British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   TV licences are Brits behind the times? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/tv-licences-brits-behind-times-893239/)

Former Lancastrian Mar 3rd 2017 10:41 am

TV licences are Brits behind the times?

Now and again there are threads or posters on BE who complain about how backwards Canada is especially when it comes to banking.

How many of you in Canada have a TV licence?

Im pretty sure Canadians watch TV as there are a number of stores that sell TV's.
Simply walk into a store hand over cash or your credit card and you have a TV.
Get home plug it in play around with the settings and setting up and thats it,

But is it? When you plug it in do you instantly start getting programmes?
Do you have an aerial antennae on you roof? So how do you get to watch shows?

1. Free OTA (over the air) programming can be received if you put up an aerial antennae. Perfectly legal and no TV licence.
2. Put up a satellite dish but do you receive programmes? No you don't you have to subscribe to a service provider to get access to the channels or use nefarious means to receive them like programmed access cards. Again no TV licence involved.
3. A lot of Canadians subscribe to cable TV providers to get programming and again no TV licence involved.
4. Many are cutting the cord and watching via apps or the internet or via a computer that mirrors to their TV. Again no TV licence involved.
5. People are subscribing to Netflix, Crave TV and others or again finding ways to watch these channels for free. Again no TV licence.
6. There are websites that let you watch for free i.e. CBC, You Tube although a lot of You Tube is blocked due to licensing and distribution issues. Again no TV licence.

So why do Brits still have to pay for a TV licence or even need one?
Whos backward now ;)

BBC license fee victims tell their stories | Daily Mail Online

When was the last time a Canadian was taken to court for watching TV without a TV licence?

Im pretty sure its the same in the USA as well.

mikelincs Mar 3rd 2017 11:04 am

Re: TV licences are Brits behind the times?

The BBC is funded by it's license income, if there was no such thing then it would have to be a commercial station, and therefore many programmes may have to be dumbed down to get the audiences, also there would be far less of the programmes that appeal to a more limited audience. LEAVE THE BBC AS IT IS.

magnumpi Mar 3rd 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12195920)
The BBC is funded by it's license income, if there was no such thing then it would have to be a commercial station, and therefore many programmes may have to be dumbed down to get the audiences, also there would be far less of the programmes that appeal to a more limited audience. LEAVE THE BBC AS IT IS.

I agree, leave as is, then I can continue to watch all the BBC stuff for free in Canada while Brits in Britain pay for it ;)

With the invention of PVR is easy to pause programmes now and FF thru adverts so saying it's advert free and better is BS

BristolUK Mar 3rd 2017 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12195906)
Im pretty sure Canadians watch TV as there are a number of stores that sell TV's.

But how good is Canadian TV?

4. Many are cutting the cord and watching via apps or the internet or via a computer that mirrors to their TV. Again no TV licence involved.
And for how many is BBC iPlayer a must have? I wonder why that might be. I don't really, everyone knows why. :nod:

Im pretty sure its the same in the USA as well.
This is the one argument that stands up. But notice how the best TV is similarly produced by those not so reliant on ratings and advertising revenue; receiving their own subscriptions just like the BBC.

Perhaps the BBC should just call the licence a subscription and people wouldn't get their knickers in a twist. :lol:

not2old Mar 3rd 2017 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12195920)

Bloody stupid British people will put up with anything the Government pushes down their throats

Bollox, poor excuse, rubbish etc etc, especially with it's operating budget of ~£5 billion - is that value for money?

CBC TV is a public station with commercials, provides the same quality programs as the BBC

CBC radio is commercial free & we don't pay a 'radio licence' either

The BBC is old hat, it's a make work for the politicians & hangers-on

Similar 'public broadcasters - ABC in Australia & TVNZ in the small populated New Zealand manages without a Telly Licence

There is no excuse for a TV licence ever - find another way

not2old Mar 3rd 2017 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12195933)
I agree, leave as is, then I can continue to watch all the BBC stuff for free in Canada while Brits in Britain pay for it ;)

:goodpost:

Brits pay a licence while the rest of the world watches it for free.... go figure ;)

With the BBC annoucement 'it's piracy, we should stop people stealing our programs without paying a licence' - to that, I say....'up yours' :nod:

BristolUK Mar 3rd 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12196003)
CBC TV is a public station with commercials, provides the same quality programs as the BBC

About once a year.

Like The Romeo Section or Da Vinci's Inquest/City Hall, The Border, Intelligence. What else?

BristolUK Mar 3rd 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 12196008)
Brits pay a licence while the rest of the world watches it for free....

Free? What about the premium you pay on goods and services because of the TV advertising money they spend?

magnumpi Mar 3rd 2017 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12196041)
About once a year.

Like The Romeo Section or Da Vinci's Inquest/City Hall, The Border, Intelligence. What else?

Shits Creek

Mr D

Working Mums

Marketplace

R I C H Mar 3rd 2017 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12195906)

How many of you in Canada have a TV licence?

Think of the TV licence as a subscription to all BBC media, and you might not get your panties in a knot about it so much ;)

It's pretty good value in those terms for the amount of programming and media that's produced.

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 3rd 2017 3:41 pm

Schitts Creek is the best.

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12196045)
Shits Creek

Mr D

Working Mums

Marketplace

magnumpi Mar 3rd 2017 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12196103)
Think of the TV licence as a subscription to all BBC media, and you might not get your panties in a knot about it so much ;)

It's pretty good value in those terms for the amount of programming and media that's produced.

But unlike most subscriptions you can't opt out of the BBC channel :blink:

not2old Mar 3rd 2017 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 12196103)

true, yet the UK TV licence is allow the user to watch anything that is on TV in the UK from all broadcasters, ITV, SKY etc.

If the channels viewed are specifically watched on a TV set (that has an RF tuner inside), even if its 'freeview', that a TV licence is required.

So, it's all BS so that folks can watch the BBC

Folks could argue the point that a computer connected to a large (non-tuner inside) monitor, connected to the web to watch anything TV on 'catch-up', that they are not required to have a TV licence

TVCatchup - Channels

http://tvcatchup.com/tv-guide

maybe the same with a 'Firestick' which has become popular in the UK

BristolUK Mar 3rd 2017 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12196045)
Shits Creek

Mr D

Working Mums

Marketplace

I've nothing against comedy but there's a big difference between comedy series of under half an hour and the drama/thriller/intrigue sort of thing.

But if you are including CBC comedy shows then you really wouldn't think it came close to BBC would you? :confused:

This Hour has 22 minutes compared to NTNON, A kick up the 80s, Alas Smith and Jones, Fry and Laurie, Big Train, Naked Video...

It's no contest at every level.

magnumpi Mar 3rd 2017 6:06 pm

Coming soon, no TV licence required

Anne

Not to mention Murdock, plenty choice for no fee and that's just one channel not CBC 1 and 2

The real cost of TV in the U.K. Is higher anyhow as plenty people pay extra for Netflix and Sky plus movies.