Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
So where do you live?
Coal Harbour should be ok for 6 months, shouldn't it?
Coal Harbour is fine, you'll love it. The South Granville area alternatively is really crap and horrible so I wouldn't look there.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

False Creek is on our list too, but probably after the initial 6 months.
I really need to feel safe. I don't go out at night on my own, but really need to feel safe in the daytime.
I'd say since coal harbour is in the downtown core you're more likely to be closer to the action, positive and negative. South false creek is definitely more established and very safe. You're more removed from the elements.

South Granville would be perfect for you.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I really need to feel safe. I don't go out at night on my own, but really need to feel safe in the daytime.
I used to live in Coal harbour and there was always homeless people wandering around high on drugs or harassing people for money. There was even a fella from nova scotia there once, although it was hard to tell if he was homeless or just a tourist.

I'd look at South Granville if I was you.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:36 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I used to live in Coal harbour and there was always homeless people wandering around high on drugs or harassing people for money. There was even a fella from nova scotia there once, although it was hard to tell if he was homeless or just a tourist.

I'd look at South Granville if I was you.
I was only trying to bum enough for a couple of beers, wouldn't say I was harassing people
Old Aug 19th 2012, 8:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
I was only trying to bum enough for a couple of beers, wouldn't say I was harassing people
A nice boy like you would of probably had better luck nearer Denman and Davie.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:08 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
A nice boy like you would of probably had better luck nearer Denman and Davie.
Always putting the cross in, never able to nod into the open net
Old Aug 19th 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's anywhere where you won't feel safe. As a single female, I wander around the city solo day and night - have never felt in danger in Vancouver, even in the Downtown Eastside. It's grim to look at, but no threat to you.

Coal Harbour is superficially beautiful (the mountains! the sea! the affluence!), but sterile and lacking in community. It's also expensive, including all the stores nearby. A good friend of mine moved there from the USA and found it very difficult to make it a home, and it may be nice to temporarily base yourself there if you work downtown, I would think twice about using it as a base to develop some sort of social network or feelings that "this is home". It's a lonely place, despite the population density.

For 6 months, if you need to stay downtown, I'd look into Yaletown as it would have a livelier residential community feel with many more amenities within walking distance. People of all ages/genders walk around Yaletown early morning to late at night with no problem. Plus, you're nearby transit hubs like the Canada Line, the bus routes, the seawall, and the water taxis around False Creek, so it's easier to explore the rest of the city.

Even the West End, which is immediately south of Coal Harbour, is older but miles more interesting (in my opinion) than Coal Harbour. Part of that reason is that Coal Harbour is a former office tower district which has turned residential. Community amenities like grocery stores, etc. were an afterthought. Coal Harbour is where people go to invest their money, but not a place where they contribute to the community. As a result, it feels very transient and, as others have said, sterile. No personality.

Other neighbourhoods outside of downtown to consider which have plenty of personality: Commercial Drive and Mount Pleasant. Commercial Drive is bohemian/eccentric with a vibrant cafe culture and lots of independent grocers. I currently live here right now and love it. Mount Pleasant is another area, a tad more hip and bustling with restaurants and unique shops. I recall you said you freelance; these places will feel more at home to you as it's where other freelancers mix and mingle.

Last edited by Lychee; Aug 19th 2012 at 10:51 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 1:11 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you find Yaletown and Commercial drive full of annoying hipsters?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Yaletown? Hipsters? Yaletown's full of annoying Real Housewives types and men going through midlife crisis. Gastown's the new frontier for hipsters downtown.

Commercial Drive and hipsters? Partially. Hippies more like it.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 1:27 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

So where are the nice places in Vancouver?
Memo to foreigngirl. Not all posters on this thread are being completely serious.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:52 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yaletown isn't trendy anymore, do keep up
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
I don't think there's anywhere where you won't feel safe. As a single female, I wander around the city solo day and night - have never felt in danger in Vancouver, even in the Downtown Eastside. It's grim to look at, but no threat to you.

Coal Harbour is superficially beautiful (the mountains! the sea! the affluence!), but sterile and lacking in community. It's also expensive, including all the stores nearby. A good friend of mine moved there from the USA and found it very difficult to make it a home, and it may be nice to temporarily base yourself there if you work downtown, I would think twice about using it as a base to develop some sort of social network or feelings that "this is home". It's a lonely place, despite the population density.

For 6 months, if you need to stay downtown, I'd look into Yaletown as it would have a livelier residential community feel with many more amenities within walking distance. People of all ages/genders walk around Yaletown early morning to late at night with no problem. Plus, you're nearby transit hubs like the Canada Line, the bus routes, the seawall, and the water taxis around False Creek, so it's easier to explore the rest of the city.

Even the West End, which is immediately south of Coal Harbour, is older but miles more interesting (in my opinion) than Coal Harbour. Part of that reason is that Coal Harbour is a former office tower district which has turned residential. Community amenities like grocery stores, etc. were an afterthought. Coal Harbour is where people go to invest their money, but not a place where they contribute to the community. As a result, it feels very transient and, as others have said, sterile. No personality.

Other neighbourhoods outside of downtown to consider which have plenty of personality: Commercial Drive and Mount Pleasant. Commercial Drive is bohemian/eccentric with a vibrant cafe culture and lots of independent grocers. I currently live here right now and love it. Mount Pleasant is another area, a tad more hip and bustling with restaurants and unique shops. I recall you said you freelance; these places will feel more at home to you as it's where other freelancers mix and mingle.
Agreed!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:33 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

beginning to think you are a very intolerant person. Besides, i cant think of anywhere with more down trodden vaga bonds wandering the streets than downtown maple ridge
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:41 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee

yep all spot on. Main street is another area that has become very bohemian and although a bit further out, Fraser is up and coming.

Not sure why everyone knocks Yaletown, it's neat what they did down there with the old warehouses. I remember the area in the early 90's when there was not much there. But it is spendy.

True about coal harbour and the reality is that if one lives in the west end, coal harbours waterfront is a nice stroll away anyway.

Very true about how safe vancouver is. I'd say it's one of the safer cities i've wandered around. 20 years, not a single problem. Can't say the same for Manchester.

if i ended up downtown again, it would be Kits for me
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Oink
Coal Harbour is fine, you'll love it. The South Granville area alternatively is really crap and horrible so I wouldn't look there.
i like south granville or do you mean Marpole? South granville is actually the area between 12 th and 4 th ish. Which really isn't all that south? Not sure why its called that.

South Granville is another decent area to look at.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.