Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why is my name so difficult for the Canadians?

Wikiposts

Why is my name so difficult for the Canadians?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is my name so difficult for the Canadians?

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, I've seen that, very droll.

Perhaps you have a link for the accent most often used by helmeted nincompoops who believe that Canada is still living in the early 1950's?
Perhaps you could learn to tolerate a different view from your own? Look, enough of this, I didn't come here to argue with you. Lets talk about accents and lighten up a bit.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Perhaps you could learn to tolerate a different view from your own? Look, enough of this, I didn't come here to argue with you. Lets talk about accents and lighten up a bit.
What precisely did you come here to talk about, then? As far as I can recall, it was about a rather silly attitude towards modern Canadian multiculturalism?

I'm OK with tolerating a different view to my own.

Are you?

<didn't think so>
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

What precisely did you come here to talk about, then? As far as I can recall, it was about a rather silly attitude towards modern Canadian multiculturalism?

Are you?

<didn't think so>
Well you tolerate me at least
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Well you tolerate me at least
So far. Don't push it. OK?

Edit: It's midnight EDT. Beddy time.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:03 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Are you?

<didn't think so>
To sum up my point one last time for you, I believe Canada (and all of the Americas for that matter) always was and should continue to be a mix of cultures, not a separation of them. I realize that you don't understand the difference and my last analogy for you is that if you have ever seen the movie Gladiator when Russell Crowe is in the Coliseum the first time and tells the other gladiators that they have a better chance to survive if they fight as one. Maybe a football or hockey analogy of playing together as a team instead of a group of individuals, maybe you have heard the expression "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts"? People immigrating to the new world from different backgrounds have always melted together to form a more cohesive society.The nation and indeed the 2 American continents as well as NZ and OZ were built this way, different people coming together. I feel that in many areas the population is growing further apart rather than coming closer together and that multiculturalism combined with many not learning the languages of the country are the prime reasons.
I am not going to answer or talk about this anymore on this thread or perhaps any other. We can start a new one to discuss the future of Canada if you want, but I don't see the point if you can't understand the point I am making. In this thread i would rather play with the different accents and the situations Brit immigrants can find themselves in during routine everyday life.

Last edited by Lord Vader; Mar 25th 2009 at 4:07 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 5:07 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Why is the name "Gaynor" so difficult for the Canadians to understand ?????

It's the Welsh, isn't it, lookyou!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

I'm Daniel and whenver I say my name over the phone I get called Darrel or Damian or something... lol
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Poole Clan is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Why is my name so difficult for the Canadians?

I'm so glad to hear that there are other people that suffer this problem and to think I thought it was only me! My name is 'Sara' oh 'Sarah' they say no 'Sara not Sarah' and they just look at me blankly!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody gets confused with my name

But this is a nation brought up on Anne of Green Gables.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
To sum up my point one last time for you, I believe Canada (and all of the Americas for that matter) always was and should continue to be a mix of cultures, not a separation of them. I realize that you don't understand the difference and my last analogy for you is that if you have ever seen the movie Gladiator when Russell Crowe is in the Coliseum the first time and tells the other gladiators that they have a better chance to survive if they fight as one. Maybe a football or hockey analogy of playing together as a team instead of a group of individuals, maybe you have heard the expression "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts"? People immigrating to the new world from different backgrounds have always melted together to form a more cohesive society.The nation and indeed the 2 American continents as well as NZ and OZ were built this way, different people coming together. I feel that in many areas the population is growing further apart rather than coming closer together and that multiculturalism combined with many not learning the languages of the country are the prime reasons.
I am not going to answer or talk about this anymore on this thread or perhaps any other. We can start a new one to discuss the future of Canada if you want, but I don't see the point if you can't understand the point I am making. In this thread i would rather play with the different accents and the situations Brit immigrants can find themselves in during routine everyday life.
Am I being totally thick but WTF is this all about
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:25 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Jane, but most Canadians pick it up as Jean. Doesn't bother me too much as that's my Gran's name.

Weirdest spelling of my name so far though: Gene Ferguter!!! wtf???

Last edited by pinkmcfarquhar; Mar 28th 2009 at 2:25 am. Reason: grammar
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
I'm Jane, but most Canadians pick it up as Jean. Doesn't bother me too much as that's my Gran's name.

Weirdest spelling of my name so far though: Gene Ferguter!!! wtf???
You wouldnt even believe some of the Burton too - and it is one of the most popular snow boarding brands here too
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:32 am
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

reminds me of the episode of friends with the quiz over the flat - and Chandler gets a magazine to Miss Chanandler Boing
Old Mar 28th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

My son is called Luke, but 99% of the time he tells people his name they think it is Leek!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:26 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp
My son is called Luke, but 99% of the time he tells people his name they think it is Leek!
what a shame!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.