Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

are we doing the right thing

are we doing the right thing

Old Jan 26th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are we doing the right thing

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Yes, all the rest of what you wrote is unwanted fluff
Well if she's going to do it regardless why burst her bubble? Why not reinforce the positive side of moving to Canada? She obviously realises that all will not be a bed of roses so I say:

"go for it girl!!!"

Old Jan 27th 2012, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Well if she's going to do it regardless why burst her bubble? Why not reinforce the positive side of moving to Canada? She obviously realises that all will not be a bed of roses so I say:

"go for it girl!!!"

well said xx
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I say go for it too. Don't listen to the naysayers, and **** reality
Old Jan 27th 2012, 2:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I say go for it too. Don't listen to the naysayers, and **** reality
Quite right.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstybowles
Well so far this month we have had 4 viewings on our uk house and 1 coming tommorow.
A gentleman viewed it yesterday and has asked us if we can be out within 28 days!! scary stuff we've waited 5 years to move to canada and now its real it's scaring the bejesus out of me! although he hasent made a set offer yet!
I found myself asking are we doing the right thing i'm going to miss everyone and what we know over here.
Then again we have been waitng 5 years and it's what we've always wanted so I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance from all of you who've already made that big trip x
Thankyou Kirsty x
i think most people get doubts when the time gets nearer - I would imagine it is normal for anyone - especially with a family. You have done your research and you have been waiting a long time for this - go for it! It has been what you have been working towards for the past 5 years!

I hope all goes well with the house and you get a buyer out of this flurry of potentials coming round this month. getting ours on the market (finally) in the next few weeks - which is making me feel jittery - so heaven knows what I will be like when/if it sells!!!

Cx
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Caleo - hello! When are you planning on finally getting there? We are putting the house on the market too, probably end of February beginning of March, for the time when all the British 'rush over to buy'?! (hopefully). We will be shipping all our things in June and arriving the first week of August - terribly horrifying/terrifying/exciting and delightful!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

kirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to allkirstybowles is a name known to all

thanks Caleo

I am now convinced that we are doing the right thing I think that I just had a wobble at the time of writing my 1st thread lol x

We are excited and are looking forward to getting going.
We have now had 6 viewings but as yet no-one has put an offer in annoyingley x Thats just this month however we have had the house on the market since last feb!! we had 4 viewings last year that was it ! so we are keeping fingers crossed lol, we have totally redecorated and laid new floor and carpet, we have dropped the price 3 times too so we really dont know what else to do but wait good luck with yours xx
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Caleo - hello! When are you planning on finally getting there? We are putting the house on the market too, probably end of February beginning of March, for the time when all the British 'rush over to buy'?! (hopefully). We will be shipping all our things in June and arriving the first week of August - terribly horrifying/terrifying/exciting and delightful!
Hi!!
We are still hoping for the summer before our 15 year old starts 6th form over here - would much prefer her to start the new school year over there. ll depends on the sale of the house though - so keeping everything crossed. keep me updated with your house!! Are you planning on going then whether the house sells or not?

c
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Caleo

I am now convinced that we are doing the right thing I think that I just had a wobble at the time of writing my 1st thread lol x

We are excited and are looking forward to getting going.
We have now had 6 viewings but as yet no-one has put an offer in annoyingley x Thats just this month however we have had the house on the market since last feb!! we had 4 viewings last year that was it ! so we are keeping fingers crossed lol, we have totally redecorated and laid new floor and carpet, we have dropped the price 3 times too so we really dont know what else to do but wait good luck with yours xx
Keeping everything crossed for you xx
Old Jan 30th 2012, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

Better to experience life here for yourself rather than 'second-hand' through all of the BE posters on this forum.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 9:30 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

If people only ever did things that they felt were safe, then there would be no excitement in life and everyone would be bored and boring.

Moving will shake things up for you and take away what is familiar, which is the scary part but it will also offer you new people and places.
What you make of that experience is up to you and your personality.

Like a lot of expats, I like it here and I am not sorry we came but I also miss what I love about the UK.
I don't think Canada is the Promised Land, but then neither do I think the UK is a dump that is going to Hell in a handbag.

IMHO, asking for "validation" at this point is absolutely fine - any sensible individual already knows all the possible things that could go wrong and is worried enough about all that without anyone else saying it.
Posters who insist on repeating the potential pitfalls in this situation just get a kick out of being unkind.

I hope everything turns out really well for the OP and the others on the brink of the big move.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

thanks helcat12

Quite right I just had a wobble I fully apprieciate it's not all brilliant and your right some people just like to add their twopenneth worth(yorkshire saying)!
I'm going to miss lots but am excited about the change I think we really need one and it will be good for us.

I as everyone else felt a little nervous but i'm over it lol and can't wait for the new experience
Kirsty x
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:47 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks helcat12

Quite right I just had a wobble I fully apprieciate it's not all brilliant and your right some people just like to add their twopenneth worth(yorkshire saying)!
I'm going to miss lots but am excited about the change I think we really need one and it will be good for us.

I as everyone else felt a little nervous but i'm over it lol and can't wait for the new experience
Kirsty x
We felt the same - a change was what we needed.
No move is without loss but it helped me to think back to when we last moved in the UK and what that was like.
Then we missed friends and regular haunts and I actually hated our new place in the UK for about the first 6 months.

That 'new place' became our most loved home and we had wonderful friends and neighbours - leaving it last Autumn after 11 happy years there was very hard and emotionally a big wrench.

So, there will be moments when you feel sad and a wobble every now and then is to be expected but onward and upward and there will be lots to enjoy.
All the best to you
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
We felt the same - a change was what we needed.
No move is without loss but it helped me to think back to when we last moved in the UK and what that was like.
Then we missed friends and regular haunts and I actually hated our new place in the UK for about the first 6 months.

That 'new place' became our most loved home and we had wonderful friends and neighbours - leaving it last Autumn after 11 happy years there was very hard and emotionally a big wrench.

So, there will be moments when you feel sad and a wobble every now and then is to be expected but onward and upward and there will be lots to enjoy.
All the best to you

Thank you x
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving to Ontario Cobourg to be precise we have researched it thoughrally, We could both get jobs over there and i have been told that the schools are good for my boys. I think it is just the fear of the unknown because as much as i research the place you just dont know til you actually get there x

We are also always on mls checking out the houses and seeing what is in our price range, I do feel better about it now and lots of reassurance on here thanks, it's just scary when it all becomes real but as i say I am getting excited now and it's taking over the anxiety!

Kirsty x
We bought our car from the Toyota garage there. Lovely people! Cobourg seemed to be a nice little town too. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.