US sanctions

Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:22 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US sanctions

Originally Posted by MarkG
I didn't say America. I said 'across the West'.

Few Western nations could afford their welfare states if they didn't have American taxpayers to borrow money to buy their stuff, and pay to protect them so they don't have to protect themselves.

Seriously, how much do you think taxes would have to rise here if America said 'bye, you can protect yourselves from Russia and China in future'?
54% of all federal discretionary funding is on the military. Maybe thats the real problem.
Old Jun 11th 2018, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
There are better, cheaper places to invade such as Africa. The Cost of invasion, compared to the wealth of natural resources, makes other nations a more likely target. So in answer to your question, not that much.
The Chinese are busy buying up Africa. They have no desire to own it, just to loot the resources there.

And 'policing the world' is just another name for Americans protecting the Western nations who aren't paying to protect themselves. Just look at how much America spends to keep oil flowing from the Middle East to Europe, for example. What do you think would happen to Europe if Trump said 'bye, the Middle East is your problem now'?
Old Jun 15th 2018, 1:52 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 15th 2018, 4:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch!
Brewing problem: U.S. beer drinkers pay more as aluminum tariffs hit cans | CBC Radio
Old Jul 15th 2018, 5:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe paying more for beer will get people riled up and not support Trump.

Hit em where it hurts although in the case of aluminum isnt it Trump causing the pain?

Old Jul 15th 2018, 6:41 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;12533318 Hit em where it hurts although in the case of aluminum isnt it Trump causing the pain?[/QUOTE]
Yes, as I understand it his tariff on aluminum is hurting them because US manufacturers currently need every ton of aluminum they buy from Canada to maintain production, so in this case it's a tax on his own people. This trade war will effect a lot of things on both sides of the border. I bought a big $8 can of hoisin sauce yesterday because I was out, even though I know it comes from the US (Lee Kum Kee). Now I regret not going to the Asian store and looking for one from overseas.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Yes, as I understand it his tariff on aluminum is hurting them because US manufacturers currently need every ton of aluminum they buy from Canada to maintain production, so in this case it's a tax on his own people. This trade war will effect a lot of things on both sides of the border. I bought a big $8 can of hoisin sauce yesterday because I was out, even though I know it comes from the US (Lee Kum Kee). Now I regret not going to the Asian store and looking for one from overseas.
It will, I will buy whatever is least costly so will have to wait and see if what I buy is hit with price increases. I know pepsi has said they will need to raise their prices in Canada due to some of the raw ingredients being hit with tariffs, although they do bottle in Canada using Canadian cans.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Seems the US and Mexico have come to an agreement. Canada has been frozen out of talks since July.

Trump hopes to start talks with Canada as soon as possible.

Of course any agreement still needs to be approved by both the house and senate and who knows if all this can be concluded before the current congress is done, and who knows what the next congress will be like, wont know until November.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ractious-talks
Old Aug 27th 2018, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

He wants to COMPLETE talks with Canada by Friday ...... or else!!

more sanctions??

Chrystia Freedland is on her way to Washington.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There are NO sanctions on Canada, there are tariffs on certain goods. Iran has sanctions from the US.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scilly
He wants to COMPLETE talks with Canada by Friday ...... or else!!

more sanctions??

Chrystia Freedland is on her way to Washington.
Expect more tariffs if Canada does not come to an agreement with the US, already been said if there is no agreement cars imported into the US from Canada will face tariffs.

Both the US and Mexico are on a time frame, current Mexican president leaves office December 1 so any new deal would need to be completed and ratified before then, no guarantee the new president will agree with the current deal and US congress requires a 90 day window for their part, so that is where the urgency of having this wrapped up by Friday comes into play.

Trump has to notify congress by Friday in order to meet the Dec 1 change of leadership in Mexico.

My guess is based on what Mexico/US deal has been mentioned:

Canada will need to raise the de minimis from the current $20, Mexico doubled their in the new agreement from $50 to $100. (The US I believeis currently $800.)

Canada will probably have to budge on the dairy issue somehow.

With dairy especially, I don't see an agreement if Canada sticks with the status quo.

Time will tell.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 27th 2018 at 9:53 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 10:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

But we don't want US milk full of additives, antibiotics and hormones (including growth hormones)
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sarah-...b_8381946.html
https://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/22/dair...pat-explained/

Old Aug 27th 2018, 10:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada will probably have to budge on the dairy issue somehow.
With dairy especially, I don't see an agreement if Canada sticks with the status quo. Time will tell.
If the US is willing to stop subsidising their dairy farmers then something can be worked out, otherwise it isn't going to happen. We aren't willing to fund over-production and have to dump milk. Canada wins most of the disputes with the US that go before the WTO, and if something isn't fair, they can usually point it out. Trump's incentive to play fair is the fear that he might cripple the American economy before he gets impeached or voted out of office and thereby hurt his brand.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
But we don't want US milk full of additives, antibiotics and hormones (including growth hormones)
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sarah-...b_8381946.html
https://ipolitics.ca/2017/04/22/dair...pat-explained/

Even your article points out approx 17% of farms use artificial hormones, so a good majority don't.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 28th 2018 at 12:03 am.
Old Aug 28th 2018, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Even your article points out approx 17% of farms use artificial hormones, so a good majority don't.
So, when I buy American milk, how do I know which carton will cause me to grow an extra knob?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.