Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"We're doing it for the children..."

"We're doing it for the children..."

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "We're doing it for the children..."

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Considering it was at 8/hr for nearly 10 years, its about time it went up. Companies paying min. wage are not known for giving raises voluntarily.
However you look at it, prices will go up. Just cannot understand why such a fuss over HST, which will benefit the province and save us all money, although the fear mongers saying we're going to be $200 a year worse off. Yet a 28% rise in minimum wage goes without a whisper and is going to yank prices way up. Anyone getting the rise is going to need it to pay for higher cost of living. Not to mention some employees may be only worth $8 an hour, so we may end up with a larger pool of unemployable people.

Many restaurants pay minimum and staff reply on tips as part of their pay. All in a fuss over the HST and how it was going to affect tipping, which it seems not to have done, not from me anyway. Perhaps if they get a 28% pay rise we don't need to tip at all!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
However you look at it, prices will go up. Just cannot understand why such a fuss over HST, which will benefit the province and save us all money, although the fear mongers saying we're going to be $200 a year worse off. Yet a 28% rise in minimum wage goes without a whisper and is going to yank prices way up. Anyone getting the rise is going to need it to pay for higher cost of living. Not to mention some employees may be only worth $8 an hour, so we may end up with a larger pool of unemployable people.

Many restaurants pay minimum and staff reply on tips as part of their pay. All in a fuss over the HST and how it was going to affect tipping, which it seems not to have done, not from me anyway. Perhaps if they get a 28% pay rise we don't need to tip at all!
Servers who serve liquor wont see 10.25/hr the minimum there will be 9.00/hr.

I bet most on here get raises more frequently then once a decade, and I'd venture many if they added up an annual raises over a decade probably come close to or exceed 28%.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

6 months doesnt seem like enough time to make an informed decision if you ask me, thats slap bang when culture shock and all that are most likely to be clouding your judgment.
I have to agree with this. 6 months in, I remember having a blazing row with Mr Chookie and saying I hated this country. I am glad that he didn't take me seriously, because I don't hate it really, I actually like living here.

Originally Posted by dbd33
What amused me about the MBTTUK thread was that people moved so their children could play outside without having to be scheduled and driven. They could just have gone to Nova Scotia.
Funny - we live in Calgary, and my kids play outside without any scheduling or me driving them anywhere - I open the door and kick them out.... (first making sure they have hats, coats and gloves on in winter). There are huge amounts of kids that live in the couple of streets around us and they ALL play out together - in fact there are 9 OPK's (Other People's Kids) in my front garden along with my kids at this moment.

We didn't move here for the kids - we moved for the entire family... or if you want to know the real reason we moved here, I suggested it to Mr Chookie as a joke after consuming several pints of beer... and the bastard took me up on it!

I don't regret it though.