Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

Old Jun 20th 2021, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

I came across this on reddit this morning, I think I just found my next book to read. It sounds like a very well written expose that many have suspected but until now no real solid reporting on it.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...stseller-list/

Investigators and intelligence officials... uncovered shocking international criminal behaviour in Canada, which was often covered-up by senior officials in law enforcement and government. The title targets the “wilful blindness” of a host of Canadian officials and politicians, many of them named who have looked the other way for decades while “a network of narcos, tycoons and CCP agents infiltrated the West.”

Reddit discussion.

US considers Canada a major money laundering country, and has noted Canada's weaknesses in enforcement and prosecution when it comes to money laundering.

But if it's true senior Canadian officials in law enforcement and government are in on in some way, explains the lack of interest in fixing it.

Old Jun 21st 2021, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

Much of that book was published in the Vancouver Sn over the previous 5 or 6 years.

He's managed to tie a lot more together since those articles.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 1:34 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I came across this on reddit this morning, I think I just found my next book to read. It sounds like a very well written expose that many have suspected but until now no real solid reporting on it.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...stseller-list/

Investigators and intelligence officials... uncovered shocking international criminal behaviour in Canada, which was often covered-up by senior officials in law enforcement and government. The title targets the “wilful blindness” of a host of Canadian officials and politicians, many of them named who have looked the other way for decades while “a network of narcos, tycoons and CCP agents infiltrated the West.”

Reddit discussion.

US considers Canada a major money laundering country, and has noted Canada's weaknesses in enforcement and prosecution when it comes to money laundering.

But if it's true senior Canadian officials in law enforcement and government are in on in some way, explains the lack of interest in fixing it.
The rule of law is lapse in Canada.

Gun crime and murder has been a problem for years in Toronto and no one ever gets arrested.

We've had an illegal marijuana store trade in our neighbourhood for years and the criminals who run it despite having multiple convictions walk around untouched.

People can go years with out paying taxes and get away by doing "deals".

It's the Canadian dream. It's why people move here for their children.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The rule of law is lapse in Canada.

Gun crime and murder has been a problem for years in Toronto and no one ever gets arrested.

We've had an illegal marijuana store trade in our neighbourhood for years and the criminals who run it despite having multiple convictions walk around untouched.

People can go years with out paying taxes and get away by doing "deals".

It's the Canadian dream. It's why people move here for their children.
It's true, Canada follows the sort of small government and high personal freedom model. In a society where people follow the rules for the greater good, this is fine. It is also nice to enjoy so much freedom. A good example I always think of with this is speed limits. Literally everyone breaks the limits (mainly because they're stupidly low), however there is very little government intervention to change this asides from the occasional cop here and there which are usually easy to spot. Nothing like the speed cameras you have in Europe. However this culture is easily exploited by nefarious forces unfortunately. My father in law originally from Italy has commented that people here have "too much freedom".

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jun 22nd 2021 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Case in point: MSN: CRA audits of ultra-wealthy Canadians yield zero prosecutions, convictions

I'm also going to order a copy of the book, seems like a good read.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
It's true, Canada follows the sort of small government and high personal freedom model. In a society where people follow the rules for the greater good, this is fine. It is also nice to enjoy so much freedom. A good example I always think of with this is speed limits. Literally everyone breaks the limits (mainly because they're stupidly low), however there is very little government intervention to change this asides from the occasional cop here and there which are usually easy to spot. Nothing like the speed cameras you have in Europe. However this culture is easily exploited by nefarious forces unfortunately. My father in law originally from Italy has commented that people here have "too much freedom".
Err, the fact that Ontario has the North American record for longest covid lockdown, and both provincial and federal governments have been sued multiple times over the last 15 months due to draconian restrictions beg to differ with this.

The speed limits and the cops that seek to ding everyone for every little km over are not an example of freedom.

