Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

Originally Posted by Lychee
Strange. You can find them in Greater Vancouver no problem. Have you tried Squamish?
Ahh, so long as i know they do exsist i shall continue the great chicken hunt...

Will report back any progress
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:30 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You could ask dbd for one of his?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

We get whole chickens in Kelowna - but not cheap - and they offer frying and roasting options - what's the difference(don't say one you fry, one you roast)! How do you breed chickens one of which is best for frying (how do you fry a whole chicken?) and one that is ideal as a roaster??

I'd like to find Galaxy chocolate......hmnnnn, having a Homer Simpson moment. Galaxy. Hmn....
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

Hi Robski - re the chicken. You'll occasionally find a roasting chicken in Safeway or CostCo etc but mostly its chicken pieces. More often you'll find 2 or more tiny little chickens sold together and marked as frying chickens. Not a lot of meat on them!

The way around it is to find a local farm supplied / organic type store or go to the farmers direct. We do this now and are getting fabulous chickens. If you have a local Hutterite colony near you - talk to them too - they raise chickens and sell them locally - there is usually a waiting list though - so get on it asap.

Also, the slaughtering of decent chickens is seasonal - and I believe (chicken owners please step in here!) - that this time of year a lot of the old layers are sold off cheap (so chicken prices come down a bit in the shops) but they are not good birds to roast. I'm not sure what is optimal chicken buying time - but our supplier did their slaughtering mid summer - we have 8 whole birds in the freezer now!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to beholdladymoose is a splendid one to behold

PS - Also check out the frozen section in the supermarket - often you'll find them there instead of in the fresh section.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ann m
Ok -I'm going to go for it, but if my tpyng truns out worng nxet tmie, yuo'll konw i had an acicdnet wtih my knfie !!
Perhaps in order to save you and us the pain of accidental amputation if you are going to be buying this bacon on a regular basis you should consider a meat slicer $119.99 at London Drugs.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Calgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really niceCalgary Colemans is just really nice

Maybe an odd one, but I'm missing smoked fish...like smoked mackrel and haddock....also hot smoked salmon (the stuff I found was like rubber) We like kedgeree and fish pies made with the above.

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:01 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Iced tea buns, decent scones, Chorley cakes, currant buns, petit fours.

I don't 'ave a sweet toof 'onest.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

We are not there yet, but one year when my OH was over he bought back a smoker with him. We addapted it to our power and we often smoke (hot) salmon, sausages, anything going actually, and we use the empty box on top to cold smoke cheese......had loads of friends bidding for our smoker when we leave. Why not try it.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:53 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

~ Cress and mustard

~ nice tart Bramley cooking apples

~ Paxo stuffing ( well actually you can get it but you have to cook it in a saucepan. I tried baking it in the oven and it turned into a house brick)!

~ Rowntree's jelly

~ Adnams Broadside

~ Spicy beanburgers (used to get from Tesco)

~ Sandpaper on a roll (just by the length you want. Far superior to the silly stuff in Canada)
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Cress
I think I saw this, called broccoli sprout. Is that the same stuff? I certainly haven't been able to find seeds, wanted to grow them on kitchen roll with my kid too
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:08 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Morton's rolls. The nice chewy ones with the burnt top (or as my Mum says "Well fired.").
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

DOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant futureDOBBIE has a brilliant future

Twiglets
Mini Cheddars
Salt and vinegar Hola Hoops
European tour golf on the tv.

Thankfully - up to date Coronation street and NO Eastenders

Calgary Colemans - I saw smoked haddock in Canadian Superstore at the weekend - not frozen and it looked ok.....

Cheers

Dobbie
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:19 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOBBIE
I saw smoked haddock in Canadian Superstore at the weekend - not frozen and it looked ok.....

I've had frozen kippers and frozen herring recently and they were reasonably good.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 5:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
~ Adnams Broadside
Sob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.