British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/worst-suburb-greater-vancouver-gta-762965/)

ExKiwilass Jun 26th 2012 5:56 pm

Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

Let's help out some newbies thinking of emigrating to Vancouver or Toronto

What 'burb or part of Vancouver or Torotno would you never live in? And why?

dbd33 Jun 26th 2012 6:12 pm

Re: Worst suburb in Greater Vancouver/GTA

- Mississauga, north of the QEW, seemingly endless sprawl of strip plazas and housing projects

- Brampton, for Asians (British sense)

- Markham, for Asians (American sense)

- Rexdale, dangerous

- Oakville, too far away

- Regent Park, gentrified? My arse.

- Moss Park/Sherbourne from Queen to above Dundas, literally and by comparison, this is the DTES of Toronto

- St Jamestown, City Place, south Etobicoke, high rise projects, lots of units rented, moderately priced when new, unsaleable when old.

Steve_ Jun 26th 2012 6:14 pm

Malvern and other parts of Scarborough near downtown, looked a bit dicey to me. Abbotsford has a shitty reputation as well although I've never been there. Actually I know someone who lives there who says it's okay but apparently it has one of the highest crime rates in the country.

I always think it is a bit of a struggle to find places that are truly dodgy in Canada, people go on about the east village in Calgary which is a summer camp compared to places I've been in other countries that were truly dangerous.

That area in Vancouver east of Gastown, people go on about that, yeah lots of homeless people wandering about but I walked through it and I've walked through a lot worse. (But I wouldn't want to live there).

el_richo Jun 26th 2012 8:00 pm

Maple Ridge cos it's a dirty shithole and faaaaaar away from Downtown Vancouver if commuting.

Abbortsford and Mission because they're dirty, poor, even further a commute downtown, and has a high population of gangsters, wannabe gangsters, druggies, chavs, and people who look very homeless. Cheap housing though.

North Vancouver cos it rains so much more than everywhere else and my wife hates that

Parts of Surrey cos they're shitholes and there's an issue with Indians pissing in the streets and gardens going on at the moment.

Richmond cos you'll probably be dead or in a heap of trouble during a decent sized earthquake

Coquitlam because its a whole load of ugly ****ing urban sprawl

Pitt Meadows because there's absoultely nothing there other than a bridge and a strip mall.

DTES because i've seen what happens in zombie movies

Westside of Vancouver because i don't have a a spare $5M to by an over priced property and not worry about it.

Anywhere else my wife tells me i don't like

ExKiwilass Jun 26th 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful responses so far guys! :thumbup:

Novocastrian Jun 26th 2012 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10140476)
- Mississauga, north of the QEW, seemingly endless sprawl of strip plazas and housing projects

- Brampton, for Asians (British sense)

- Markham, for Asians (American sense)

- Rexdale, dangerous

- Oakville, too far away

- Regent Park, gentrified? My arse.

- Moss Park/Sherbourne from Queen to above Dundas, literally and by comparison, this is the DTES of Toronto

- St Jamestown, City Place, south Etobicoke, high rise projects, lots of units rented, moderately priced when new, unsaleable when old.

Says it all. I would add Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering as well, and further out Barrie.

caretaker Jun 26th 2012 10:33 pm

Westside of Vancouver because i don't have a a spare $5M to by an over priced property and not worry about it.[/QUOTE]

Not too sure about now, but for decades it seemed like the West End was more dangerous than the Lower East Side. Criminals have to go where the money is, and for a long time it seemed like they were finding someone carved up in a garbage can every weekend. During the day it‘s beautiful and full of restaurants and boutiques but after dark people wouldn‘t be walking around alone.

el_richo Jun 26th 2012 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10140923)

Not too sure about now, but for decades it seemed like the West End was more dangerous than the Lower East Side. Criminals have to go where the money is, and for a long time it seemed like they were finding someone carved up in a garbage can every weekend. During the day it‘s beautiful and full of restaurants and boutiques but after dark people wouldn‘t be walking around alone.

Lower east side? Are you talking manhattan?

I'm talking west point grey and the surrounding areas where houses are up to $35m.

I'll wait for the price drop to come in and maybe bag a couple (pun intended)

Lvh76 Jun 26th 2012 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10140880)
Says it all. I would add Ajax, Oshawa, Pickering as well, and further out Barrie.

But according to stats encountered at a recent 'Ribfest' I attended, Oshawa does have the best ribs in the GTA.

caretaker Jun 26th 2012 11:16 pm

When I say lower east I‘m thinking of the open air crack market from Granville up E Hastings to a couple of blocks past Main. By west end I‘m referring to the area from Hastings to the Fraser and W of Granville to the water. I knew a couple of people from Regina who were murdered in the West End. Don‘t let those fancy high-rises fool you.

el_richo Jun 26th 2012 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 10140979)
When I say lower east I‘m thinking of the open air crack market from Granville up E Hastings to a couple of blocks past Main. By west end I‘m referring to the area from Hastings to the Fraser and W of Granville to the water. I knew a couple of people from Regina who were murdered in the West End. Don‘t let those fancy high-rises fool you.

I would call the west end fancy ;)

JonboyE Jun 27th 2012 12:36 am

White Rock. You might get a really dodgy neighbour.

Novocastrian Jun 27th 2012 1:13 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 10141050)
White Rock. You might get a really dodgy neighbour.

Now, where exactly is it you live? I want the street address, please. Then I can do my research.

el_richo Jun 27th 2012 2:20 am

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 10140993)
I would call the west end fancy ;)

Wouldn't :o

London Mike Jun 27th 2012 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 10140459)
Let's help out some newbies thinking of emigrating to Vancouver or Toronto

What 'burb or part of Vancouver or Torotno would you never live in? And why?

Don't come too close to me. We have enough trouble with multiple bids on houses ... Anywhere else is paradise (apart from Brampton - don't for the love of GOD move to Brampton).