Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 1st 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by rwin
It seems all you can get here is Indian style Indian food.
I used to work for an Indian guy in Montreal and he told me he prefered the Indian food in England compared to the Indian food in India!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=iaink;5375361]Prawn Cocktail crisps...or are we agreed that "All dressed" is basically the same thing?QUOTE]

I wondered what to liken them to, I thought they were spicy ketchup flavour but now you've said Prawn Cocktail, yeah i can see where your coming from

Things i miss which (sadly) can't be posted to here are:-

Fish & Chips (chip shop style)
"English" Indian food
"English" Chinese food
Sausages & bacon
& my family and friends

I think when we go back to visit, we'll have to visit all our friends & Family in the local Indian, Chinese or Fish& Chip shop
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about that Greek dish? If you can't find it, it's because you're living in New Brunswick Go to Montreal, or Vancouver, or Toronto, or anywhere with a sizable Greek community, and you'll find it all over the menus!

It's not that it doesn't exist in Canada - you happen to be living in a part of Canada where there's not a large Greek community. Then again, there are probably foods you can get in New Brunswick that we don't get out here in BC.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 11:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

People craving quality cheese have only to get themselves to Toronto. Affordable quality beer is a bigger problem.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:44 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I know that when we do eventually get back to England we will go to the Silver Jubilee in Potters Bar and have one of their FANTABULOUS Doner Kebabs. Ooooh could eat one right now, with just a little bit of chilli sauce please.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 12:46 am
Forum Regular

Karen1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura aboutKaren1203 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NB Sue
Having read another post about shopping in Canada made me think about food items that are difficult to find over here. To me it makes no difference as I haven't yet found anything that would convince me not to immigrate but is there anything you miss from the UK or where ever else you might have lived that surprises you or makes you smile. Or is there something you get your mother to mail to you on the sly each month?

Here is your chance to confess or give us a laugh.

Keep it clean.....

I miss Taramasalata (try spelling that when you haven't seen any for over a year!)

What do you miss?
Hey Sue, is there not an A&P near you - I have seen Taramasalata in there for sure!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:48 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Bet you can't get what I had yesterday here - Marmite Rice Cakes, yum yum
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Wrong, wrong and yuk, yuk.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by G77
Yummy - I'm still in the UK so where did you get them?
Love marmite, going to ship laods!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:04 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
Are you talking about that Greek dish? If you can't find it, it's because you're living in New Brunswick Go to Montreal, or Vancouver, or Toronto, or anywhere with a sizable Greek community, and you'll find it all over the menus!

It's not that it doesn't exist in Canada - you happen to be living in a part of Canada where there's not a large Greek community. Then again, there are probably foods you can get in New Brunswick that we don't get out here in BC.
That's a good point. Supermarkets sell what the local population wants to buy. Gatineau is 95% Canadian-born (mainly Quebeckers). The immigrant population is mostly Francophone African or Arab. Thus, you can find almost anything connected with BBQ, fondue or couscous. Marmite, Branston pickle and risotto rice are much harder to obtain.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 11:42 am
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

I miss the burger vans you used to get in the carparks of the big DIY stores and the little greasy spoons that were scattered about.
Those big soft french sticks full with bacon...butter dripping all over the place...hhhmmmm.
We got some scottish butchers round our way, not the same as back home and the price is outrageous.
Here it always seems to be 'Chip Trucks' and then the 'chips' are cr*p!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:16 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dive06
I miss the burger vans you used to get in the carparks of the big DIY stores and the little greasy spoons that were scattered about.
Those big soft french sticks full with bacon...butter dripping all over the place...hhhmmmm.
We got some scottish butchers round our way, not the same as back home and the price is outrageous.
Here it always seems to be 'Chip Trucks' and then the 'chips' are cr*p!!
When we went for our recce to Vancouver I noticed I couldn't find a joint of lamb, or thick cut bacon- are these to be found?
Terese
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Where I am Lamb is available, but its expensive, and usually frozen.

Peameal / Canadian back bacon is readily available, usually a bit thicker than UK standards, but you can buy chunks and cut it to suit I suppose. It comes without the streaky tail bit of the rasher if you know what I mean. UK style back bacon rashers are hard / impossible to find unless you are lucky to know a butcher prepared to do it for you.

Standard "Bacon" here is usually "streaky" bacon ...but I love that if you oven cook it at a low temp till its crispy...so I dont miss greasy chewy bacon at all Now I'm drooling thinking about a crispy bacon butty....

Last edited by iaink; Oct 2nd 2007 at 4:32 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:26 pm
To Infinity and Beyond

Dive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud ofDive06 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by terese677
When we went for our recce to Vancouver I noticed I couldn't find a joint of lamb, or thick cut bacon- are these to be found?
Terese
You can get thick cut bacon, they call it P-Meal bacon over here, its the closest to Danish you will get...but its nowhere the same :curse:
My family are not big Lamb eaters, but you can get a nice joint from the supermarkets.

My Mum and Dad visit regulary from the UK and they always go on about how much better the joints and cuts of meat are over here. We had a fantastic piece of Roast Beef the other day, one of the best I have ever tasted. So its not all doom and gloom
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 4:27 pm

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Here at least Lamb is expensive, and usually frozen.

Peameal / Canadian back bacon is readily available, usually a bit thicker than UK standards, but you can buy chunks and cut it to suit I suppose. It comes without the streaky tail bit if you know what I mean. UK style back bacon rashers are hard / impossible to find unless you are lucky to know a butcher prepared to do it for you.

"Bacon" here is usually streaky rashers...but I love that if you oven cook it at a low temp till its crispy...so I dont miss greasy chewy bacon at all
Thank you, at least I know they're there somewhere
Terese

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.