Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Bloody Support

Affidavit of Bloody Support

Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Bloody Support

Good morning.

I simply can't believe you would come here and ask us to vet advice that three lawyers gave you.

I also can NOT believe the family lawyer. Steve, you might have a case against him for ruining your life.

Rebecca, jeez, do the math.

Good luck!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Figpep
Hi again.

Just thinking about the VAWA option. I know Steven doesn't even want to think about it but just considering it as an option -- could Steven still live with me if he went with VAWA? Is it fast? Are there more interviews? Are there any legal consequences for me if he does this? Hmmm.

Thanks,

Rebecca.
Rebecca, I'm pretty sure the abused spouse is not supposed to live with their abuser while they are filing a VAWA claim.
Steve would have to document your abuse and it probably would not help his case to be also living with you. The legal consequences for you? You have an immigration lawyer, ask him.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:13 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Rebecca, I'm pretty sure the abused spouse is not supposed to live with their abuser while they are filing a VAWA claim.
Steve would have to document your abuse and it probably would not help his case to be also living with you. The legal consequences for you? You have an immigration lawyer, ask him.
I did not think this thread could shock me any more...

... but is Rebecca seriously considering claiming to be an abuser rather than signing the Affidavit - so the potential chance that she may have to support her loving husband is lower down her scale of options than using a law that "created special provisions in United States immigration law to protect battered noncitizens"
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

BL

I honestly don't think she knows what the VWA is but rather latched onto the fact that he could file for adjustment alone.

I know that those with money will do just about anything to increase the mother lode and/or at least maintain its status quo but don't think this woman is quite that callous.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't really see how somebody can use a policy of paying back the US government for means tested loans/grants/whatever to get money for themselves. Mind you, I'm more confused about how people in their 50's can have such trust issues and still decide to get married.

If any of this stuff got to USCIS, which judging by the responses and plans from both parties it will, I wonder if they will suspect marriage fraud. It's a lot of protection and legal wranglings that it surely must at least make somebody official think they are protecting their assets so they can get divorced cleanly and go their separate ways, with a greencard.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think she knows what VAWA is either. It would only have taken a couple of seconds to get the gist.

And it seems the very antithesis of Immigration Marriage Fraud.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Jengreg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
reading this thread like everyone else and wondering about couple concerned. To those of us who have made the often long and aduous journey to Green card and citizenship though marriage, these two are laughable. Dont know you Steve and therefore do not wish to be disrespectful, but you write like its some sort of high jinks going on in the form room. This is your life you are dealing with. To the wife...really? are you for real? Steve, her idea that you go home if you get a serious illness should be the indicator that you need to get away from your wife. Her being lovely otherwise seems to cloud your judgement over how she would treat you if you were ill.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:19 pm

I feel like I have to make a 'responsible' post here.

Steve & Rebecca appear to be like many couples our age, marriage is not priority #1, but being together is. MANY of us looked for a visa to allow us to live in the US together without marriage (often called the non-existant BF/GF visa).
I don't question their love/affection/desire for each other, but I'm annoyed with the sense of entitlement R shows by wanted her frosted cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner without any concession on her own part.

If Rebecca is as sincere as she appears (about as serious as a heart attack IMO) about not signing this I-864, and they persist that Steve be allowed to remain solely based on his marriage to her, then one or the other of them or both should go spend some of that money they're both sitting on to hire a real immigration lawyer who will pursue the (alleged) option of adjusting without the I-864. (this will not be cheap)
This is clearly over the heads of this group, as we have collectively never seen it happen before, but someone reported to me privately that it could possibly be possible.

Myself, I can't see the sense in spending as much as one would potentially dodge (either the lawyer's gonna get it or.. Steve/the gov't?).
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:47 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My personal hope is that he file for a green card under VAWA (I think there's probably enough evidence in this very thread without him having to gather any more), claim off you for the rest of his long life while he earns nothing but instead writes amusing books for the public domain and enjoys the other ladies of Hawaii, and that he live to a ripe old age but spend the last two weeks of his restful life in an IC unit running up a bill of a million bucks or three....that the feds subsequently come after you for.

You're welcome to my thoughts on this matter

so......you don't do relationship counselling then
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My personal hope is that he file for a green card under VAWA (I think there's probably enough evidence in this very thread without him having to gather any more), claim off you for the rest of his long life while he earns nothing but instead writes amusing books for the public domain and enjoys the other ladies of Hawaii, and that he live to a ripe old age but spend the last two weeks of his restful life in an IC unit running up a bill of a million bucks or three....that the feds subsequently come after you for.

You're welcome to my thoughts on this matter
Go Steve
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:10 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

it seems there is as much effort in responing to his relationship and personal issues as there are his visa questions. Given the relationship is his & her big deal, and he has been advised regarding the legal deal - all's done.

c'ya steve and bekky - good luck deciding

see, easy as
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

grenfellruth is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow is pretty much all I have to say about this topic!

I can't imagine my Husband and I going through this. We love each other..we wanted to be together..we both make sacrifices and we get on with our new life together based on love and trust.

zero trust would never have convinced me to move 4000 miles
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by grenfellruth
Wow is pretty much all I have to say about this topic!

I can't imagine my Husband and I going through this. We love each other..we wanted to be together..we both make sacrifices and we get on with our new life together based on love and trust.

zero trust would never have convinced me to move 4000 miles
I know, that's why I married my dog
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I know, that's why I married my dog
LOL
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Figpep is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again.

I looked further into VAWA because of all the comments about VAWA and specifically the one that said that there was enough evidence from me that could be used to file a VAWA petition. I found out that if the sponsor refuses to file immigration papers that is one of the qualifications of VAWA.

The I-864 says I do not have to sign the I-864, and I quote, "You cannot be made to sign a Form 1-864 if you do not want to do so. But if you do not sign the Form I-864, theintending immigrant may not be able to become a permanent resident in the United States."

So, I was thinking that VAWA may work because I do not want to sign the Form I-864. And yet Steven is stuck being out of status, possibly affecting his ability to return to the US, and unable to travel back home.

I contacted a New York law firm that specializes in VAWA and immigration. Steven and I talked with the attorney this morning briefly. She, after, hearing about our situation, refused to give any advice and wanted to get off the phone.

Would this refusal to sign be enough for Steven to pass a VAWA test?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.