Vacations in the US

Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacations in the US

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We are looking to book something for 2012. Must be relatively kid friendly and we wish to stay away from Vegas or Disney.

I am thinking Washington D.C. I spent some time there while in the military and it struck me as somewhere with decent amounts of interesting things to do, as opposed to just lying on a beach, playing blackjack or hurtling down a ride. Nothing wrong with those and we have done so in the past, just looking to look at somewhere other than the usual vacation.

Don't mind driving or flying or a combination of the two if that would enhance the trip.

We are looking to spend a week or two.

Any thoughts and, if I could impose, could you please also suggest an appropriate time of year for your suggested destination.

Many thanks
There is loads to do and see in DC...and most of it is free. Not sure I would want to spend 2 weeks there though. I would spend several days there then head south...towards the Carolina's. Spring and fall are the best times to visit IMO...winters can be very cold and snowy....summers very humid and hot.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 24th 2011 at 4:29 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 4:36 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlottyb
Or you can do slow PCH down and then faster i-5 home, that's what we did and it was ok. A little outlet shopping in tax free Oregon helped ease the pain!
The bit between Redding and Eugene is well worth the drive. The rest less so I agree.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:04 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Must be relatively kid friendly and we wish to stay away from Vegas or Disney.
You don't have to go to Disney World but there are resorts along the coast of Florida that you might want to look at. The problem is getting to Florida from here, there is a direct flight to Orlando on Saturday but I think Westjet only do it during the winter unless they've changed their schedule lately.

I think DC is a good idea if your kids haven't been there before.

You can get to Nassau direct from Calgary as well, biggest water park in the world reportedly at Atlantis Paradise Resort. Bit of a tourist trap though. But so is DC.

Chicago might be worth visiting. Actually I quite like Denver, but seeing as the main attraction is the mountains it might seem a bit pointless coming from Calgary.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking to book something for 2012. Must be relatively kid friendly and we wish to stay away from Vegas or Disney.

I am thinking Washington D.C. I spent some time there while in the military and it struck me as somewhere with decent amounts of interesting things to do, as opposed to just lying on a beach, playing blackjack or hurtling down a ride. Nothing wrong with those and we have done so in the past, just looking to look at somewhere other than the usual vacation.

Don't mind driving or flying or a combination of the two if that would enhance the trip.

We are looking to spend a week or two.

Any thoughts and, if I could impose, could you please also suggest an appropriate time of year for your suggested destination.

Many thanks

I used to live in DC, and as most have mentioned there are a lot of museums, exhibitions and even the zoo and all are free to the public. I'm not sure it warrants more than three or four days unless you're really enamored with American 'culture'.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I used to live in DC, and as most have mentioned there are a lot of museums, exhibitions and even the zoo and all are free to the public. I'm not sure it warrants more than three or four days unless you're really enamored with American 'culture'.
Thanks.

I was there as a squaddie so we did a brief visit to Arlington cemetery and took in one museum (the one with the Enola Gay). We didn't do any of the touristy stuff.

We are thinking that, with kids in tow (9 + 12), we could stretch things out a bit to last a week. The reference to 2 weeks was just in case someone thought that more time was warranted.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 6:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I was there as a squaddie so we did a brief visit to Arlington cemetery and took in one museum (the one with the Enola Gay). We didn't do any of the touristy stuff.

We are thinking that, with kids in tow (9 + 12), we could stretch things out a bit to last a week. The reference to 2 weeks was just in case someone thought that more time was warranted.
My advice, would be to look on the websites of the various museums and galleries as they often have rather good temporary exhibitions. And while free, you may have to order tickets in advance.

I lived right next to the zoo, which would make a very nice afternoon wandering around, but no more than that. A stroll around Georgetown is okay, and if you can ditch the wife and kids, there are many old school taverns to have a pint in.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tonrob
Not done the horse riding bit but will second your vote for Bryce Canyon. This is in my favourite corner of the US bar none - and includes Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands NPs, Monument Valley and more.
We did Vegas, Bryce Canyon and Zion with the kids. Best family trip ever! We've been on cruises, Florida, Washington, South Carolina and to the Caribbean, but nothing comes close. Bryce and Zion are simply stunning.

