Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

"We're doing it for the children..."

"We're doing it for the children..."

Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:54 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "We're doing it for the children..."

Originally Posted by iaink
No, Just shirts shorts and socks. Shin pads are mandatory. Its hardly a "break the bank" item.

Its no surprise that footy is cheaper in the UK, but what about everything else?
i know shin pads are mandatory so are shirts boots shorts and socks

Skating isnt a popular past time in the UK nor is skiing..cricket is cheaper than baseball to my knowledge and rugby is cheaper than Amercian football and field hockey cheaper than ice hockey..swimming is more expensive i have found in Canada not by much though

i dont own a Piano so cant comment or have ever been to the YMCA..I agree the libaries here are fanstastic compared to the UK
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. I thought people moved to Canada to get away from the kids.

All you seem to read on here is that people can't stand all the kids, being kids, loudmouthed, drunk, shagging in skips, spitting and generally being chavy chop yobbos.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
So knowing the huge cost of kids, i need to decide...........Kids or Boat
Boat. At least you can sell it, or let it sink.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A cost not mentioned so far is that of sending the children home once or twice a year. Granted they can typically stay with relatives but still a couple of flights a year per child is not an inconsiderable bill.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot golf... thats $200 for the summer including weekly lessons and some 9 hole green fees for me. Got to indoctrinate them young before they get a mind of their own. Dont want them to take after dbd!
I thought of you last night when we passed a stretch of chemicalized wasteland. There, next one of those motorized buggy things people cart their beer and sticks about on, was a man in a lilac polymer shirt and pink shorts. This ludicrous vision screamed "Cadillac Owner".
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:15 pm
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JamesM
Each to their own.......who are you to judge?
Well said
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Skating isnt a popular past time in the UK nor is skiing..cricket is cheaper than baseball to my knowledge and rugby is cheaper than Amercian football and field hockey cheaper than ice hockey..swimming is more expensive i have found in Canada not by much though

i dont own a Piano so cant comment or have ever been to the YMCA..I agree the libaries here are fanstastic compared to the UK
We skate and ski because thats what there is to do, if we were in the UK the kids would be doing who knows what, probably field hockey and golf as thats what I used to do.

None of which is really relevant is it, Im not quire sure what you mean by Rugby is cheaper than american football etc? To play? To buy equipment? To sign kids up for?

The bottom line is what counts. What activities to parents in the UK have their kids doing, and what do they cost. So far I seem to the only one to give hard numbers for what my kids activities actually cost.

As a teen playing hockey in the UK (the grass kind) the match fees were about £5 a game, and I had to but shirts and track suit, etc etc, plus annual subs that were about £100 a year. That was 30 years ago, I doubt its got much cheaper since.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 19th 2011 at 6:29 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I thought of you last night when we passed a stretch of chemicalized wasteland. There, next one of those motorized buggy things people cart their beer and sticks about on, was a man in a lilac polymer shirt and pink shorts. This ludicrous vision screamed "Cadillac Owner".
I wouldnt be caught dead owning a cadillac
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

None of which is really relevant is it.

The bottom line is what counts. What activities to parents in the UK have their kids doing, and what do they cost.
yeah costs a lot more here than the UK..in a nut shell
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:28 pm
Every day's a school day

In fact if you compare countries to school kids..Canada is the kid that has all the kit and the richest parents..but they're still shit at sport and no wants them on their team.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What activities to parents in the UK have their kids doing, and what do they cost.
Seems to cost quite a bit less here, some of the prices in your list shocked me! For instance you said school karate was $30 a month, but here most after school clubs are free - my daughter does drama club and dance class for free, and my son does cricket for free too. The only one our school charges for is cookery, and that's £1 per week, presumably to cover the cost of the ingredients.

Piano lessons are £5 a time, as are most other things i.e. ballet/rugby. Swimming passes for the entire year for my two are £20 per year (each, so £40 in total) so also quite a bit cheaper than the $90 a month you mentioned, and they can swim anytime for free with that - lessons are extra though.

The only thing that I consider expensive is horse riding - £15 for a private lesson.

Obviously not got a comparison for skiing or skating!!

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I should point out that Karate at school is not a teacher doing it, its a professional Sensei that comes in for an hour at a number of different schools through the week.

He does alright from it though at a guess... he is a cadillac driver!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I should point out that Karate at school is not a teacher doing it, its a professional Sensei that comes in for an hour at a number of different schools through the week.

He does alright from it though at a guess... he is a cadillac driver!
Frilly shoes?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm confused. I thought people moved to Canada to get away from the kids.

All you seem to read on here is that people can't stand all the kids, being kids, loudmouthed, drunk, shagging in skips, spitting and generally being chavy chop yobbos.
No, that's everybody else's kids apparently
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto for here - the dance/drama/cricket are all run by outside companies, it's just hosted at the school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.