I would argue I have more freedom here in Malta (southern Europe) where it is very unlikely that anyone is going to enforce things like speed limits. Speed cameras do not result in an increase in insurance or loss of license like in Ontario where if you get pulled over for 150km/h (perfectly reasonable speed in parts of Europe) you will get your license suspended and car towed.

The land of high personal freedoms lies in the US. Canada has more of a "collectivism" culture and things are usually done "for the greater good" rather then "for *my* greater good."
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 8:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit

The land of high personal freedoms lies in the US.

I think this highly arguable. Bill Gates has a high degree of personal freedom and says he enjoys that aspect of wealth, he says he doesn't have to worry about school fees or medical bills. People in the US who do have to worry about paying their children's school fees and medical bills are less free than those who live in a country where such items are funded through taxation. They are wage slaves.

I suggest that the highest level of personal freedom is achieved in states that offer comprehensive social services funded through taxation while having few controls on freedom of expression. Switzerland and Norway are examples.

Enforcement of laws is not repression but, FWIW, I received a speeding ticket for going at 105 mph on highway 89. It's usually marked 80/50mph but I was on a curve when the limit is lower. This was within the past eight years. I received a stiff talking to and an enormous fine, appropriate in the circumstances, no towing, no suspension. YMMV.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 8:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on state Americans can have some direct control as well

California is probably the best example of that. California is technically not a direct democracy but they are about as close as one can get in North America.

California voters have more power than seems anywhere in Canada.

Politicians pass legislation voters don't like, voters can collect signatures, get enough eligible signatures and get the issue on the ballot.

Governor screwing up get enough signatures and a recall election can be forced.

More broad freedom of speech in the US as well.

Err, the fact that Ontario has the North American record for longest covid lockdown, and both provincial and federal governments have been sued multiple times over the last 15 months due to draconian restrictions beg to differ with this.

The speed limits and the cops that seek to ding everyone for every little km over are not an example of freedom.

I would argue I have more freedom here in Malta (southern Europe) where it is very unlikely that anyone is going to enforce things like speed limits. Speed cameras do not result in an increase in insurance or loss of license like in Ontario where if you get pulled over for 150km/h (perfectly reasonable speed in parts of Europe) you will get your license suspended and car towed.

The land of high personal freedoms lies in the US. Canada has more of a "collectivism" culture and things are usually done "for the greater good" rather then "for *my* greater good."
Old Jun 24th 2021, 12:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Simple. Don't break the speed limit. You are trying to compare apples to oranges when it comes to speed limits.. don't go there.
https://www.insurance4carhire.com/bl...ines-in-europe
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_...enforcement_en

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 24th 2021 at 12:41 am.
Old Jun 24th 2021, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

So the speed limit is 100 km/h in Ontario with just a few areas of 110 km/h (402, QEW in an area and 417 east of Ottawa) and we all know the speed limit is 100 km/h for most highways. But you think 150 km/h is reasonable and then think that if you get pulled over for going above the speed limit your freedoms are in danger. First world problems. Think about some of the freedoms that people in much of the world don't have and your upset that you can't go as fast as you 'think' is reasonable because either a) your car is capable of going that fast and of course you have to get somewhere at 150 km/h or b) if anyone in authority challenges this they are challenging your freedom. Of course at 150 km/h your reaction time is just as good as at 100 km/h, any swerving cars etc can be avoided just as easily.

Speaking of europe, I've had 3 speeding tickets since 1990...one in england, one in spain and one in italy. All three via speed cameras and I got the gift in the mail. I think they were for going about 66 in a 50 mph zone (dbd's preferred measurements mph), going 112 km/h in a 100 km/h zone in Spain and going 123 km/h in a 110 km/h zone in Italy. Not huge amounts over the speed limit and I was following the flow of traffic so others probably got the gift as well.

High personal freedoms come with a price as others have mentioned about medical/educational costs. etc.

