Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Wikiposts

Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:02 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I am glad I now live in Canada - what about you ?

These sorts of threads are the funniest ones to sit back and read
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Simple basic school chemistry will show you what you need to know to make a bomb, nobody needs the internet, a certain type of sugar as your oxidant, and a type of metal power, and a source of ignition all this will be taught in class by thirteen, push the sugar type one way and pick a more reactive metal and the bang gets bigger, they should know this by fourteen, no internet needed….. just basic chemistry
Originally Posted by iaink
Not so, before the internet my elder brother was taught to make gunpowder in A level chemisty....its not rocket science. People are so squeemish about this stuff now, and really its just paranoia to some extent.

Even in my day, a few years later we were doing thermite experiments in class, but thats now deemed too dangerous too! Chemistry now I suspect is a very dull subject, at least until you get to University

I'm glad I wandered into this thread... Mike and Iain are quite right. I was in high school in the 1970s - long before the internet was invented. There was no trouble getting detailed information about explosives and pyrotechnics. My high school's library had plenty of encylopedias and other reference books full of data and formulae. I found myself amused when the big bad internet started getting the blame for teens experimenting with pyrotechnics... the necessary information has been widely available free for decades, but nobody was blaming libraries for having too many books.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:36 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Please (both of you) take the hint in the spirit it was intended, family read forum yada yada yada....I bit of inuendo here and there is OK, but dont push your luck. (Note nothing was deleted either)

You really dont want me to start paying too much attention to whats posted I suspect. If you dont believe me go to the rules and read the last bit of rule 2 that I didnt post, as it seemed like overkill under the circumstances....
< Butch

/\/\<Mark

<><point were we would consider someone was overstepping said mark.

Good job for me, eh.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:44 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I'm glad I wandered into this thread... Mike and Iain are quite right. I was in high school in the 1970s - long before the internet was invented. There was no trouble getting detailed information about explosives and pyrotechnics. My high school's library had plenty of encylopedias and other reference books full of data and formulae. I found myself amused when the big bad internet started getting the blame for teens experimenting with pyrotechnics... the necessary information has been widely available free for decades, but nobody was blaming libraries for having too many books.
Oooh! A chemistry thread!

I recall mixing the ingredients for gunpowder in a rather large mortar and pestle thingy during a chemistry lab at school. My mate (honest guv, wasn't me) decided we needed a bit more carbon but unfortunately the bottle was empty. Being highly edumacated we decided to make our own carbon by burning a wooden ruler.

That part worked.

However, being impetuous youf, we neglected to assure that the newly minted carbon had sufficiently cooled down before adding it to the mix.

The result was a particularly impressive volcano of spitting fire which did not improve the decoration in the lab one iota and caused the mortar to decease with astonishing abruptness.

The teacher (Mr. MacDonald god rest his soul) raised his eyes and observed the carnage wryly.

"Castrian", he said, "Please use more moderate quantities in the future".

And returned to his reading.

The rest is history. I was smitten.

<True Story>.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

My Chemistry teacher said when he first met me I was a shrinking violet but by the time I left I was a blooming nuisance

Oh well, I passed anyway
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oooh! A chemistry thread!

I recall mixing the ingredients for gunpowder in a rather large mortar and pestle thingy during a chemistry lab at school. My mate (honest guv, wasn't me) decided we needed a bit more carbon but unfortunately the bottle was empty. Being highly edumacated we decided to make our own carbon by burning a wooden ruler.

That part worked.

However, being impetuous youf, we neglected to assure that the newly minted carbon had sufficiently cooled down before adding it to the mix.

The result was a particularly impressive volcano of spitting fire which did not improve the decoration in the lab one iota and caused the mortar to decease with astonishing abruptness.

The teacher (Mr. MacDonald god rest his soul) raised his eyes and observed the carnage wryly.

"Castrian", he said, "Please use more moderate quantities in the future".

And returned to his reading.

The rest is history. I was smitten.

<True Story>.
Well done!

I have plenty of true stories, but I don't think I'll be sharing many of them on a public forum... it's a wonder I and my best mate from those days still have 10 fingers each. I'll allow that we discovered the thermite reaction works just as well with chromic oxide as it does with ferric.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Well done!

I have plenty of true stories, but I don't think I'll be sharing many of them on a public forum... it's a wonder I and my best mate from those days still have 10 fingers each. I'll allow that we discovered the thermite reaction works just as well with chromic oxide as it does with ferric.
And of course even better with half Al and half Mg.

<we'll be getting a knock on the door later I expect >
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

And of course even better with half Al and half Mg.

<we'll be getting a knock on the door later I expect >
Yep, much easier to light that way. Salting the blend with Grignard reaction pieces made for quite a show.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:27 pm
Born again atheist

Yep, much easier to light that way. Salting the blend with Grignard reaction pieces made for quite a show.
Bugger. Grignard reaction would have to be googled these days. You know what I do.

<it has something to do with Mg, I remember that much>
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bugger. Grignard reaction would have to be googled these days. You know what I do.

<it has something to do with Mg, I remember that much>
I only did an actual Grignard reaction once, in an organic chem lab. Found lots of other uses for those big lumps of Mg, though
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:39 pm
Born again atheist

I only did an actual Grignard reaction once, in an organic chem lab. Found lots of other uses for those big lumps of Mg, though
I have the impression that I did it twice, but at least 35 years ago.

Mg ribbon, though, whoar!! Not to mention lumps of Na lobbed out of the lab window on snowy days.

On a sombrer note, I bet you did all those retrospectively daft things with Hg just like I did. Some may think the effects are already obvious from my posts on here.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

On a sombrer note, I bet you did all those retrospectively daft things with Hg just like I did. Some may think the effects are already obvious from my posts on here.
Of course I did... still wound up overeducated, though.

The "mercury beating heart" is a pretty cool demo.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mg ribbon, though, whoar!! Not to mention lumps of Na lobbed out of the lab window on snowy days.
Watching Mg ribbon burn in a pure CO2 atmosphere was pretty wild.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:09 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to think that was the reaction I was holding inside the fume cupboard whist trying to slow it down using a ice bath........

I was adding a organic ligand to some transition metal

the reaction went critical, I got 100% addition in less than a second (honest it worked I'm sure) and most of the rest of the reactants on the fume cupboard window

and a handful of broken glass

googled Grignard reaction.. that wasn't it........ but it did produce an amazingly fast reaction at about 0 deg C
Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:17 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I seem to think that was the reaction I was holding inside the fume cupboard whist trying to slow it down using a ice bath........

I was adding a organic ligand to some transition metal

the reaction went critical, I got 100% addition in less than a second (honest it worked I'm sure) and most of the rest of the reactants on the fume cupboard window

and a handful of broken glass

googled Grignard reaction.. that wasn't it........ but it did produce an amazingly fast reaction at about 0 deg C

Well yes, but when I lived in a baked bean tin at Uni, there was a framed fragment of a pyrex stopcock left by a previous grad student who had been working with ozone.

The caption was, "Lest We Forget".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.