Vacations in the US

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vacations in the US

We are looking to book something for 2012. Must be relatively kid friendly and we wish to stay away from Vegas or Disney.

I am thinking Washington D.C. I spent some time there while in the military and it struck me as somewhere with decent amounts of interesting things to do, as opposed to just lying on a beach, playing blackjack or hurtling down a ride. Nothing wrong with those and we have done so in the past, just looking to look at somewhere other than the usual vacation.

Don't mind driving or flying or a combination of the two if that would enhance the trip.

We are looking to spend a week or two.

Any thoughts and, if I could impose, could you please also suggest an appropriate time of year for your suggested destination.

Many thanks
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:09 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vacations in the US

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We are looking to book something for 2012. Must be relatively kid friendly and we wish to stay away from Vegas or Disney.

I am thinking Washington D.C. I spent some time there while in the military and it struck me as somewhere with decent amounts of interesting things to do, as opposed to just lying on a beach, playing blackjack or hurtling down a ride. Nothing wrong with those and we have done so in the past, just looking to look at somewhere other than the usual vacation.

Don't mind driving or flying or a combination of the two if that would enhance the trip.

Any thoughts and, if I could impose, could you please also suggest an appropriate time of year for your suggested destination.

Many thanks
Could do Boston and NY. We enjoyed Boston and surrounding area and it's not over far to NY and that area.

On the opposite side, we also enjoyed San Francisco, Yosemite and the coast. Wine region close by and if you had to ( and I mean had to ) you could do L.A. and Disneyworld or other amusement stuff ( we didn't but one could )
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks
DC is a great destination, all those museums and monuments. We recently stayed here:

http://www.hotelmadera.com/

and were very pleased. If you wanted to leaven the urban worthiness of the trip you might break it up by going to DC, then taking a few days to poke around the Outer Banks, Nag's Head and the region offers beaches, lighthouse and the like. That needs beach weather, to avoid crowds I'd say go in Spring or Autumn.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Could do Boston and NY. We enjoyed Boston and surrounding area and it's not over far to NY and that area.

On the opposite side, we also enjoyed San Francisco, Yosemite and the coast. Wine region close by and if you had to ( and I mean had to ) you could do L.A. and Disneyworld or other amusement stuff ( we didn't but one could )
Would a road trip between the two throw up anything interesting? Any good/bad times to avoid.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
DC is a great destination, all those museums and monuments. We recently stayed here:

http://www.hotelmadera.com/

and were very pleased. If you wanted to leaven the urban worthiness of the trip you might break it up by going to DC, then taking a few days to poke around the Outer Banks, Nag's Head and the region offers beaches, lighthouse and the like. That needs beach weather, to avoid crowds I'd say go in Spring or Autumn.
Thank you. We will look into that
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 9:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. We will look into that
Something else to think about is that one can easily rent horses and go for a trail ride in most States. I enjoyed riding around Bryce Canyon enormously because of the scenery though we've had more exciting rides in AZ and MI. If one were travelling with riders who might tire of museums then setting up an afternoon on horseback might be traded for a couple of evenings of them watching the TV while one went out for dinner.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

We spent 2 weeks last summer driving the coast road from Vancouver down to California. Our 3 kids enjoyed it, although the 15 year old did ask if he could fly and meet us there next time! Not sure he quite embraced the whole road trip thing!!!
There are stunning views, great beauty and enough stuff to do as you stop on the way. We did some camping, some cabins and some motels and went in August (that was only as my husband is the military and had to take leave then)
This year we went back to the Oregon coast as it was our favorite bit. I can highly recommend it.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:26 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking Washington D.C.
Agree with D.C - great museums, dining, architecture etc.

Went to Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC last year; great trip, history interesting, nice walkable cities, good food, bars, friendly and interesting people.

Couple years ago, road trip from Vegas to New Mexico, via Grand Canyon, Utah (Monument Park), Colorado. 10 days, amazing trip, would totally recommend.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:51 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to think about is that one can easily rent horses and go for a trail ride in most States. I enjoyed riding around Bryce Canyon enormously because of the scenery though we've had more exciting rides in AZ and MI. If one were travelling with riders who might tire of museums then setting up an afternoon on horseback might be traded for a couple of evenings of them watching the TV while one went out for dinner.
Not done the horse riding bit but will second your vote for Bryce Canyon. This is in my favourite corner of the US bar none - and includes Bryce Canyon, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands NPs, Monument Valley and more. It's the closest thing you can do to traveling to Mars but without setting foot off this planet! Utterly stunning in an unearthly sort of way. I would imagine Spring or Autumn would be the best times to go, but Google is your friend.

Canyonlands NP:

Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks to all those that have replied. The rest of my family would love the horsey stuff, I don't know if I would. Only one way to find out.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by tonrob
I would imagine Spring or Autumn would be the best times to go
One of our trips into the GC was in early April. That was ideal for hiking as there was snow at the top and it was warm, rather than baking, at the bottom. The issue with that part of the world is that it's all outdoor amusements, hiking, riding, rafting, nothing wrong with that but it's a sharp contrast to museums and the like in DC.

The PCH, as mentioned above, offers some balance. Start out as far north as time allows, end up in LA where there's the Getty museum. My best trip along there was in winter, there was hardly anyone else about, it was cold but I'd been living in a cold country and could deal with that.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One of our trips into the GC was in early April. That was ideal for hiking as there was snow at the top and it was warm, rather than baking, at the bottom. The issue with that part of the world is that it's all outdoor amusements, hiking, riding, rafting, nothing wrong with that but it's a sharp contrast to museums and the like in DC.

The PCH, as mentioned above, offers some balance. Start out as far north as time allows, end up in LA where there's the Getty museum. My best trip along there was in winter, there was hardly anyone else about, it was cold but I'd been living in a cold country and could deal with that.
With the PCH how long would you recommend for the return trip? Or is it drive one way; fly the other?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

The farthest north I've been able to start is Eureka, a week from there to LA was a little more rushed than I would have liked. One of my daughters went from Vancouver to Tijuana over two weeks and thought that about the right pace but they slept in the car and so didn't have to keep driving inland to find reasonably priced accomodation. I think you have to see how much time is available, and how much you'd want to spend in San Franciso and LA, and work backwards to a starting point.

Oh, and I've never considered driving back, it's always been fly to some point, rent a convertible, fly back from another.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The farthest north I've been able to start is Eureka, a week from there to LA was a little more rushed than I would have liked. One of my daughters went from Vancouver to Tijuana over two weeks and thought that about the right pace but they slept in the car and so didn't have to keep driving inland to find reasonably priced accomodation. I think you have to see how much time is available, and how much you'd want to spend in San Franciso and LA, and work backwards to a starting point.

Oh, and I've never considered driving back, it's always been fly to some point, rent a convertible, fly back from another.
That's what I thought. Thank you
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can do slow PCH down and then faster i-5 home, that's what we did and it was ok. A little outlet shopping in tax free Oregon helped ease the pain!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.