You can fly into Vegas and start / end the vacation there. Vegas actually has lots to do for the kids, assuming they are still under 12. Zion National Park is about a 3 hour drive from Vegas. Spend a couple of nights there and then drive a couple of more hours east to Bryce Canyon.

Book early because there are limited hotels in the area. Late August is a good time to go. The school year starts early in many parts of the US so it will be less busy.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Secam
We did Vegas, Bryce Canyon and Zion with the kids. Best family trip ever! We've been on cruises, Florida, Washington, South Carolina and to the Caribbean, but nothing comes close. Bryce and Zion are simply stunning.

You can fly into Vegas and start / end the vacation there. Vegas actually has lots to do for the kids, assuming they are still under 12. Zion National Park is about a 3 hour drive from Vegas. Spend a couple of nights there and then drive a couple of more hours east to Bryce Canyon.

Book early because there are limited hotels in the area. Late August is a good time to go. The school year starts early in many parts of the US so it will be less busy.
We flew to Phoenix, went to Montezumas castle, then Flagstaff and saw the volcanoes, then Grand Canyon, then Zion, Page (hire a power boat on the lake there- highlight of the trip) then monument valley then Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Took 2 weeks, road trip with 2 kids 11 and 10. Worked well ending with 2 days in a Phoenix water park. Stayed in a wigwam on route 66, Gouldings lodge in Monument valley and in the Grand Canyon (Yavapai lodge). Absolutely fabulous - kids had a ball and became rangers at all of the National parks (70USD for a year pass to all NPs). Highly recommended. Before we have done a week in Yosemite tagged onto a week in San Francisco. Great time!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 9:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misplacedheidi
We flew to Phoenix, went to Montezumas castle, then Flagstaff and saw the volcanoes, then Grand Canyon, then Zion, Page (hire a power boat on the lake there- highlight of the trip) then monument valley then Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. Took 2 weeks, road trip with 2 kids 11 and 10. Worked well ending with 2 days in a Phoenix water park. Stayed in a wigwam on route 66, Gouldings lodge in Monument valley and in the Grand Canyon (Yavapai lodge). Absolutely fabulous - kids had a ball and became rangers at all of the National parks (70USD for a year pass to all NPs). Highly recommended. Before we have done a week in Yosemite tagged onto a week in San Francisco. Great time!
At the GC, if you're not going to camp, then the Phantom Ranch is the neatest lodge (not that Yavapai is shabby).
Old Oct 29th 2011, 10:37 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Secam

It's my favourite part of the States for sure. Have you been to Arches and Canyonlands? Mesa Verde's really good too.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 12:43 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
It's my favourite part of the States for sure. Have you been to Arches and Canyonlands? Mesa Verde's really good too.
I was in Moab this week for a couple of days. Glorious weather.
I did Arches two days ago, Canyonlands and Dead Horse point State Park yesterday and Monument Valley today.
In Kayenta, AZ right now.
I'm on my way to my winter place in Arizona via Flagstaff, Oak Creek Canyon, Sedona, Prescott and then to Yuma.
Lots of snow in Denver and tried a bit of snowboarding in Georgetown (between Denver and Vail).
The Colorado Plateau is my favorite place on earth !
Old Oct 30th 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Secam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to allSecam is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There is loads to do and see in DC...and most of it is free. Not sure I would want to spend 2 weeks there though. I would spend several days there then head south...towards the Carolina's. Spring and fall are the best times to visit IMO...winters can be very cold and snowy....summers very humid and hot.
We spent three days in DC, which was enough for the kids. We then drove down to Pawleys Island, South Carolina. We rented a house on vrbo.com at the Litchfield Beach & Golf resort. Beautiful four bedroom home, 2 minutes from the ocean, for $1400 a week.

www.litchfieldbeach.com

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...e-beach#a18161