Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"We're doing it for the children..."

"We're doing it for the children..."

Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:54 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "We're doing it for the children..."

[QUOTE=Auld Yin;9526633]
Originally Posted by No1_mom
Houses in Canada might be cheaper but the minimum wage is also lower

Your statement about minimum wage is not entirely correct. As of October coming min.wage in UK for adults will be £6.08 p/h or Can $9.42 at todays rate.

Minimum wages in Canada are as follows:-
Province General Wage
Alberta $8.80 Alberta Employment and Immigration
BC $8.75 B.C. Ministry of Labour
Manitoba $9.50 Manitoba Labour and Immigration
New Br. $9.50 New Brunswick Employment Standards
Nfld $10.00 Labour Relations Agency
NWT $10.00 Education, Culture and Employment
NS $9.65 Labour and Advanced Education
Nunavut $11.00
Ontario $10.25 Ministry of Labour
PEI $9.30 Community Services, Seniors and Labour
Quebec $9.65 Commission des normes du travail
Sask. $9.25 Saskatchewan Labour
Yukon $9.00

Out of the 13 areas 8 are higher today that the UK's will be in October.
BC's is going up to 10.50 (i think)
Old Aug 19th 2011, 2:31 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Well, we actually did move to Canada for our children. And I couldnt give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about it.
Which is why you felt the need to post this obviously.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:43 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I saw some time ago a newspaper article about this and it basically said what you did, that children in north America nowadays don't mature until they are in their mid-thirties.

From my completely biased viewpoint I'd tend to agree.
based on OH's friends I'd say that was true.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:47 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Seem to be lots of people emigrating to NZ. Any reason why they shouldn't ?

I wouldn't but each to their own.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Aug 19th 2011 at 4:06 am.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:00 am
Banned

Lemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud ofLemi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jericho
Well, we actually did move to Canada for our children. And I couldnt give a rats ass what anyone else thinks about it.
That's a fairly emphatic endorsement in favor of Sherwood Park. What in particular led you to the conclusion that your kids were ill-equipped to hack it back in England?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:43 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
That's a fairly emphatic endorsement in favor of Sherwood Park. What in particular led you to the conclusion that your kids were ill-equipped to hack it back in England?
I think they recently moved away from Sherwood Park to Nova Scotia somewhere, which implies the former is a bit shit for kids
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think they recently moved away from Sherwood Park to Nova Scotia somewhere, which implies the former is a bit shit for kids
Maybe they moved to Sherwood Park "for the children" then lost interest in them and moved to Nova Scotia "for the adults".
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I wouldn't but each to their own.
Not quite the well structured info I was looking for.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemi
Really? Just going by posts read on here that seldom seems to be the case. Plus, "stuff" for kids to do out here invariably appears to involve the outlay of large wads of dosh.
What do you consider large wads of cash?

Maybe its geographical, I hear soccer in Calgary costs stupid amounts of money.

Where I am in "small town Ontario" Soccer costs $75 per kid ,up to a max of $225 per family for a season
Figure skating Canskate program is $230 for the season
Piano lessons are less than $20 a session
Monthly family YMCA membership (includes swim lessons) $90 a month, plus there is something in that for the grown ups too.
Kids ski passes are $305 for the season if you buy early (under fives a whopping $25 a year, cant beat that!), plus another $275 for the race club membership (loads of coaching), or else $100 for a 5 lesson program.
The local library has all sorts of low cost or free kids programs.
Karate via the school was $30 a month

I suppose it all ads up, but personally I think for what they get out of it its a bargain, and frankly once school is in there isnt time to do it all anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 19th 2011 at 1:47 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:01 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What do you consider large wads of cash?

Maybe its geographical, I hear soccer in Calgary costs stupid amounts of money.

