Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

Old Jun 26th 2021, 2:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wilful Blindness, expose of corruption in Canada

Originally Posted by Gozit

In Ontario even for the smallest speeding ticket your insurance is going up by 10% for 3 years.

That's how insurance works. In Canada. In the UK. In Europe. I don't know if they have car insurance in North Korea but, if they do, you can be sure that increasing the risk increases the premiums, same as everywhere else.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 4:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A speeding ticket won't necessarily raise your premiums in BC if you don't get more than 1 within the point assessment period.

A speeding ticket won't necessarily increase your insurance rates in BC, depends on type of ticket.

General run of the mill speeding ticket is 3 points, generally takes 4 or more points for ICBC to add penalty point premium.

Now if you got a speeding ticket + undue care or such then your over 4 points.

Speeding and red light tickets done by photo, the ticket goes to the registered owner not the driver necessarily but photo tickets result in 0 points.

​​​​​​I have gotten 1 ticket in BC for speeding 113 in a 100km zone on hwy 1. I got 3 points but no increase in premium.

I am now back to 0 points.

​​​​​

Old Jun 26th 2021, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Right but aforementioned speed cameras do not result in vehicle impound and a court appearance. Only money.

In Ontario even for the smallest speeding ticket your insurance is going up by 10% for 3 years.

I used 150km/h because that's when "street racing" kicks in in Ontario; that or 50 km/h over the limit. I try to stay below that and other then that I take my chances. I can afford the increased insurance.
With all due respect, your sense of entitlement is coming through loud and clear. We get it, you're young, think societies rules apply to others, have money (either yours or you are a trustafarian), and so think that if you were still in Ontario (which I gather you escaped from at the first opportunity due to your belief that Ontario is some sort of gulag due to perceived unreasonable restrictions due to Covid) then you should have the right to drive up to 50 km/h over the limit (100 km/h in a 50 km/h zone is just plain stupid FYI and even 150 km/h on a 100 km//h road is crazy in a traffic situation) and just pay a fine and not have your insurance company informed. The brutal reality of it is that those who habitually speed statistically end up either the cause of accidents or victims of accidents which drives up premiums.

Increased insurance rates can be a real kick in the teeth when you see increased premiums...and for what. The ability to get from A to B in a slightly shorter time frame and meanwhile you run the risk of getting in an accident or causing an accident etc and fuel consumption takes a hit. Police officers and speed cameras take a dim view of this sort of stuff.

I think you can 'try' to stay below the street racing threshold...it isn't that difficult.

Last edited by Partially discharged; Jun 26th 2021 at 12:58 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 12:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, I expect corruption is rampant in Canadian government but I bet it's not as funny as the rampant corruption in the UK government (sound on):

Old Jun 26th 2021, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Anyway, I expect corruption is rampant in Canadian government but I bet it's not as funny as the rampant corruption in the UK government (sound on):
https://mobile.twitter.com/OFalafel/...39929798483972
Very very funny. Great use of Norwich's finest broadcaster.

Old Jun 26th 2021, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's how insurance works. In Canada. In the UK. In Europe. I don't know if they have car insurance in North Korea but, if they do, you can be sure that increasing the risk increases the premiums, same as everywhere else.
Not all places. In Malta its just based on how much your car is worth and age of the driver.

Penalty points and tickets are not taken into account, and even if it were the insurance is very cheap. The car i borrow here the annual insurance renewal is around 100 eur and it was 40 eur to add me as a secondary driver under 25yrs of age.

Vs my insurance $275/mo in Canada. 2 minor convictions that will fall off in 2022.

One i deserved, second I fought and got reduced.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not all places. In Malta its just based on how much your car is worth and age of the driver.

Penalty points and tickets are not taken into account, and even if it were the insurance is very cheap. The car i borrow here the annual insurance renewal is around 100 eur and it was 40 eur to add me as a secondary driver under 25yrs of age.

Vs my insurance $275/mo in Canada. 2 minor convictions that will fall off in 2022.

One i deserved, second I fought and got reduced.
Seeing as you are in Europe you might want to avoid speeding/breaking traffic laws in these European countries

https://zutobi.com/uk/driving-guides...nd-fines-in-eu

Norway minimum fine of 711 Euros for going over 110 kmh.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
With all due respect, your sense of entitlement is coming through loud and clear. We get it, you're young, think societies rules apply to others, have money (either yours or you are a trustafarian), and so think that if you were still in Ontario (which I gather you escaped from at the first opportunity due to your belief that Ontario is some sort of gulag due to perceived unreasonable restrictions due to Covid) then you should have the right to drive up to 50 km/h over the limit (100 km/h in a 50 km/h zone is just plain stupid FYI and even 150 km/h on a 100 km//h road is crazy in a traffic situation) and just pay a fine and not have your insurance company informed. The brutal reality of it is that those who habitually speed statistically end up either the cause of accidents or victims of accidents which drives up premiums.

Increased insurance rates can be a real kick in the teeth when you see increased premiums...and for what. The ability to get from A to B in a slightly shorter time frame and meanwhile you run the risk of getting in an accident or causing an accident etc and fuel consumption takes a hit. Police officers and speed cameras take a dim view of this sort of stuff.

I think you can 'try' to stay below the street racing threshold...it isn't that difficult.
I never said I would drive 100 in a 50. That would be extremely reckless.

