Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

TV licences are Brits behind the times?

TV licences are Brits behind the times?

Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV licences are Brits behind the times?

Originally Posted by Steve_
We always have this thread and the last time we had it, I didn't come across that many examples of what makes UK TV superior. There are a handful of shows on in the UK that are okay and you can't get them in Canada but quoting crap like Spooks and A Place in the Country or Emmerdale isn't much support for the argument.

Also, I was trapped in the UK for a week last year and all I had access to was freeview and it was rubbish. Unless you think RT is quality programming. That used to be the only argument that made any sense to me, there are more channels available OTA than there are in Canada but the extra channels are just total crap, only the network channels are any good so how is it better than Canada? Not only that but if you live close to the border you can get US channels OTA as well so you're definitely better off in Canada in that situation.

One thing I did find is that I struggle with British accents now when watching British TV. And the problem is that British actors seem so wooden because they're often classically trained and have posh accents but are trying to play someone working class and they can't pull it off. Which is one of the reasons Sherlock is so crap, but hey, you can watch that in Canada.

I think TV in Canada is really good, because a lot of the Netflix shows for example are filmed in Canada so in Canada they're distributed on the cable channels, usually as part of some deal to get a discounted rate to use Bell studios, etc. If you want to watch British TV, anything half decent is on some Canadian channel somewhere.

So yeah, bollocks to TV licencing. I'd rather watch commercials than watch most BBC programming.

I think you may be in the minority there.....In my humble opinion British TV is the best in the world by far, not just BBC, but ITV can come out with some decent stuff too. Infact its that good...ive converted many of the Canadians i work with, and they love it.

Drama like Broadchurch, Happy Valley, Luther, In the line of duty to name just a few....gritty, realistic, great stories and superb acting. No American shows even come close, and i know many Canadians that will agree with me.

Netflix now has a dedicated British TV category now its getting so popular.

So as Magnumpi says tell the Brits to keep on paying the licence!
Old Mar 13th 2017, 9:32 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

A major issue with TV is ratings.

A measure of popularity that has absolutely nothing to do with quality. Left to itself we would have a race to the bottom with a never ending supply of ever cheaper and ever more trashier programming striving to fill those ever expanding advertising hours that do the business of making money.

The BBC has its issues. A bloated and self serving management is probably the worst.. but it does have a legacy of quality generated by generations of talented men and women against which it is continually judged. It's very existance in the UK has done a great deal to stem the tide of stodge.

I paid the TV tithe for decades while I lived in the UK and looking back, all the whinging I made at the time was sadly misplaced. Now I'm across the pond, I can recognise the depths to which profit driven TV can sink and am thankful that the BBC legacy of quality is available on demand. It provides a welcome window through the fog of wall to wall sport, that awful trash disturbingly described as news and those awful talent and game shows.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

thefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond reputethefishnets has a reputation beyond repute

For me, far and away the best thing about the BBC system , and it is 4 BBC Channels plus a lot of 'regional channels' is that when I watch a programme for an hour I actually get an hours worth of content. With commercial TV stations the best I can get is around 45 mins for UK regulated TV but some are well over 25 minutes of interruption and often excrutiatingly irrelevant advertising.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Classic Brit TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN--...s#t=159.312108

Youtube/BE embedding playing up again

Last edited by BristolUK; Mar 20th 2017 at 8:35 pm.