Old Jun 24th 2021, 3:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

More broad freedom of speech in the US as well.
This is also arguable, there are few limitations on hate speech in the US but the absolute freedom to insult is a limitation on the freedom of others to live in peace. Practically speaking, there's nothing a decent person could say in the US and not in Canada, the UK, Switzerland or Norway.

Old Jun 25th 2021, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is also arguable, there are few limitations on hate speech in the US but the absolute freedom to insult is a limitation on the freedom of others to live in peace. Practically speaking, there's nothing a decent person could say in the US and not in Canada, the UK, Switzerland or Norway.
I actually came across an interesting series of tweets today that says journalists are often afraid to report on things in Canada due to the libel laws. Thats why news in Canada is often “boring” while transnational crime such as what is covered in this book goes unreported.

Bill C36 risks eroding freedom of speech even further.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
So the speed limit is 100 km/h in Ontario with just a few areas of 110 km/h (402, QEW in an area and 417 east of Ottawa) and we all know the speed limit is 100 km/h for most highways. But you think 150 km/h is reasonable and then think that if you get pulled over for going above the speed limit your freedoms are in danger. First world problems. Think about some of the freedoms that people in much of the world don't have and your upset that you can't go as fast as you 'think' is reasonable because either a) your car is capable of going that fast and of course you have to get somewhere at 150 km/h or b) if anyone in authority challenges this they are challenging your freedom. Of course at 150 km/h your reaction time is just as good as at 100 km/h, any swerving cars etc can be avoided just as easily.

Speaking of europe, I've had 3 speeding tickets since 1990...one in england, one in spain and one in italy. All three via speed cameras and I got the gift in the mail. I think they were for going about 66 in a 50 mph zone (dbd's preferred measurements mph), going 112 km/h in a 100 km/h zone in Spain and going 123 km/h in a 110 km/h zone in Italy. Not huge amounts over the speed limit and I was following the flow of traffic so others probably got the gift as well.

High personal freedoms come with a price as others have mentioned about medical/educational costs. etc.
Right but aforementioned speed cameras do not result in vehicle impound and a court appearance. Only money.

In Ontario even for the smallest speeding ticket your insurance is going up by 10% for 3 years.

I used 150km/h because that's when "street racing" kicks in in Ontario; that or 50 km/h over the limit. I try to stay below that and other then that I take my chances. I can afford the increased insurance.
Old Jun 25th 2021, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Simple. Don't break the speed limit. You are trying to compare apples to oranges when it comes to speed limits.. don't go there.
https://www.insurance4carhire.com/bl...ines-in-europe
https://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_...enforcement_en
CanadaJimmy was the one who brought it up. I was merely replying with a counterpoint.

I feel more comfortable breaking the limits in Europe when all I get is a fine in the mail then in Canada where you get pulled over, get a ticket, have to go to court to fight it, and if you lose or don't fight the ticket you have to pay more in insurance.

The limits in Europe are also higher and more in line with how I drive so chances are I wouldn't speed on the mainland anyway, i'd be driving with the flow of traffic.

Ontario speed limits are arbitrarily low and I don't believe in following arbitrary rules...as I said above I take my chances and stay below the speed racing threshold.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 2:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I actually came across an interesting series of tweets today that says journalists are often afraid to report on things in Canada due to the libel laws. Thats why news in Canada is often “boring” while transnational crime such as what is covered in this book goes unreported.

https://twitter.com/stephenpunwasi/s...614753793?s=21

https://twitter.com/stephenpunwasi/s...967333376?s=21

Bill C36 risks eroding freedom of speech even further.
I don't know if this is a true representation of the libel laws in the two countries but, even if it's accurate, it seems to me a huge stretch to suggest that crime reporting in Canada is constrained by libel laws. Lots of people are named as, for example, reputed United Nations gang member Raj Ramaladingdong. Is there any history of the Ramaladingdongs suing the websites and newspapers that name them?

I haven't seen the news in Canada for a couple of decades but, when I did, it was dull because nothing happens in Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.