Correcting kids

Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice
Default Correcting kids

I'm relatively new to Canada, been here since March. I have a 3 year old daughter, she's in daycare.

She's starting picking up Canadianisms. Like calling the bin a garbage can, calling football soccer, she even said awsome the other day!

When she says these Canadian terms I have to really bite my tongue not to correct her. When she says for eg 'lets play soccer' I've said 'Its called football' before I've even thought about it, its like a reflex.

I was wondering if anyone else corrects their kids on Canadianisms?

I actually want my daughter to speak Canadian and fit in with her friends, so why is it so hard not to want to correct her?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:53 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Correcting kids

Originally Posted by Vikty
I'm relatively new to Canada, been here since March. I have a 3 year old daughter, she's in daycare.

She's starting picking up Canadianisms. Like calling the bin a garbage can, calling football soccer, she even said awsome the other day!

When she says these Canadian terms I have to really bite my tongue not to correct her. When she says for eg 'lets play soccer' I've said 'Its called football' before I've even thought about it, its like a reflex.

I actually want my daughter to speak Canadian and fit in with her friends, so why is it so hard not to want to correct her?
Because you're on of the many Brits here who believe if it's the British way it must be the only/correct way. Well, have I got news for you?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:54 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I actually want my daughter to speak Canadian
Never, in fact it's handy for when we are out at a restaurant or store that don't get what i is speaking to em.

My lad says he has to speak Canadian at school so the other kids and teachers can understand him.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Vikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really niceVikty is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Because you're on of the many Brits here who believe if it's the British way it must be the only/correct way. Well, have I got news for you?
I sure am. Whats the news?

lol only kidding, I don't want to correct her, it just feels like an impulse. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still biting my tongue after three years

But they will, like, insist on talking, like, all their, like, friends, like - aagghhh.

And I'm sorry, I don't mind the Canadianisms so much - it's the murdering of the French accent that has my teeth on edge - I'm posh apparently, 'cos I like the way they speak Pareeeeeesian French.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m
I'm still biting my tongue after three years

But they will, like, insist on talking, like, all their, like, friends, like - aagghhh.

And I'm sorry, I don't mind the Canadianisms so much - it's the murdering of the French accent that has my teeth on edge - I'm posh apparently, 'cos I like the way they speak Pareeeeeesian French.
Oh its awful, even I'm saying 'like' far more than I should 'eh' is also infectious. I spoke to my sister on the phone yesterday, she says I'm getting a Canadian accent
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that sets my teeth on edge is when the kids call me "Mommy"... I am "Mummy"!

I even had to explain to one of the teachers when she corrected one of the girls spellings from Mum to Mom and say that I am Mummy and that I refuse to be a Mom!

The rest of it I dont mind anywhere near as much - I use a lot of them myself because it is easier
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:50 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I will NOT have the word TOMAAAAAYYYYYYYTO or RAZZZZZberyy used in my house
Old Jul 31st 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

I actively encourage my children in their pronunciation in the Canadian manner, if I hear something very Canadian I can't help but smile - which condones it, because it means that they are fitting in. As someone who can not remember living where she comes from, I think that's really important. I want this to be their home, if that means they are going to have yoooooogurt in the refrigerator and paaaaasta for dinner, then I'm good with that. And if I turn in to mom, then they are becoming the young people that are part of a fabulous community and culture that I wanted them to be.

But to each, their own,

Whatever accent they have it's going to be a lot better than our local Essex/Suffolk vile mish mash where we used to live - that's for sure, where they teens say they are on the fowen. (phone) or they are ariyat (alright). You should try teaching those kids phonetics and spelling patterns!!!!

Good thread though and I get where everyone is coming from
Mrs M x
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

linz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of lightlinz3112 is a glorious beacon of light

We are still in the UK and my son has never been to Canada. After spending 20 mins or so on the webcam to my Dad in Philly he starts using american sayings. It's even worse if he talks to my step mum who is actually american!!

We went on holiday to Cornwall once and he came back talking like a farmer and making every sentence into a question......

I have a feeling that he will pick up on the Canadian sayings etc quite quickly, i agree with Mistress M and think it is a sign that they are fitting in with their new community so think i would be quite pleased.....we are going over in Oct for a reccie so we will see!!!

xx
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is only two, and just starting to put some short sentences together, and I can't detect an accent yet. Although I'm sure there was a "Mom" in amongst a barrage of mum, mum, mummy, mum the other day.

I was very amused by her saying "goodbye sweetheart" as our realtor left the other day though
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and stepkids are Canadian, so I use words like Sidewalk and avoid others like Fortnight.

Funny thing is they all say Crisps and Chips 'my' way.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:58 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Did you actually read this post before commenting?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Solve the problem before it's too late: send her to boarding school back in the UK until she's 16. I've heard it builds character.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:18 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

It really is a whole other language...

After 13 years..and kids who were born and raised here...

"Soccer" grates on me like nails on a blackboard..

I use "american" words all the time, sidewalk, grocery store, aluminum, ass, trunk, hood, soda, big rig...etc etc...

Going to the "liquor store" always makes me feel like a lush...

I think its probably just because some words will probably never sound right to us, be they pronounced in "Canadian" or "american"...

Who was it that said something like, "America (and/or canada) and the UK, two countries seperated by a common langauge..."

The temptation is always there...its easier for the kids to assimilate...I'm still working on it...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.