Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Wikiposts

Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:17 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Originally Posted by livermanl
Interesting enough.

I agree that there should be a level of parental supervision regarding the internet as there are some creeps, but censorship of scientific information is what i am getting at?
Well it is very interesting to find out what new planet we find in a far off galaxy, but I don't want to find that my hypothetical 13 year old, has disected the cat because he found how to do it on the internet.
I suppose I am in agreement that some things that cause the misery and hurt of others should be censored, but then who am I to say what they would be, there are many things that we find acceptable in this world that other countries, religions reject and disagree with, however I'm pretty certain that the making of proper bombs should be left to those in the know not to some kid who found it on the internet or some extremist faction with a vendetta, but I am afraid it is too late for many, should we stop it from happening to others, I think so!
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:25 am
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy
Well it is very interesting to find out what new planet we find in a far off galaxy, but I don't want to find that my hypothetical 13 year old, has disected the cat because he found how to do it on the internet.
What if he later became a vet?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:34 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by livermanl
What if he later became a vet?
He'd have plenty of time to dissect stuff whilst studying, without chopping up our poor Mr whiskers. I suppose if that were to happen (bearing in mind this is hypothetical) I would be very proud of him and it would have served a purpose. At the time though, I'd think he had problems and cart him off to a shrink. better an odd vet with a thing for dissecting animals, than a murderer with a home made bomb.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:45 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

, however I'm pretty certain that the making of proper bombs should be left to those in the know not to some kid who found it on the internet or some extremist faction with a vendetta, but I am afraid it is too late for many, should we stop it from happening to others, I think so!
Simple basic school chemistry will show you what you need to know to make a bomb, nobody needs the internet, a certain type of sugar as your oxidant, and a type of metal power, and a source of ignition all this will be taught in class by thirteen, push the sugar type one way and pick a more reactive metal and the bang gets bigger, they should know this by fourteen, no internet needed….. just basic chemistry

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I find that very insulting - I am an intelligent person who believes that kids shouldnt be doing this stuff
Tough!
Kids do things, they’re learning, sometimes they cross the line and not always innocently (even if they are mostly good kids), when the world wakes up and gets what curiosity is really about and how fundamental it is to the future of the world. Its real time learning in the real world, experimenting with life and not just in the sterile boring environment of the class room, it’s taking what you’ve been taught and testing it out to see if it’s real and if people stop trying to suppress it if they think it might hurt or to save the stupid from themselves, we might actually start making some progress in this world
Old Mar 25th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Tough!
Kids do things, they’re learning, sometimes they cross the line and not always innocently (even if they are mostly good kids
I know they do things my point is pointless vandalism
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:01 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

With knowledge comes responsibility to use it wisely, something many, but not all teens perhaps lack. The problem comes in regulating that intangible, so its easier to say , "just dont".

As for dissecting cats, dont most serial killers start with torturing animals first, its one of those psychological markers isnt it?

But getting back on track, an incident (presumably isolated) at your old school isnt really a logical reason in itself to move countries, especially to one with some history of school "incidents", but then whats logical about moving countries anyway...
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:01 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Simple basic school chemistry will show you what you need to know to make a bomb, nobody needs the internet, a certain type of sugar as your oxidant, and a type of metal power, and a source of ignition all this will be taught in class by thirteen, push the sugar type one way and pick a more reactive metal and the bang gets bigger, they should know this by fourteen, no internet needed….. just basic chemistry
Not everybody pays that much attention in Chemistry class, however it is easy to find a list of ingredients and instructions on the Internet, therefore making it an ideal tool for people to use to cure their curiosity. Before the internet it was harder for kids to find out this information, To fill in the gaps of their knowledge they'd have to go to the public library, Its Not so easy to sneak around when you have to sign out a book called "How to make a bomb"
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Before the internet it was harder for kids to find out this information,
Not so, before the internet my elder brother was taught to make gunpowder in A level chemisty....its not rocket science. People are so squeemish about this stuff now, and really its just paranoia to some extent. Maybe it was better to do this stuff in a controlled atmosphere like school than to have curious boys, perhaps bored of all the super safe PC boring suff they are now allowed to be shown in Chemistry, out making bombs in their own time?

Even in my day, a few years later we were doing thermite experiments in class, but thats now deemed too dangerous too! Chemistry now I suspect is a very dull subject, at least until you get to University

And another thing, Information technology has probably made it far easier to catch people looking for bombmaking info, as I type CSIS or one of the other security agencies might well have electronic monitoring of IP addresses and access to certain sites etc, and BE is now on some list to monitor thanks to this thread and keyword phrases in it. Rather different times now to librarians with paper file cards.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 25th 2009 at 7:11 am.
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Not everybody pays that much attention in Chemistry class, however it is easy to find a list of ingredients and instructions on the Internet, therefore making it an ideal tool for people to use to cure their curiosity. Before the internet it was harder for kids to find out this information, To fill in the gaps of their knowledge they'd have to go to the public library, Its Not so easy to sneak around when you have to sign out a book called "How to make a bomb"
Before the Internet it was harder for parents to get the same amount of information...
Tootsie BattyFace

Originally Posted by iaink
With knowledge comes responsibility to use it wisely, something many, but not all teens perhaps lack. The problem comes in regulating that intangible, so its easier to say , "just dont".

As for dissecting cats, dont most serial killers start with torturing animals first, its one of those psychological markers isnt it?

But getting back on track, an incident (presumably isolated) at your old school isnt really a logical reason in itself to move countries, especially to one with some history of school "incidents", but then whats logical about moving countries anyway...

It was a hypothetical cat so do I now have a hypothetical serial killer son?

It in itself is not a reason to move, but one that reaffirms to the OP that they made the right choice in making the move.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:12 am
Tootsie BattyFace

Not so, before the internet my elder brother was taught to make gunpowder in A level chemisty....its not rocket science. People are so squeemish about this stuff now, and really its just paranoia to some extent. Maybe it was better to do this stuff in a controlled atmosphere like school than to have curious boys out making bombs in their own time?

I stand corrected, and wish I'd done that kind of thing in school, we barely got the Bunsen burners out after some Idiot (a teacher) set fire to the art work on the wall, every time we did there was some smart alec who'd try and make a bonfire with the wooden splints.
I agree it would be less of a lure to youngsters if they got the full thing rather than a tantalizing glimpse, however there are always going to be those odd few that will push it to the limits.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:13 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

It was a hypothetical cat so do I now have a hypothetical serial killer son?

It in itself is not a reason to move, but one that reaffirms to the OP that they made the right choice in making the move.
Hypothetical cats is physics isnt it, not biology or chemistry

And, its still a random occurence which probably isnt logically significant in any way, but people tell themselves what they need to anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:16 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Two points

Teenage boys will give you 100% undivided focus when you talk about explosions and dangerous reactions in chemistry every single time…….

As for the library as a teenager I learnt the simple principles of uranium extraction purification and how to isolate the isotopes from a library book. Do you really think the librarian take that much notice who takes out what, And even (by pure luck I’ll admit) got my own copy via a church book sale
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:17 am
Part Time Poster

Hypothetical cats is physics isnt it, not biology or chemistry

And, its still a random occurence which probably isnt logically significant in any way, but people tell themselves what they need to anyway.
Schrödinger’s

And it not confirmed dead until you open the box
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Karma sent for bothering with the umlaut

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.