Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Words that cause a double take (add to the list please...)

Words that cause a double take (add to the list please...)

Old Jul 5th 2015, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Words that cause a double take (add to the list please...)

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
"Lairy" was a common Australian word, in my distant youth there. I always thought it originated there, but maybe not. So many London words were transported to Oz with the speakers. To us, it meant "flash" as an adjective, and a lair was a flash-Harry. Is it the same with you?
We widely used "Lairy" in London over at football you would always hear "F*****g lairy c***S shouted at the other supporters.

My guess is it comes from some sort of cockney slang.
Old Jul 5th 2015, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
I had to do the bollocks vs dog's bollocks explanation the other weekend.

I have also introduced her to the wonder of 'cockwomble'.

She did also wonder why I was laughing at someone's name on a list, it was "John Thomas". Yes, I'm childish, and I explained the joke, which she duly notified the person about, to some hilarity!
I had the same problem with bollocks, trying to describe "its bollocks and "the bollocks" got the Canadians confused, made them laugh though!
Old Jul 9th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
I had the same problem with bollocks, trying to describe "its bollocks and "the bollocks" got the Canadians confused, made them laugh though!
I had to go through exactly the same conversation last weekend, i had to explain why i said "tell them to go and bollocks" in reaction to some boat purchasing deal that went wrong for the person i was talking to, and then a little later I said I was pacing myself on my beer intake as i didnt want to get to "bollocksed" total confusion ensued! LOL!

Oh and another couple of word when referring to the fairer sex.... "Birds" and "talent" LOL

A Canadian friend of mine has now took to using "mate" "wanker" "puff" and "tosser" now when communicating with me. It sounds hilarious!

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Jul 9th 2015 at 5:18 pm.