Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What's the 'daftest' thing you've done???

What's the 'daftest' thing you've done???

Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:43 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the 'daftest' thing you've done???

thats about right eh
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:43 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
....as a young graduate, took a day off 'sick' to go for an interview, broke down on the M1, and my boss stopped to help me....
And what was your good excuse?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What's the 'daftest' thing you've done???

Came clean. Boss had a good laugh at my expense, accepted I was exploited and I got a pay rise. Jammy, eh?

Never did live it down!
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:26 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Came clean. Boss had a good laugh at my expense, accepted I was exploited and I got a pay rise. Jammy, eh?

Never did live it down!
Well, there's a saying in Brazilian Portuguese: "Quem não chora, não mama. (He who doesn't cry, doesn't suckle)" You probably know it as "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

I once got dressed in the dark then went to my work.
I thought there was something on the bottom of one of my shoes as they went 'click' 'clunk' 'click' 'clunk'.
It wasn't until I was due to leave that one of my workers asked why I had one BALCK shoe and one BROWN shoe on!
Never lived that one down either!
Kenny
Old Feb 8th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Was retracing my steps today as I lost my lovely gold bracelet yesterday. Went back to all the shops in the mall, going from one to another asking the assistants if anyone had handed it in. At the end of the day, no luck. Then, sheepishly had to retrace all my steps again as I left my gloves on a shop counter. Eventually found my gloves, bracelet lost forever methinks
dont give up hope! I lost my gold locket that i wore for my wedding with picture of us on honeymoon inside! I lost it when i took a group of my students to there college placement. I called the cab compnay and the college when i realised it was missing but no one found it. Changed jobs in the school i was working at but roughly 18months later i took some more students to the college as the new lady was off. One of the tutors invited me into there staff room for a chat. THe room was empty so just picked any seat, turned to talk to her and there on the window ledge was my locket! i was speechless. I asked her who it belonged to and she didnt know. I asked if she would open it and described the pic she would find in it, which she did. I was so made up i called my husband at work in tears. Hopefully your bracelet will turn up just when you are not expecting it???
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:36 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jempee
dont give up hope! I lost my gold locket that i wore for my wedding with picture of us on honeymoon inside! I lost it when i took a group of my students to there college placement. I called the cab compnay and the college when i realised it was missing but no one found it. Changed jobs in the school i was working at but roughly 18months later i took some more students to the college as the new lady was off. One of the tutors invited me into there staff room for a chat. THe room was empty so just picked any seat, turned to talk to her and there on the window ledge was my locket! i was speechless. I asked her who it belonged to and she didnt know. I asked if she would open it and described the pic she would find in it, which she did. I was so made up i called my husband at work in tears. Hopefully your bracelet will turn up just when you are not expecting it???
Well, I for one believe in finding things lost. When I was a teen, I lost an ivory cigarette holder that belonged to my mom in a bar. Had a hole in my pocket and only realised the loss when I reached for it. Well, the bar was packed and after waiting for everyone to leave it, me and a friend searched everywhere to no avail. Ten years later, I found it at a flea market. Asked for the price and after that, I asked the guy where it came from. He said it came from Rio! Wonder what happened to it during this ten-year intermission...

Well, I bought it and tried to make a surprise to my mom. She was very pleased, but said, since I had all that trouble (?) I surely deserved to keep it with me. And I keep it here, in my study.

I've got a picture of it, but don't know how to post it.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LHK
Well, I for one believe in finding things lost. When I was a teen, I lost an ivory cigarette holder that belonged to my mom in a bar. Had a hole in my pocket and only realised the loss when I reached for it. Well, the bar was packed and after waiting for everyone to leave it, me and a friend searched everywhere to no avail. Ten years later, I found it at a flea market. Asked for the price and after that, I asked the guy where it came from. He said it came from Rio! Wonder what happened to it during this ten-year intermission...

Well, I bought it and tried to make a surprise to my mom. She was very pleased, but said, since I had all that trouble (?) I surely deserved to keep it with me. And I keep it here, in my study.

I've got a picture of it, but don't know how to post it.
great story. makes me wonder why these things happen? just before i found mine again my grandad had died, i like to think he found/led me to it. Yes i know theres no truth to that before others jump on that statement but i like to think of it that way as it was quite a low point in my life.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 7:32 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

Just uploaded it in the photo gallery:

Old Feb 8th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

Steve, that is flippin`hilarious! sitting here howling all by my lonesome.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the daftest thing I have ever done that pops to mind was just after I had had my 3 rd baby.

It was my very first outing with the new born and I had a 4 year old in tow. We popped into the Post Office , got some stamps at the counter and I promptly exited the store leaving my baby in there!

I didnt get very far before realizing what I had done but I had to sheepishly go back in there and retreive him very red in the face .oops
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ha . love it
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:24 am
LHK
Forum Regular

Just remembered the first time in my life I flew. I went to Rio with my mom on an Electra, a turboprop aircraft, back in the early 1970s... First thing I asked the stewardess as soon as I stepped onto the plane was "Where are the parachutes?"

Then, when they brought coffee, I proudly picked up my wallet and said to mom: "Don't worry, Ma, the coffee is on me!"
Attached Thumbnails What's the 'daftest' thing you've done???-0140113.jpg  

Last edited by LHK; Feb 9th 2007 at 12:27 am.