Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Working From Home Tips

Working From Home Tips

Old Sep 1st 2020, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working From Home Tips

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe they could replace the elevator cars' floors and ceilings with open grids - so that air rushes through the elevator cars as they move between floors?
Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
Well that’s tonight’s nightmare sorted
That could be a fund raiser for thrill seekers.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 10:05 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

IME experience office tower elevators are commonly (in normal times) rated for 20 people/ 3,500lb, but an elevator that size feels pretty crowded by the time you get 10 people in it. I have been in "full" elevators in London, the ones that serve some Tube stations, and "full" means everyone is jammed in solid. So if anything even close to the currently-advised social distancing rules were attempted, you wouldn't be able to get more than 4 people in a 20 person capacity elevator.

Maybe they could replace the elevator cars' floors and ceilings with open grids - so that air rushes through the elevator cars as they move between floors?
That's cruel

Reminds me of this prank

Old Oct 14th 2020, 9:11 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is distinctly autumnal here in the UK now, and I have already thought about clicking the heating on or lighting a fire during the day. I can see that extra fuel costs will soon become a real concern for many people who have been otherwise happy to work from home over the summer.

Maybe not so much a problem in Canada where the heating tends to be on all the time anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2020, 5:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The weather is distinctly autumnal here in the UK now, and I have already thought about clicking the heating on or lighting a fire during the day. I can see that extra fuel costs will soon become a real concern for many people who have been otherwise happy to work from home over the summer.

Maybe not so much a problem in Canada where the heating tends to be on all the time anyway.
We are currently enjoying a remarkably long period between using AC and heating - it's been about 4 weeks since one of the post-hurricane tropical drepressions brought the temperatures down to where little AC is needed here in NC, and we rarely turn the heat on before the first week in November. We usually hope for two weeks of mild temperatures in the autumn with little or no AC or heating, but this year it could be six weeks. ...... In the spring we usually have a similar "gap" which was also longer than usual this year - close to two months from mid March to mid May.

And while we may have increased home gas and electricity bills we have saved a lot in commuting costs, reducing our driving by 75%-90%, which has saved us more in petrol alone than we ever pay for gas & electricity. In any case peak AC usage costs more than heating does in the winter.
Old Oct 15th 2020, 7:23 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

And while we may have increased home gas and electricity bills we have saved a lot in commuting costs, reducing our driving by 75%-90%, which has saved us more in petrol alone than we ever pay for gas & electricity. In any case peak AC usage costs more than heating does in the winter.
This is true of me too, especially given that, pre-Covid, I was commuting between the UK and Germany. My world has shrunk to my village and the nearby market town. I have scarcely been much further than 15 miles from the house in 6 months. I've even sold my motorbike because it just wasn't getting used - I've nowhere to go!
Old Nov 16th 2020, 10:07 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Well after 8 months of WFH, we have been asked to come back to the office on a voluntary basis, 1-4 days per week. I chose Mon & Tues to be back. It feels really weird.

Lots of building changes to cater for COVID, every other urinal / sink blocked off, only 2 in the lift, one way stairwells etc. So many touch points in an office environment but they are doing their best. Time will tell if they called us back too early.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Well after 8 months of WFH, we have been asked to come back to the office on a voluntary basis, 1-4 days per week. I chose Mon & Tues to be back. It feels really weird.

Lots of building changes to cater for COVID, every other urinal / sink blocked off, only 2 in the lift, one way stairwells etc. So many touch points in an office environment but they are doing their best. Time will tell if they called us back too early.

Hopefully it doesn't turn into what happened at my sisters office, they went back to the office, then my sister ended up getting almost everyone in the office sick. (My sister was asymptomatic so had no idea she had it.)
Old Nov 17th 2020, 7:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of building changes to cater for COVID, every other urinal / sink blocked off, only 2 in the lift
Urinals in the lift? That's not very private
Old Nov 17th 2020, 7:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Super convenient though.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 9:48 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Reminds me of this yank visiting a European beer festival and then washing his hands with piss cake

Old Nov 17th 2020, 10:04 pm
Oscar nominated

Reminds me of this yank visiting a European beer festival and then washing his hands with piss cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-OYM7AhW7Q
I have a vague recollection of a Norwegian comedy show on TV in the UK. A sort of candid camera segment featured a guy with one of the bowl kind of urinals strapped to his body, as a mobile toilet. Standing at the bottom of an escalator in a subway station I think.
Old Nov 20th 2020, 12:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

So with today's announcement you going back to full-time work from home?

Old Nov 20th 2020, 6:06 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So with today's announcement you going back to full-time work from home?
Yep. The company wide email came out this morning saying the 'return to office' plans have been scrapped until further notice.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 11:30 am
Lowering the tone

We had a work social last week. The company delivered a box of 4 gin or whisky samples to everyone on the project and then at 4pm on the Friday we had a teams meeting with either the gin or the whisky expert who took us through a tasting session. It was great fun and a good opportunity to have non-work chats with colleagues.
Old Dec 11th 2020, 11:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
We had a work social last week. The company delivered a box of 4 gin or whisky samples to everyone on the project and then at 4pm on the Friday we had a teams meeting with either the gin or the whisky expert who took us through a tasting session. It was great fun and a good opportunity to have non-work chats with colleagues.
That sounds like fun! And not a karaoke machine or photocopy of someone's bum in sight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.