Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

my god where to go what to do

my god where to go what to do

Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough
Default my god where to go what to do

taken the plunge and going out to BC to take a look around. any suggestions where to go etc etc.got the books but i would love to hear from anyone with suggestions....... bring it on... so sarcastic posts please, im trying to serious myself..
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:25 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: my god where to go what to do

Originally Posted by glenn wilson
taken the plunge and going out to BC to take a look around. any suggestions where to go etc etc.got the books but i would love to hear from anyone with suggestions....... bring it on... so sarcastic posts please, im trying to serious myself..
Okanagan and Columbia Valley
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

vancouver island.

on the mainland we have only been to Grouse mountain and capilano bridge as in touristy things but enjoyed both.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lovely lake just outside of Hope, BC. We parked up at the rest stop as we wondered why there were so many others there. Then we saw the lake through the trees I swam fully clothed lol - had been on the road from Kamloops for most of the day and it was 30 degrees. My swimming gear was somewhere in the suitcase, so I thought what the heck! There were no men in white coats around to try and charge us for parking/swimming. I have fond memories of a lovely day
Old Feb 7th 2007, 9:59 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

How long for ?

Suggest Vancouver, Fraser Valley towns/cities, Kamloops, Okanagan, possibly Kootenays and BC Rockies if you get time. If you want big city be sure to spend quality time in Vancouver. If not, avoid Vancouver and travel further afield.

If a serious recce trip, avoid at all costs any touristy crap, nice I'm sure but you need to focus on the relocation apsect, try to arrange to meet a few locals to give you the real run down. A flexible itinerary will help, if you like a place spend a couple more days there. But, if you can spend some time narrowing down your search, that will get you more bang for your recce buck.

To narrow the search, do you want big city/small town. Mountains, lake, ocean ? Laid back or bustling diverse metropolis. Close to transport or back of beyond. Access to international flights, or connecting flights, close to US border ? Somewhere with employment opportunity, or self employment opportunity, or bit of both. Fancy tapping into the tourist sector in BC ? Weather, British style, or hot dry summer / cold winters (4 season style). Close to ski-ing ? Got any specific hang ups...fear of Asian people, religious cults, country folk ? Budget for real estate decided yet ?

Clarity on all these points will help dicate your best suited location and thus your itinerary.

Rich.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 11:28 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
If a serious recce trip, avoid at all costs any touristy crap
simple eh!

Why how much touristy crap do you do in your home town day to day?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 12:59 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
Why how much touristy crap do you do in your home town day to day?
Uhhhh....sightseeing/photography/scenery, go for a bit of a ramble to see somewhere new. Poke around the Okanagan area, go find somewhere/do something new. Visit/eat out at a local winery. Rent a boat, bum around on the lake. Things I can do most anytime I feel like it. Much more to add if I wasn't actually in residence here. But not really things I'd advise to include in a recce trip.

The benefit of living in a temperate, tourist/leisure-friendly locale.

Rich.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough

thanks all, im going to be knackered ...............but satisfied..... is BC arena worth taking a look at?....
Old Feb 8th 2007, 6:47 pm
Lotus-eater

thanks all, im going to be knackered ...............but satisfied..... is BC arena worth taking a look at?....
Uh...see post #6 on this thread. Touristy crap, innit. Are you going to live/work there ? If not, scratchumoffadalist.

Rich.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 7:11 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Pile of crap IMHO. We stayed in a hotel that looked right into it in the downtown area. Lovely road bridge next door to it as well.

Heed Rich's advice