Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

And then there was the demonstration experiment at school (maybe 2nd/ 3rd year of grammar skool) when teach was making H2 in a Kipps apparatus.

He drily explained that you had to wait long enough to have the H2 expel all the air from the glass apparatus before lighting the H2 which would then burn safely in air.

He was impatient.

Kerrrbannng!

Conc. sulphuric acid splattered over everyone.

Ah! Happy days.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And then there was the demonstration experiment at school (maybe 2nd/ 3rd year of grammar skool) when teach was making H2 in a Kipps apparatus.

He drily explained that you had to wait long enough to have the H2 expel all the air from the glass apparatus before lighting the H2 which would then burn safely in air.

He was impatient.

Kerrrbannng!

Conc. sulphuric acid splattered over everyone.

Ah! Happy days.

Is it Mg ribbon that creates lots of wispy airborne ash when it burns? I think I recall our chemistry teacher burning what seemed like yards and yards of the stuff and the whole lab being filled with these floating gossamer cobwebby things, but that might have been something else.

I also remember a complete lack of concern (other than scolding us for breakage) when a mercury thermometer broke: we pushed the little beads of Hg round the bench top.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 2:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Is it Mg ribbon that creates lots of wispy airborne ash when it burns? I think I recall our chemistry teacher burning what seemed like yards and yards of the stuff and the whole lab being filled with these floating gossamer cobwebby things, but that might have been something else.
You were at Public School. Those were condoms.

Edit: Sorry Oak, just the mood of the moment. TBH it's been a while since I indulged in Mg combustion, but I think your floating gossamer might have been something else.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 25th 2009 at 2:07 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 12:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I NEVER WANT TO HEAR A WORD ABOUT BORING BLOCK HEATER AND SNOW TIRES THREADS FROM EITHER OF YOU AGAIN
Old Mar 26th 2009, 3:17 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by iaink;
I NEVER WANT TO HEAR A WORD ABOUT BORING BLOCK HEATER AND SNOW TIRES THREADS FROM EITHER OF YOU AGAIN
Ha! Bloody engineers.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

I really have to say that I posted this thread - as others have done before - just to demonstrate why I am personally glad I did this move. It did not intend for this thread to be turned into a chemistry lesson for some poor child to stumble over and learn what Mg will do or to build a bomb (which I feel some of the posts have turned into)

I have been called small minded which I think is not very nice.

I rarely start a thread in the Maple Leaf as I prefer to Help in the other sections and now I know why.

Thank you guys for restoring my faith in people being compassionate about others concerns
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

spanners is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I really have to say that I posted this thread - as others have done before - just to demonstrate why I am personally glad I did this move. It did not intend for this thread to be turned into a chemistry lesson for some poor child to stumble over and learn what Mg will do or to build a bomb (which I feel some of the posts have turned into)

I rarely start a thread in the Maple Leaf as I prefer to Help in the other sections and now I know why.

Thank you guys for restoring my faith in people being compassionate about others concerns

wish i lived in canada
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spanners
wish i lived in canada
Well spanners you soon will be - live, love and dream and it will all come true
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:20 am
Born again atheist

Oh for heaven's sake, lighten up (pun intended). I assure you that all the activities described above occurred pre-internet.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

:curse:
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh for heaven's sake, lighten up (pun intended). I assure you that all the activities described above occurred pre-internet.
Thank you Novo I really do not think that people are as compassionate as I am but I am finding people on this forum more than RUDE:curse:
Old Mar 29th 2009, 3:59 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livermanl
I'm pleased about being in Canada cause the name Gaynor gets converted to Jill .
Then they would struggle if both me and gaynor was in the room, but mine is Gill not Jill
Tried the link and its been moved, would be interested in the link again if there is a new one

Must remember to check stuff daily, not arrive on old threads
I know what you mean though gaynor about rather here than there, i have been passed a few links about the schools in the area that i used to live, glad i am here in town

LB
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:42 pm
pittys place off we go!!!

pittysplace is an unknown quantity at this point

This news article was brought to my attention by my mom and is about the town I used to live in - the shopping centre was about 10 minutes from my old house and the school is the one which my daughter attended.

http://www.tamesideadvertiser.co.uk/...eged_bomb_plot

Prettty damn frightening
Hi there is it alberta where you are living now????? how long have you been over there??? we leave widnes, cheshire in august to start a new life just outside edmonton....arrrrgh so scary but also so exciting regards julie