuse doesn't change the situation.

fatbrit sez:
So negotiate and settle on a figure. We'll ignore the fact it's all beyond ludicrous so you don't keep going round in circles. Give yourself one (1) discussion which must be held within the next week to agree on the terms and amount. Write it down and then stick with it......and stop farting about.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Affidavit of Bloody Support

Originally Posted by meauxna
Original Poster.
Just because you currently like the abuse doesn't change the situation.
[/B]
LOL OK thanks for that. You have to know I do not LIKE this but short of pointing a gun at her head I cannot force her not to be paranoid!

Anyway lawyer looks like the only way forward.

Thanks all for your useful and, mainly, indulgent advice.

Mahalo and aloha.

Steve
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

LOL OK thanks for that. You have to know I do not LIKE this but short of pointing a gun at her head I cannot force her not to be paranoid!
You have the choice to leave. Perhaps when she sees you packing your bags she'll change her mind.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:53 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

I have been reading this thread with interest and I must say it has sparked an interesting debate with my DH and I. He signed the affidavit without much thought and didnt really think much about what it meant but he does realize that me coming here meant sacrifices in both sides and saw that as part of the deal.

I can also say that I have lost quite a bit financially coming here I have not been able to find work that is comparable to what I did in England and have just worked a full year with no paid holidays. I do also wonder when one marries with these concerns do you change the vows and not have things like for better for worse in it?

My boss is co-sponsoring his daughter's husband and recently asked me to explain what the affidavit of support meant as he was about to sign it and knew I had been through this, I gave him the run down of citizenship, death, 40 quarters etc, he commented that the guy was a hard worker who would always support his daughter and proceeded to sign.
So questions to Rebecca what is it that makes you and your family believe that Steve is not an honorable guy who will do everything he can to avoid putting you and your finances at risk? And Steve, I wish you luck think you are gonna need it.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Honour and Obey?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
I have been reading this thread with interest and I must say it has sparked an interesting debate with my DH and I. He signed the affidavit without much thought and didnt really think much about what it meant but he does realize that me coming here meant sacrifices in both sides and saw that as part of the deal.

I can also say that I have lost quite a bit financially coming here I have not been able to find work that is comparable to what I did in England and have just worked a full year with no paid holidays. I do also wonder when one marries with these concerns do you change the vows and not have things like for better for worse in it?

My boss is co-sponsoring his daughter's husband and recently asked me to explain what the affidavit of support meant as he was about to sign it and knew I had been through this, I gave him the run down of citizenship, death, 40 quarters etc, he commented that the guy was a hard worker who would always support his daughter and proceeded to sign.
So questions to Rebecca what is it that makes you and your family believe that Steve is not an honorable guy who will do everything he can to avoid putting you and your finances at risk? And Steve, I wish you luck think you are gonna need it.
Hi:

I've been following this thread with interest also. A lot of academic issues for discussion are in this thread -- and people making legal judgments left and right. I will admit that I do see the practical value with complying with CIS's misinterpretation of the law.

Of course, most applicants really don't like to have to litigate their eligibility for adjustment unless they have to. But then, a lawyer might actually charge some large fees for doing that. But that does tend to shift the blame from the government to the lawyer from what I observe. [I can't say I understand it, but that is just me, I guess].

Fascinating thread.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:35 am
Septicity

Hi:

I've been following this thread with interest also. A lot of academic issues for discussion are in this thread -- and people making legal judgments left and right. I will admit that I do see the practical value with complying with CIS's misinterpretation of the law.

Of course, most applicants really don't like to have to litigate their eligibility for adjustment unless they have to. But then, a lawyer might actually charge some large fees for doing that. But that does tend to shift the blame from the government to the lawyer from what I observe. [I can't say I understand it, but that is just me, I guess].

Fascinating thread.

What makes you think that this thread is about immigration law?
Old Oct 15th 2010, 3:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, most applicants really don't like to have to litigate their eligibility for adjustment unless they have to.
Exactly. And your obscure advice on how to go against the grain but still win your case is great.. for you.

The people who come here to ask questions want their situations to be simple and straight forward and to complete as quickly as possible. They are not interested in fighting City Hall or making a precedent setting case at a further financial cost to themselves and jeopardizing their immigration status in the US.

Furthermore, we've been collectively cramming' immigration lawyer' down this guy's throat for a year and a half. You're welcome to have it.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Exactly. And your obscure advice on how to go against the grain but still win your case is great.. for you.

The people who come here to ask questions want their situations to be simple and straight forward and to complete as quickly as possible. They are not interested in fighting City Hall or making a precedent setting case at a further financial cost to themselves and jeopardizing their immigration status in the US.

Furthermore, we've been collectively cramming' immigration lawyer' down this guy's throat for a year and a half. You're welcome to have it.
We are in agreement. And if OP wants to "fight City Hall" -- he should know that it will make for a happy lawyer who will have some lucrative fun -- even if, in the end, they lose. As we agree, that is something to be avoided if one can -- but the choice is up to OP.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:32 pm

We are in agreement. And if OP wants to "fight City Hall" -- he should know that it will make for a happy lawyer who will have some lucrative fun -- even if, in the end, they lose. As we agree, that is something to be avoided if one can -- but the choice is up to OP.
Then by all means.. you have the knowledge and authority to post exactly how CIS is breaking the law and how Steve Homer can ... well, what exactly. I don't know how to explain it to him, and since you're the only immigration attorney I have seen promoting this method of.. what exactly, staying? ... he should probably have a better idea before he goes shopping for a lawyer to accomplish.. well, whatever it is. Hopefully it also includes the USC petitioner/sponsor/spouse being excused from the I-864.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.