Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Working From Home Tips

Working From Home Tips

Old Jun 6th 2020, 12:16 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working From Home Tips

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Ha ha....only you could link cell phone plan negotiations to a rub and tug

I created a dummy account this evening on Twitter (don't have a real account and not interested in one), went to the Rogers Helps twitter feed, engaged in some back and forth discussions and saved $30 a month on the cell phones we have (4 in the house) and increased the data on mine (can use Waze now a lot more) and then saved $17/month in cable/internet costs and kept with our current plans. It took about a half hour.
Good luck with Rogers; most of the people I know who used them didn't like it.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Inter-rest-ing.... We're in the process of moving from Webex to Teams so are at the opposite end of that curve. Webex is godawful shite, Teams seems to work better.
Skype for business works well as a messenger service but is useless for audio or video. Zoom is banned from our corporate PC's / Network for security concerns but we use it at home for everything from virtual dance lessons (for the kids not me I hasten to add) to socials. Mrs AX uses google meet because she's a teacher and education boards have sold their souls to Google (Classrooms, Chromebooks etc)

In truth all of the video meeting apps are problematic at some time or other. Tens of minutes lost to "I can't hear you", "You are on mute", "Could you go on mute because there is background noise (kids, typing, screaming, drilling etc) etc etc. However these are primarily user issues rather than the platform itself. They certainly show the disparities in internet connectivity around the world. I'm particularly amused by colleagues in London (the Engerland one rather than the Ontario one) with grainy, pixellated pics as their broadband, in a major city is sh1t. "Oh you are on Virgin Internet" they say to each other, with eyerolls. Well I assume eyerolls as I can't actually see them move at that point. I get all smug about my Fibre to the Home internet here in Nfld. In these days of the plague it seems to be worth the small fortune one pays for it.

EDIT to add.... On phones,since I work in the basement, I have dodgy cellular coverage. The workaround is Bell's "Calls over Wifi" functionality but thats a bit of a faff as you then need to dial the full 10 digit code for any call you make ever even when on actual cell service.
An update to add .... colleagues have discovered that you can change the background in teams video calls. (as you can with Zoom I think). I was puzzled why one, based in the US appeared to be in the London office on a call last week before I realised. If you are going to choose a funny background for god sake make it more interesting than the bloody office!
Old Jun 17th 2020, 3:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
An update to add .... colleagues have discovered that you can change the background in teams video calls. (as you can with Zoom I think). I was puzzled why one, based in the US appeared to be in the London office on a call last week before I realised. If you are going to choose a funny background for god sake make it more interesting than the bloody office!
After the schools were closed we repurposed our unused nursery bedroom as little Miss P's "office" for school purposes (she is thirteen, in 7th grade), and she asked to decorate the wall behind her chair (the backdrop for her video classroom meetings), which was fine with Mrs P and me. So we bought several sample-sized pots of paint of her choice, she taped up a geometric pattern on the wall, and painted it. And it looked pretty good when she had finished.

It was several weeks later when we discovered where the idea for the pattern came from!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 17th 2020 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Good luck with Rogers; most of the people I know who used them didn't like it.
My experience with Rogers as long as their is never an issue they are fine, and good network at least out my way, but pray nothing ever goes wrong because trying to get an error fixed is an uphill battle with them.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 8:07 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My experience with Rogers as long as their is never an issue they are fine, and good network at least out my way, but pray nothing ever goes wrong because trying to get an error fixed is an uphill battle with them.
this

I’m frightened to upgrade my phone at the moment as last time it took 6 months to sort out the billing **** up
Old Jun 17th 2020, 9:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

It was several weeks later when we discovered where the idea for the pattern came from!
Well done that woman! I think that is brilliant. C19 made my son clean his bedroom up PDQ...which I couldn’t manage. He realized everyone else could see behind him

I hate Rogers with a will...being where we are we either have to go for Bell or Rogers effectively, I suffered Rogers and their non transparent and slippery billing cycle for far too long. Bell have, for me, been better.

i
Old Jun 29th 2020, 2:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Howard the Contract Killer

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 5:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Earlier this week councillors in Torrelavega gathered online to hash out some of the latest issues facing the municipality of some 52,000 people. Following the protocols put in place as the coronavirus tightened its grip on Spain, half a dozen councillors dialed into the videochat at 8am, streaming it online for journalists and residents.
As the meeting stretched past midday, Bernardo Bustillo, who works part-time with the municipality, began to fret that he wouldn’t have time to shower and shuttle his daughter to her commitments before heading to his other job as a swim instructor. He came up with what seemed to him the perfect solution to multitask; hauling the computer into the bathroom and minimising the chat screen so that he could listen in on the meeting as he showered.
You know what's coming don't you.

The sound of running water drowned out the constant ringing of his mobile phone, as frantic colleagues tried to warn him that the camera was still rolling. A wave of discomfort rippled across the videochat as he got out of the shower. “Say something to Berni. Say something to him quickly,” one colleague could be heard saying.

Bernardo Bustillo mistakenly left his video on while attempting to multi-task by showering while listening to an online meeting
Old Jul 21st 2020, 2:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

True dat.

I submitted an expense claim last week for 12 packs of chocolate digestives.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...cuits-12033104

Old Jul 24th 2020, 3:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 27th 2020, 10:42 pm
Tea Drinker

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-...54201?mod=e2tw
Old Aug 11th 2020, 4:30 pm
Tea Drinker

'Fake background office chatter helps me work from home'

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/op...eGenerator.php
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Anyone else here returning to the office anytime soon?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...fices-12058176
Old Aug 28th 2020, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
'Fake background office chatter helps me work from home'

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/op...eGenerator.php
Personally I enjoy having a little bluetooth speaker with music playing.
Old Aug 29th 2020, 6:49 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest tip for work from home, is get a big bottle of nice smelling baby lotion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.