Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Wedding invite Etiquette

Wedding invite Etiquette

Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding invite Etiquette

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Wow, you really sound thrilled to be going to this wedding. Perhaps just stay home instead of being a downer on their happy day.

Also, why are you buying salmon steaks in your groceries if you find it gross? http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple.../#post11723652 just wondering...
My wife eat's salmon.

I don't wan't to go at all, but me not going is causing major drama with my wifes mother and my wife causing stress,

I just don't want to go from 12 noon to the next morning without eating something plus a bit awkward sitting around a table not eating anything.

I figured skipping would be less rude then sitting at a table not eating the food.

I have no idea how to play the games of the social world people have created..

It doesn't really matter what I am doing in general, I am never going to be an overly happy person. Wedding's on my list of fun, well they don't make the list. I do not enjoy them, and would rather not go, but when we told the MIL all hell broke lose and created major drama, so I kind of have to go to keep the drama level down.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 14th 2015 at 9:09 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 9:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife eat's salmon.

I don't wan't to go at all, but me not going is causing major drama with my wifes mother and my wife causing stress,

I just don't want to go from 12 noon to the next morning without eating something plus a bit awkward sitting around a table not eating anything.

I figured skipping would be less rude then sitting at a table not eating the food.

I have no idea how to play the games of the social world people have created..

It doesn't really matter what I am doing in general, I am never going to be an overly happy person. Wedding's on my list of fun, well they don't make the list. I do not enjoy them, and would rather not go, but when we told the MIL all hell broke lose and created major drama, so I kind of have to go to keep the drama level down.
Skipping the reception would probably be taken as an insult as well.

I would suggest going and just asking for a vegetarian plate (I am sure they can accommodate if asked) or else order the salmon, shove it on your wife's plate and eat the vegetables and bread etc., which will no doubt be served separately anyway. Why would you need to go without eating anything?

Old Aug 14th 2015, 10:12 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Have a few drinks, eat all the really good snacks that you like, and possibly attempt snog with bride to be. Don't let fear or common sense deter you.. and don't worry about repercussions, these things have a way of working themselves out.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 10:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Just throw some granola bars in your wife's purse and eat those. Then pig out on bread and cake afterwards.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Eat as much as you can manage, smile and make only positive comments. I would expect this of my kids, never mind a grown man. Not everything is about you.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Skipping the reception would probably be taken as an insult as well.

I would suggest going and just asking for a vegetarian plate (I am sure they can accommodate if asked) or else order the salmon, shove it on your wife's plate and eat the vegetables and bread etc., which will no doubt be served separately anyway. Why would you need to go without eating anything?

This is the menu he texted us

Appetizers

Locally sourced oysters and champagne.

Main's

Grilled wild salmon fillet topped with avocado tomato salad.

Venison with mushroom sauce.

Sides

Lobster Mashed Potatoes

Creamed spinach.

I am just worried there won't be a plain salad or plain vegetable option, we texted him back to ask.

I am worried there won't be anything for me to eat, hence worried I have to go from lunch time to the next morning without a meal.

Don't think the reception would be over in time to go elsewhere afterwards.

Other then the champagne mentioned, if you want booze its bring your own.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:36 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Appetizers

Main's

Sides

Lobster Mashed Potatoes

Creamed spinach.

I am just worried there won't be a plain salad or plain vegetable option, we texted him back to ask.

I am worried there won't be anything for me to eat, hence worried I have to go from lunch time to the next morning without a meal.

I don't think you're doing yourself any favours... Tbh it's a pita to accommodate fussy eaters..
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Appetizers

Main's

Sides

Lobster Mashed Potatoes

Creamed spinach.

I could not eat oysters or venison. I do not like fish but at a push I could eat a little cooked salmon. I would have the salmon...eat as much as I could of the fish and veg...then leave the rest. If anyone asked I would say I'm not feeling 100%.

If you are worried about having nothing to eat...make sure you eat before you arrive. Also make sure you have food to eat later. Simple really.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I don't think you're doing yourself any favours... Tbh it's a pita to accommodate fussy eaters..
It is and I admit I am a fussy eater ...but I wouldn't expect anyone to accommodate my eating preferences. I would make sure I ate before I arrived and had food to eat afterwards.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Put a normal food on the menu like chicken. Easy peasey to accommodate a large amount of people with normal meats.

We provided a buffet at our wedding, but this couple complained to my wife, so we went out of our way to get the organic gluten free foods they wanted.

We ask for something like chicken and get the reply, no chicken, no beef, no pork.

I am going to eat before I arrive, but that is at 12 Noon, next meal will be reception and then breakfast 9am Sunday.

I cannot go from 12 noon to 9am the next day without a proper meal. Few people could.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 14th 2015 at 11:57 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:55 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Put a normal food on the menu like chicken. Easy peasey to accommodate a large amount of people with normal meats.
Salmon is a normal food! My kids love it. I rarely eat venison but would enjoy it if it were put in front of me without me needing to cook. Plus this is the bride and grooms preference- remember the couple who this day is really about..

Gluten free if it was for Coeliac is not being a fussy eater btw.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

We provided a buffet at our wedding, but this couple complained to my wife, so we went out of our way to get the organic gluten free foods they wanted.

We ask for something like chicken and get the reply, no chicken, no beef, no pork.
Maybe they are trying to go a bit 'up market' with their food choices. Either way it's their wedding...their choice...and it is not a big deal to do as I suggested above.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Salmon is a normal food! My kids love it. I rarely eat venison but would enjoy it if it were put in front of me without me needing to cook. Plus this is the bride and grooms preference- remember the couple who this day is really about..

Gluten free if it was for Coeliac is not being a fussy eater btw.
They are no cileiac they just choose not to eat gluten they have no medical reason not to.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

They are no cileiac they just choose not to eat gluten they have no medical reason not to.

Its clear I am hated, and everyone wants me dead.
Sad to say I think you are being a little silly about this. I normally have the upmost respect for you...I enjoy reading your posts and threads...they are always well written. You are an adult and sometimes adults have to suck it up and do things they don't want to do.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:10 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you stash some granola bars or make a sandwich or two in advance and either shove it in your wife's purse, or leave it in the hotel? Or leave it in the car and excuse yourself for five minutes at some point to go wolf it down? There are options besides a self-imposed fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.