However - 90 in a 50 and 140 in a 100 carry the same penalty and same insurance increase however the latter is done by a good chunk of drivers, not just myself as stated by CanadaJimmy.

The penalty for the former should be MORE, the penalty for the latter should be LESS, OR we should just raise the motorway and carriageway speed limits on a good chunk of the roads. (80km/h to 100km/h and 100km/h to 120-130km/h.) Raising the 402 and parts of 417 and QEW to 110 is a good start.

The reality is in a lot of places in Europe you can legally cruise the motorway at 130 or even 140. In Canada this is mostly capped at 100km/h with consistent enforcement. So call me reckless all you want but all i'm advocating for is the same rules as a majority of US states, and EU countries.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

BC anyhow the highways in general are well not on par with US Highway system, smaller, more congested and BC did raise limits along some, but then reduced them again because accidents increased.

Some highways now have variable speed limits based on road conditions. Coquihalla can be 120 in good dry weather.

Although going up our car can't do 120 at all, we can get to about 110.

Going down gravity alone can get you over 120, I was going down hill at 125 and still being passed by cars and semi trucks.

You just need to cross the border and the instant your on the US side you can tell US DOT takes Highway safety more seriously, actually use reflectors so visibility is so much better in rain and dark, in BC it can be like driving blind due to how poor the road markings are and lack of reflective paint and cat eyes.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC anyhow the highways in general are well not on par with US Highway system, smaller, more congested and BC did raise limits along some, but then reduced them again because accidents increased.

Some highways now have variable speed limits based on road conditions. Coquihalla can be 120 in good dry weather.

Although going up our car can't do 120 at all, we can get to about 110.

Going down gravity alone can get you over 120, I was going down hill at 125 and still being passed by cars and semi trucks.

You just need to cross the border and the instant your on the US side you can tell US DOT takes Highway safety more seriously, actually use reflectors so visibility is so much better in rain and dark, in BC it can be like driving blind due to how poor the road markings are and lack of reflective paint and cat eyes.
Variable speed limits is definitely something I would be on board with in Ontario. It makes complete sense. I was always taught drive how you're comfortable given the conditions
SO if its pouring rain I may only do 90 in a 100 zone, maybe even slower. But on a sunny day with little traffic i'm comfortable at 130-140.

My experience is the opposite. Ontario has very well paved, well marked highways. Michigan it is so bumpy, lanes are narrow, and exits are confusing and close together. Even then, the speed limit is 75 miles/hour or 120km/h. Which means I can go 80mph / 130km/h without really being noticed by the troopers, a speed in Ontario which i have been pulled over at before.

It doesn't bother me though as I love the adrenaline rush of trying to navigate it.
Old Jun 26th 2021, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

BC has crummy highways and really has no freeway system, nothing comparable in BC to what Toronto area has.

Variable speed limits is definitely something I would be on board with in Ontario. It makes complete sense. I was always taught drive how you're comfortable given the conditions
SO if its pouring rain I may only do 90 in a 100 zone, maybe even slower. But on a sunny day with little traffic i'm comfortable at 130-140.

My experience is the opposite. Ontario has very well paved, well marked highways. Michigan it is so bumpy, lanes are narrow, and exits are confusing and close together. Even then, the speed limit is 75 miles/hour or 120km/h. Which means I can go 80mph / 130km/h without really being noticed by the troopers, a speed in Ontario which i have been pulled over at before.

It doesn't bother me though as I love the adrenaline rush of trying to navigate it.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 12:27 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I never said I would drive 100 in a 50. That would be extremely reckless.

However - 90 in a 50 and 140 in a 100 carry the same penalty and same insurance increase however the latter is done by a good chunk of drivers, not just myself as stated by CanadaJimmy.

The penalty for the former should be MORE, the penalty for the latter should be LESS, OR we should just raise the motorway and carriageway speed limits on a good chunk of the roads. (80km/h to 100km/h and 100km/h to 120-130km/h.) Raising the 402 and parts of 417 and QEW to 110 is a good start.

The reality is in a lot of places in Europe you can legally cruise the motorway at 130 or even 140. In Canada this is mostly capped at 100km/h with consistent enforcement. So call me reckless all you want but all i'm advocating for is the same rules as a majority of US states, and EU countries.
..............and totally irresponsible and foolhardy - putting others at risk as well as yourself.

You are showing your age

European freeways and autobahns are totally different to roads like the 401! Don't try comparing apples with oranges

This attitude is why so many european drivers think Canadian drivers are terrible! If you want to drive recklessly, stay in Europe.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 27th 2021 at 12:30 am.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Siouxie
..............and totally irresponsible and foolhardy - putting others at risk as well as yourself.

You are showing your age

European freeways and autobahns are totally different to roads like the 401! Don't try comparing apples with oranges

This attitude is why so many european drivers think Canadian drivers are terrible! If you want to drive recklessly, stay in Europe.
I don't think the EU or the US thinks their drivers are reckless.

Just a difference in opinion.

I'd go to a drag strip, but alas, they haven't been allowed to open until very recently.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
BC has crummy highways and really has no freeway system, nothing comparable in BC to what Toronto area has.
Fair enough. I've never been to BC so I can't really comment but i'd like to and would likely rent a car if I did go.
Old Jun 27th 2021, 11:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

I'd go to a drag strip, but alas, they haven't been allowed to open until very recently.

Bracket racing is a blast. It has nothing to do with driving though, it's all react time and sandbagging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.