Where I am in "small town Ontario" Soccer costs $75 per kid ,up to a max of $225 per family for a season
i assume that doesnt include boots and shin pads?..i was level 3 FA Coach in England and ran our local boys team from under 7 - under 13 i gave all my coaching time for free and the boys were given kit for free and were never charged a penny for anything... we raised our funds through sponsorship and holding an all day tournament once a year.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i assume that doesnt include boots and shin pads?..i was level 3 FA Coach in England and ran our local boys team from under 7 - under 13 i gave all my coaching time for free and the boys were given kit for free and were never charged a penny for anything... we raised our funds through sponsorship and holding an all day tournament once a year.
No, Just shirts shorts and socks. Shin pads are mandatory. Its hardly a "break the bank" item.

Its no surprise that footy is cheaper in the UK, but what about everything else?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:43 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

No, Just shirts shorts and socks. Shin pads are mandatory. Its hardly a "break the bank" item.

Its no surprise that footy is cheaper in the UK, but what about everything else?
Cricket?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:44 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have thought buying ski equipment, a piano, skates, fuel, food, drink, etc all adds up on top of the total. Not to mention the cost of time.

Having kids certainly isn't cheap in both countries

I guess you have to feel lucky your kids aren't into motorbike (sport bike) racing
Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd have thought buying ski equipment, a piano, skates, fuel, food, drink, etc all adds up on top of the total. Not to mention the cost of time.

Having kids certainly isn't cheap in both countries

I guess you have to feel lucky your kids aren't into motorbike (sport bike) racing
No one is pretending having kids is cheap, and whether you are here or there you will need to get the appropriate gear. The time costs nothing, its a pleasure to hang out with my kids. (Ask me again in 5 years!)

Stuff like skis and skates are obviously going to be cheaper here in Canada just cos of supply/ demand, and the availability of used gear, but then I doubt my kids would do either of those if we lived in the UK. I know I could never have got my Digital piano in the UK for anything close to what I paid here. They are more than double in the UK!

Im just posting the costs for me of the activities we do for information purposes, Im not a high roller by any means, but we have the money to do this stuff. Lemi says it costs a shed load to sign kids up where he is, but hasnt so far given any costs, maybe its far more for him where he is. I dont think two or three activities at a couple of hundred a head is too out to lunch. Skiing is the expensive one, and this year we are not getting the full passes as we are doing skating instead. This year we will get night passes for $100 each ($25 still for the youngest) instead to keep us all out on the slopes. We already have the gear after all.

I forgot golf... thats $200 for the summer including weekly lessons and some 9 hole green fees for me. Got to indoctrinate them young before they get a mind of their own. Dont want them to take after dbd!

Last edited by iaink; Aug 19th 2011 at 5:00 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:31 pm
Beep

No one is pretending having kids is cheap, and whether you are here or there you will need to get the appropriate gear. The time costs nothing, its a pleasure to hang out with my kids. (Ask me again in 5 years!)

Stuff like skis and skates are obviously going to be cheaper here in Canada just cos of supply/ demand, and the availability of used gear, but then I doubt my kids would do either of those if we lived in the UK. I know I could never have got my Digital piano in the UK for anything close to what I paid here. They are more than double in the UK!

Im just posting the costs for me of the activities we do for information purposes, Im not a high roller by any means, but we have the money to do this stuff. Lemi says it costs a shed load to sign kids up where he is, but hasnt so far given any costs, maybe its far more for him where he is. I dont think two or three activities at a couple of hundred a head is too out to lunch. Skiing is the expensive one, and this year we are not getting the full passes as we are doing skating instead. This year we will get night passes for $100 each ($25 still for the youngest) instead to keep us all out on the slopes. We already have the gear after all.

I forgot golf... thats $200 for the summer including weekly lessons and some 9 hole green fees for me. Got to indoctrinate them young before they get a mind of their own. Dont want them to take after dbd!
Looking at the recent posts though, moving to Canada for the kids is a HUGE investment and shows either blind faith or extreme confidence the ROI is worthwhile.

Not only do you have the at least $300 per month per kid (guesstimate) running costs as a minimum (i would imagine Vancouver / Toronto to be more expensive), you have the $15k (guesstimate) start up costs.

So knowing the huge cost of kids, i need to decide...........Kids or Boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.