UK election June 8

Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK election June 8

Originally Posted by Shard
As one Labour MP put it, the UK may well become some 'super Cayman Islands' nation off the European coast.

International opportunity always exists. Whether it is sufficient to make up for reduced trade with Europe is what remains to be seen.
There is no guarantee that there will be reduced trade with Europe though. I completely accept that the EU may wish to impose tariffs upon goods from the UK and I accept that the UK may wish to reciprocate. I get that Germany may wish to balk against such an idea and that other States will argue for it but, until the final outcome is known, I believe it is somewhat ridiculous to constantly raise the issue as most remainers appear to want to do.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Furious that they've had their and their childrens' and their parents' rights to live, work, study and retire across a continent ripped away for no gain or reason, would be closer.

What percentage of the UK population actually did that though? As you are likely aware, people did all of that prior to 1992 and, I suggest, they will do so again.

I suggest that you go to someone that lost their job to a worker that was prepared to undercut their wage and argue to them that there was no "gain or reason" for brexit.

The irritation from things like rising food prices when we discover we don't have a farm labour force anymore hasn't even started yet (although considering that the age group biggest on ripping us away from our rights was the elderly, I do hope they enjoy the Tories' suggestion that retirees can pick asparagus and strawberries in the fields for agricultural minimum wage as a replacement. The quitlings deserve it).
How does being a member of the EU shelter one from rising food prices?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:59 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Furious that they've had their and their childrens' and their parents' rights to live, work, study and retire across a continent ripped away for no gain or reason, would be closer.

My bet is they can still do those things after Brexit, they just might have to fill in a few more forms.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:59 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There is no guarantee that there will be reduced trade with Europe though. I completely accept that the EU may wish to impose tariffs upon goods from the UK and I accept that the UK may wish to reciprocate. I get that Germany may wish to balk against such an idea and that other States will argue for it but, until the final outcome is known, I believe it is somewhat ridiculous to constantly raise the issue as most remainers appear to want to do.
Do you think, for example, if BC were to impose extra regulations, paperwork, and occasional tariffs for goods and services coming from Alberta, that there might be a scenario where the the interprovincial trade is actually higher, than under current circumstances? It does seem very very unlikely. Barriers reduce trade. And you can be certain that the French will do their part to ensure some form of barrier (tariff / non-tariff) will be effected between the EU and the UK.

Remainers raise it as an issue, because the Brexiters are misleading the public on it. It's why most of business, academia and the central bank were against the economic argument.

Last edited by Shard; Apr 20th 2017 at 2:03 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think, for example, if BC were to impose extra regulations, paperwork, and occasional tariffs for goods and services coming from Alberta, that there might be a scenario where the the interprovincial trade is actually higher, than under current circumstances? It does seem very very unlikely. Barriers reduce trade. And you can be certain that the French will do their part to ensure some form of barrier (tariff / non-tariff) will be effected between the EU and the UK.
Canada does a majority of its trade with the US without having to compromise on it's sovereignty.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 20th 2017 at 2:07 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:04 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Canada trades does a majority of its trade with the US without having to privilege their citizens.
Great. Would the trade increase if it were a single market?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:09 pm

Great. Would the trade increase if it were a single market?
Canada wants to compete in a global market, why restrict it's self and be dependent on a single market?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:13 pm
me/moi

My bet is they can still do those things after Brexit, they just might have to fill in a few more forms.
Like the straight forward and highly flexible process of obtaining PR in Canada? You'd be surprised at how taking away freedom of movement affects individuals desire to try setting up life in a neighbouring country. Plenty of Europeans starting to pack up because they don't feel welcome or don't feel secure in the UK.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

As one Labour MP put it, the UK may well become some 'super Cayman Islands' nation off the European coast.
Britain's ruling class (MPs and senior bureaucrats) have been the sponsors of a goodly proportion of the world's "offshore" tax-havens, and the City of London itself has always been something of a tax-haven for non-residents. In actuality, the Cayman Islands has become to some degree a sort of super-London, over the decades.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:17 pm
me/moi

Canada wants to compete in a global market, why restrict it's self and be dependent on a single market?
Not arguing Canada's trade strategy, just making the analogy that single markets work. Canada has resources to sell, there's a global market for that, Britain, not so much. Are we going to be selling machine tool to the Germans and Japanese? Wine to the French? Outside of services, in which we already have strong trading relationships, I don't see the the gap.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Remainers raise it as an issue, because the Brexiters are misleading the public on it. It's why most of business, academia and the central bank were against the economic argument.
But you don't know at this time as to whether that will actually happen. I completely accept that it may happen but, until the deal is done, no one knows if the tariffs will be 50% or 0.00005%. The former will make a large difference, the latter minimal difference. Do you think that Germany will really want to argue for anything other than minimal tariffs?
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:19 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It should have happened before Article 50 was activated.

May will be hoping the 52% turn out in her favour.

I have a funny feeling this could blow up in her face. I dread to think what state the UK will be in by Christmas. It make's having President Orange Face or Prime Minister Selfie look a little better.
Here's hoping. We're back for a holiday in June so Labour are getting two more votes. Ever so slightly less of a landslide then.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not arguing Canada's trade strategy, just making the analogy that single markets work. Canada has resources to sell, there's a global market for that, Britain, not so much. Are we going to be selling machine tool to the Germans and Japanese? Wine to the French? Outside of services, in which we already have strong trading relationships, I don't see the the gap.
If that is true, what will Britain lose by not having access to the single market?

I get that single markets work and, one assumes, it would benefit everyone if there were no tariffs imposed globally (although Canada would be f*&ked as it relies too much on tariffs to protect its own producers), but, real or imagined, enough people in the UK felt that immigration was out of control to believe that brexit was a good thing and, like Oink, I fail to see why regaining full sovereignty is a bad thing.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:26 pm

Like the straight forward and highly flexible process of obtaining PR in Canada? You'd be surprised at how taking away freedom of movement affects individuals desire to try setting up life in a neighbouring country. Plenty of Europeans starting to pack up because they don't feel welcome or don't feel secure in the UK.p.
Why privialige one demographic over another? Frankly the EU's immigration policy is racist.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 20th 2017 at 2:33 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 2:43 pm

I'd like to see the Tories establish a precedent where the government will make no law prohibiting the freedom of speech. Wouldn't it be nice not be prosecuted for your political or religious beliefs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.