Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

TV licences are Brits behind the times?

TV licences are Brits behind the times?

Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV licences are Brits behind the times?

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Coming soon, no TV licence required

Anne

Not to mention Murdock, plenty choice for no fee and that's just one channel not CBC 1 and 2

Ignoring a DNS or VPN, can any of you live without cable TV or Satellite?

Going totally 'OTA/Free to air, with or without camposat.tv/Filmon only, could you do it?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:26 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Going totally 'OTA/Free to air, with or without camposat.tv/Filmon only, could you do it?
Of course not!

Would you only watch BBC1 and BBC2 ?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I could do it with computer only - I pretty much do.

All I watch on TV when it's actually "on" is football and the rugby world cup.

If the footie/rugger is on BBC or ITV, FilmOn is perfectly good enough for streaming. Any other channel and it ranges from very good, to watchable through to problematic and unwatchable.

So I want to keep TV for football which is most of my 'live' viewing.

With the way our pricing/bundling works cutting out the TV only saves $35 on standard prices.

When you look at it that way, $35 a month for watching football without the frustrations is worth it, plus others in the house do like other things that are on TV.

But then they're Canadian and used to a lower quality.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 6:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not!

Would you only watch BBC1 and BBC2 ?
In my youth in the UK it was only BBC1 & ITV/Granada, then for a few years before coming to Canada BBC 2

Today, at my age...

I would not watch BBC for the reason that I have been in Canada too long & it's foreign content does my head in watching it. Nor do I web/internet watch any UK sports

I do like local Canadian content from CBC, CFTO & the US TV networks that is on my OTA

I generally do not watch filmon

By all stretch, I am Canadian
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

In my youth in the UK it was only BBC1 & ITV/Granada, then for a few years before coming to Canada BBC 2

Today, at my age...

I would not watch BBC for the reason that I have been in Canada too long & it's foreign content does my head in watching it. Nor do I web/internet watch any UK sports

I do like local Canadian content from CBC, CFTO & the US TV networks that is on my OTA

I generally do not watch filmon

By all stretch, I am Canadian
Even those lovely documentaries with Mr. Attenborough?
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 8:09 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Even those lovely documentaries with Mr. Attenborough?
Attenborough (pompous ass)

As I posted, I don't get to watch BBC

As I mentioned, we have been in Canada far too long to know what the latest & greatest UK TV is all about.

I get enough of British TV for the one week when I'm over visiting family in the UK that is enough for anyone.

TBH, I have in the past watched on-line the odd 5 minute segments of BBC news, that's about it

Wife has in the past watched one or two episodes of Corrie on line

Because of the 'cheap as it is' internet service that we have, there is no point in Iplayer or a DNS, even Filmon..... rubbish
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 8:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

We always have this thread and the last time we had it, I didn't come across that many examples of what makes UK TV superior. There are a handful of shows on in the UK that are okay and you can't get them in Canada but quoting crap like Spooks and A Place in the Country or Emmerdale isn't much support for the argument.

Also, I was trapped in the UK for a week last year and all I had access to was freeview and it was rubbish. Unless you think RT is quality programming. That used to be the only argument that made any sense to me, there are more channels available OTA than there are in Canada but the extra channels are just total crap, only the network channels are any good so how is it better than Canada? Not only that but if you live close to the border you can get US channels OTA as well so you're definitely better off in Canada in that situation.

One thing I did find is that I struggle with British accents now when watching British TV. And the problem is that British actors seem so wooden because they're often classically trained and have posh accents but are trying to play someone working class and they can't pull it off. Which is one of the reasons Sherlock is so crap, but hey, you can watch that in Canada.

I think TV in Canada is really good, because a lot of the Netflix shows for example are filmed in Canada so in Canada they're distributed on the cable channels, usually as part of some deal to get a discounted rate to use Bell studios, etc. If you want to watch British TV, anything half decent is on some Canadian channel somewhere.

So yeah, bollocks to TV licencing. I'd rather watch commercials than watch most BBC programming.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 9:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
...I'd rather watch commercials than watch most BBC programming.
I doubt many of us are surprised at that.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:34 pm
Oscar nominated

But unlike most subscriptions you can't opt out of the BBC channel
You can't opt out of NI (UK) and Taxation either. Is that a bad thing?

Some things are just done for the greater good.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:36 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You can't opt out of NI (UK) and Taxation either. Is that a bad thing?

Some things are just done for the greater good.
Like the MOT and Bedroom Tax, yeh the UK is very do goody goody theses days
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the "discussion", here's a link to those countries who DO have a TV licence fee! It's surprising who is on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
i knew Germany and Japan had licences via friends but it seems there are more than I realised.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Just to add to the "discussion", here's a link to those countries who DO have a TV licence fee! It's surprising who is on it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence
i knew Germany and Japan had licences via friends but it seems there are more than I realised.
And in Germany you have to have a license even if you do not have a TV. If you refuse to pay, you go to jail. Several ppl lost their case in court, and had to spend 6 months inside. German govt. assumes that everybody has a TV. If not, you watch TV on your computer.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:15 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by quiltman
Just to add to the "discussion", here's a link to those countries who DO have a TV licence fee!...
Well, who'd have thought it.

The Sun (and The Times) - owner Rupert Murdoch/News International - would have people believe that the BBC's licence fee is a diabolical piece of legislation unique to the BBC and Britain and it's just coincidence that Rupert Murdoch/News International also own Sky and Fox for whom the BBC is a rival broadcaster and he/they wouldn't dream of publishing bollocks about the BBC that gullible folk will swallow hook line and sinker and therefore undermine the BBC for Murdoch/News International interests, oh no.

Nothing of the sort.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:53 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

It's about quality not quantity
Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:25 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

BBC should be slimmed down to focus on the 'public good' programs that commercial television doesn't make. Like PBS, but with a licence fee (at a fraction of the current amount). Why it competes in the mainstream media is hard to understand. Vested interests no doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.