Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Top Gear US? Really???

Top Gear US? Really???

Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:24 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Gear US? Really???

Originally Posted by el_richo
...Airing Top gear in the UK
When Top Gear changed from the consumer programme format with Count Quentula, Tiff etc. to the 'three blokes having way too much fun' format, I wasn't initially a fan. However I've warmed to it over the past few years mainly because, in the age of 'elf and safety and 'you can't do that because...' it is refereshing to see so much money spent on doing silly things for general amusement. The car stuff is almost a byproduct now.

The US version will of course be totally cack.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Aug 12th 2010 at 1:08 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
When Top Gear changed from the consumer programme format with Count Quentula, Tiff etc. to the 'three blokes having way too much fun' format, I wasn't initially a fan. However I've warmed to it over the past few years mainly because, in the age of 'elf and safety and 'you can't do that because...' it is refereshing to see so much money spent on doing silly things for general amusement. The car stuff is almost a byproduct now.

The US version will of couse be totally cack.
^^^ What he said.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:13 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I could accept that, maybe 10 years ago. Nowadays comedy and entertainment is so widespread across the countries through the internet I really think that supposed justification is losing it's edge.
I don't agree. Much of the humour on Top Gear, re Vauxhall drivers, parts of the UK etc, will mean absolutely nothing to most Yanks. I remember watching an episode with a couple of guys who work in a high end muscle car shop and most of the humour was completely lost on them. They also said that they couldn't understand Clarkson and co because they talked too fast and most of the people had "funny accents". They did have a good time laughing at the funny little cars though.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

This is definately the worst idea ever. let them take fifth gear if there going to balls up a show.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:28 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the problem? It's made for a completely different audience. If you prefer the UK version, it's still going to be on.

People will complain about anything these days....
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:32 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
^^^ What he said.
Yes, that

Originally Posted by GavinR
I don't agree. Much of the humour on Top Gear, re Vauxhall drivers, parts of the UK etc, will mean absolutely nothing to most Yanks. I remember watching an episode with a couple of guys who work in a high end muscle car shop and most of the humour was completely lost on them. They also said that they couldn't understand Clarkson and co because they talked too fast and most of the people had "funny accents". They did have a good time laughing at the funny little cars though.
There are a number of cradles in the office that torrent the UK version and think it's great.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
What's the problem? It's made for a completely different audience. If you prefer the UK version, it's still going to be on.

People will complain about anything these days....
I'm with you on this one. Who gives a shit.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

NomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really niceNomadicJ is just really nice

It's all a bit 'Top Shot', that other latest History channel show. Yeah. No go in my opinion.