British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   are we doing the right thing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/we-doing-right-thing-746226/)

kirstybowles Jan 25th 2012 2:57 pm

are we doing the right thing

Well so far this month we have had 4 viewings on our uk house and 1 coming tommorow.
A gentleman viewed it yesterday and has asked us if we can be out within 28 days!! scary stuff we've waited 5 years to move to canada and now its real it's scaring the bejesus out of me! although he hasent made a set offer yet!
I found myself asking are we doing the right thing i'm going to miss everyone and what we know over here.
Then again we have been waitng 5 years and it's what we've always wanted so I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance from all of you who've already made that big trip x
Thankyou Kirsty x

Former Lancastrian Jan 25th 2012 3:04 pm

Re: are we doing the right thing

If you have already waited 5 years has anything changed in making your decision?
You have the advantage of still saying NO to coming.
Are you coming as a PR and if so you could still stay in the UK after activating your landing. Cheap return flight do your landing then back to the UK. You could essentially stay in the UK for just under 3 years before making a decision to meet the 730 day residency requirement in Canada.
Other than that the choice is yours and you will never know if you dont try.

penny farthing Jan 25th 2012 3:08 pm

After a 5 year wait you should be quite sure about your decision to move here- thats a long time to make up your mind lol!!and I am sure you would have backed out long ago if you had strong doubts.

You will love Canada!..and also you will be totally confused with the system and very homesick for a long time and will miss everyone and everything back home but, if you can get three years under your belt here you will have adjusted and then you can settle down.
Its a big country -nice people -hot summers - good prices- huge shopping malls- cheap petrol -and not so cold winters anymore.
So good luck!

el_richo Jan 25th 2012 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by penny farthing (Post 9864691)
You will love Canada!..and also you will be totally confused with the system and very homesick for a long time and will miss everyone and everything back home but, if you can get three years under your belt here you will have adjusted and then you can settle down.

Holy shit, can you give me this weeks lottery numbers please :fingerscrossed:

Tangram Jan 25th 2012 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kirstybowles (Post 9864675)
Well so far this month we have had 4 viewings on our uk house and 1 coming tommorow.
A gentleman viewed it yesterday and has asked us if we can be out within 28 days!! scary stuff we've waited 5 years to move to canada and now its real it's scaring the bejesus out of me! although he hasent made a set offer yet!
I found myself asking are we doing the right thing i'm going to miss everyone and what we know over here.
Then again we have been waitng 5 years and it's what we've always wanted so I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance from all of you who've already made that big trip x
Thankyou Kirsty x

In all seriousness, is this a genuine question requiring a genuine answer based on no facts or are you looking for validation only ?

Geordie Lass Jan 25th 2012 3:31 pm

Not made the move yet - but about to (LMO pending).

Got the same fears as you tho! Wanted to do it for years, plucked up the courage to finally make steps to do it last year but still nervous about it! I posted about this a while ago - look for posts started by me - had some great replies.

kirstybowles Jan 25th 2012 3:41 pm

just validation thanks i think i already know we'll have a fab life over there.
we already have or pr status we activated it this time last year x

it's just nice to get a good overview of people who are felt the same before they moved over, thanks for the replies and thanks geordielass i'll have a look x

MillieF Jan 25th 2012 4:17 pm

Kirsty, I KNOW I might not be doing the right thing, but my life isn't all beer and skittles now - so certainly I'm not doing the wrong thing either! That being said, every time I really consider that in seven months I'll be in Canada I either feel an attack of the vapours coming on or an urgent need for a pee! Damn it a move like this is scary, I'm trying to make the nerves work for me positively, I've got more va va voom than the energiser bunny and have shed 5kgs in nervous energy. When I get a bit wussy I think back on all the reasons we have had for moving in the first place. Best of luck.

magnumpi Jan 25th 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by kirstybowles (Post 9864743)

it's just nice to get a good overview of people who are felt the same before they moved over, thanks for the replies and thanks geordielass i'll have a look x

It's just a fear of the unknown, most get this fear, the rest lie. Come over and the fear should subside. :fingerscrossed:

kirstybowles Jan 25th 2012 5:43 pm

millie F love it well said as the day has gone on the fear is subsiding as i remember all the reasons we are doing this, that and the kids are getting sooo excited i can't help but catch some of their enthusiasm!!
Canada here we come :D

thanks magnumpi x

Think it was just that sudden realisation that after all that money spent and time getting PR that it's now become reality and as of now I'm going to think of all the positive and get writing lots of lists lol x

Former Lancastrian Jan 25th 2012 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by kirstybowles (Post 9864743)

I suggest you start looking at this for Customs purposes
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/d...d2-3-2-eng.pdf

TaffCan Jan 25th 2012 5:54 pm

Woo hoo.... shoot for the stars, dont live your life thinking 'if only'....

Good luck x

iaink Jan 25th 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by kirstybowles (Post 9864675)
Thankyou Kirsty x

Theres only really one way to find out isnt there....

Good Luck. I like my life in Canada, I hope you find what you are looking for too.

marika g Jan 25th 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Kirstybowles,

I think it's a bit silly to say you'll LOVE IT! At the end of the day evrybody is different and each one of ushas had different experiences. There are a lot of things that you never even considered that could make a difference... for instance which province you decide to live in...this can affect your job prospects, how much you will end up paying for a house, fuel costs are different in each province (more expensive in BC than Alberta for instance) also there are different taxes to pay in different provinces, different rules, legislations blah blah in the different provinces.
My advice would be to check the government website for the province you have decided to go to.

I have been here for 3 years and would consider myself a pretty well travelled person. I lived in Australia when I was younger and have visited many different countries and there are things that you will love about Canada and things you will hate! I settled here pretty quickly probably because I've travelled a lot and I feel that I am quite an 'accepting' person but there have been some things that have tested my sanity from time to time! To be honest I don't think that people should give advise about 'canada' as a whole...there really is a difference between the provinces...it's kinda like having different countries in one big country...they all have different rules, regulations and even different weather! I live in Calgary and the weather can go from -30 to 10 degrees above in literally an hour or so! So checking out the government website of the province to intend to go to would be my advise.

Magnumpi made a good point about the fear of the unknown...it's human nature to be anxious but at the end of the day you won't know if you don't try it! At least if it doesn't work out you can look back and say...well at least we tried it!! : )

TheThornes Jan 25th 2012 6:59 pm

Your current feelings and emotions are all normal and yes, I agree, something that most of us go through. I can remember similar feelings when we sold our house in the UK. We were happy there; we'd been in that house for 8 years, had our kids there, lovely neighbours etc and I can remember crying my eyes out the day we actually moved out. Not that I regretted it in any way, it was just, as someone else correctly said, fear of the unknown. The whole process is a real rollercoaster of emotions. Just remind yourself of the reasons you have decided to make this move. We were still in the UK for another 8 weeks after our house sold, staying with family, and then you have all the goodbyes so lots more tears all round but, three years on, I still have no regrets and love our new life.

Best of luck!