Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Christmas Party Frocks- HELP!!

Christmas Party Frocks- HELP!!

Old Oct 28th 2011, 3:54 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Christmas Party Frocks- HELP!!

We have hubby's company Christmas party coming up (our first one) and I am seriously contemplating ordering a dress from the UK.

I feel really bad about doing this but having just looked at Monsoon, Next and M and S and there are so many pretty dresses out there. I swore I would not turn into one of those miserable expats constanting sourcing British goods but I am really struggling here with clothes

I don't want to spend lots of money I just want something fashionable that doesn't make me feel like I'm dressed like my mother! The shops here seem to cater for teenagers or over 50's and nothing in between.

We went to a Canadian wedding in the summer and trying to find anything to wear here was a total nightmare. In the end I resorted to a dress I had bought in Sainsbury's the day before we left the UK, (even this was a bit over dressed compared to some guests!)

Ladies your help please!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:10 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Christmas Party Frocks- HELP!!

Get something from nextdirect.com Its only $5 delivery, it will be here in 3 business days and they pay the duties and taxes - job done.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 4:50 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Get something from nextdirect.com Its only $5 delivery, it will be here in 3 business days and they pay the duties and taxes - job done.
Wow, that's quick. I think I'm tempted...

Hopefully I can still fit into my UK size after consuming way too many pumpkin spice donuts. I guess if it doesn't fit my 17 year old daughter can have it!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

The Lees is an unknown quantity at this point

Next is offering free shipping at the moment so even better and the two day delivery is impressive
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

You will look out of place. Just buy local
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:01 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You will look out of place. Just buy local
I'm sorry but I'm not going to wear jeans, I wear them everyday. I want to dress up again, just once
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Lees
Next is offering free shipping at the moment so even better and the two day delivery is impressive
I risked ordering from them - tempted with the free delivery - and of course the jeans don't fit but to send them back costs as much as they did! So if anyone can use a pair of Size 10(UK) tall skinny jeans let me know

I also got sent a $10 off voucher for a spend of over $50 on a first order if that's of use to anyone.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
I'm sorry but I'm not going to wear jeans, I wear them everyday. I want to dress up again, just once
OK, on your head be it
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:19 pm
:)

pthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond reputepthom has a reputation beyond repute

I find online ordering always "iffy" with clothes. Try RW & Co, H&M, and Zara.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 2:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you go into Sears - they have some beautiful dresses for occasions.
Old Oct 29th 2011, 3:45 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

H and M are ok and some Bay stores do TopShop now. If u fancy going South Nordstrum Rack have some fab bargains!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:48 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with H and M being ok, however for a christmas do you want to look special. The party frocks in there will be bought by all and sundry and you don't want to turn up in the same dress as someone else.

It's really not that difficult to go into the mall and find a million and one womens clothes shops!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:54 am
Sawdust making harpy

OMG just checked - you are in Airdire - you have Cross Iron Mills but a stones throw away and cqn't find anything????

Is there a Merle Norman store near you - sounds like an old fart place but they have some seriously nice stuff - Mexx and the like. Not sure what your style / price is so don't really know what to suggest.

Have you tried the little boutiques in smaller towns - in Stettler we have an AMAZING place that you wouldn't think twice about looking in but when I found it I thought I'd gone to heaven - always buy party stuff there now - if all else fails come up here for the day - i'll take you shopping
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:57 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh I like Mexx! Thrift shops too!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 5:01 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Ooooh I like Mexx! Thrift shops too!
Don't get me started on Thrift stores - if you want a decent frock then you need a consignment store.

I'm heading into Red Deer tomorrow to do some trade ins at Platos Closet

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.