Today's shootings

Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today's shootings

Originally Posted by dave_j
You don't need to visit sites, just switch on the TV to taste the invective being whipped up. If you have a lunatic who'll shoot up a school because he's got a gripe, then look around, the place is full of lunatics, each of whom's full of hate and fear for the otherside... and there are so many other sides to choose from.
I don't have a television. I do know lots of Americans. I read lots of American newspapers and magazines. Civil War has never been mentioned. Which channel is it that you go to for frothing?
Old Feb 15th 2018, 1:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't have a television. I do know lots of Americans. I read lots of American newspapers and magazines. Civil War has never been mentioned. Which channel is it that you go to for frothing?
The poster known as DBD is in fact a Mennonite...AICMFP !
Old Feb 15th 2018, 2:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The poster known as DBD is in fact a Mennonite...AICMFP !
I do have a black car and a horse but my jacket blasphemes; my jacket has a zip!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
It's not like you to miss that's what I tried to capture in the thread title I chose, especially when the opening comment was very much about the regularity of it.

Bad day?
To be honest, I think most people are just tired of the usual cycle:

fake tears and shock and horror, "thoughts and prayers" from the Republicans, and the usual DO NOTHING fake talk - led of course by the NRA bought politicians and paranoia that is much of the USA psyche.

As someone on NYT said, if Sandy Hook didn't do anything, nothing will do anything (unless all the Republican Senators' kids get shot and even then they will probably just fold for the money at the end of the day)
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by jerryhung
To be honest, I think most people are just tired of the usual cycle:

fake tears and shock and horror, "thoughts and prayers" from the Republicans, and the usual DO NOTHING fake talk - led of course by the NRA bought politicians and paranoia that is much of the USA psyche.

As someone on NYT said, if Sandy Hook didn't do anything, nothing will do anything (unless all the Republican Senators' kids get shot and even then they will probably just fold for the money at the end of the day)
I think it'll be a long time before anything changes. I think the gun companies are now about where the cigarette companies were in the 1970s; some people think the societal cost of the use of their product is too high for the benefit offered but most either don't or don't care. The gun companies are better organized and will be more aware of how the domestic market can disappear.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it'll be a long time before anything changes. I think the gun companies are now about where the cigarette companies were in the 1970s; some people think the societal cost of the use of their product is too high for the benefit offered but most either don't or don't care. The gun companies are better organized and will be more aware of how the domestic market can disappear.

Yes agreed, a long time.

I think it was Australia which outlawed gun ownership (in a substantive manner) immediately after the Port Arthur massacre.

Ditto NZ with some incident.

The US has had some very sad, very distressing murders - mass shootings - and yet nothing changes. The last time in Las Vegas, Trump said "let's not politicize this, it's not the time to talk gun reform"

This time he made no mention of it.

The politicians are supported by the NRA, but also, many many Americans (and others ) support gun ownership. The Muricans in particular seem to be quite paranoid and believe in the right to defend their lives and property - especially against a scary American government.

So it's a two way bind.

I think the Publucans only stopped the legislation to allow purchase of silencers after Las Vegas. Why they allow such high powered gear to be bought so easily and by anyone is weird.

Also rolling back Obama's legislation to prevent mentally ill persons from owning guns was just plain evil IMO
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

but also, many many Americans (and others ) support gun ownership. The Muricans in particular seem to be quite paranoid and believe in the right to defend their lives and property - especially against a scary American government.
I read this here. And yet, I've worked in all but six States. I lived with an American for seven years. I know very many Americans. I saw an NRA plaque on a desk once. One American I met owned guns. Assuming the NRA member had a gun it is still a fact that I know of more expat British gun owners than American gun owners. You make Americans sound like farmers in Saskatchewan!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...i-nikolas-cruz
The FBI admitted on Friday it failed to investigate a specific report in January that Nikolas Cruz could be plotting a school shooting.

On 5 January, a tipster who was close to Cruz called the FBI and provided information about Cruz’s guns, desire to kill people, erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts. The FBI says the caller expressed concerns Cruz could attack a school.
Police records obtained by CNN show that police were called to his house 39 times over seven years.
...His other fixation was guns. The AR-15 that the authorities said he used to carry out the massacre was kept in a gun box in his bedroom to which he had his own key.
Given this litany, investigators are under pressure to explain how warning signs were missed. Despite strong signals, including evidence that he was treated for psychological difficulties last year, why was he allowed to fall off the radar of mental health services?

Even more relevant, perhaps, is the YouTube post from a user named Nikolas Cruz expressing a desire to become “a professional school shooter”, which the FBI probed without conclusion. How did the suspect pass a federal background check that enabled him to buy an AR-15 at Sunrise Tactical Supply gun shop in Coral Springs, entirely legally?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:52 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

... nothing will do anything (unless all the Republican Senators' kids get shot and even then they will probably just fold for the money at the end of the day)
What an extraordinarily vile and prejudiced thing to say!
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

It is pretty vile but don't worry it's not literal, it just highlights how cruel and inhumane Republicans and their politicians are when it comes to gun control - vile to me is enabling mass shooters to kill children and adults and stripping away laws that stop mentally ill people from obtaining high powered weaponry.

Last edited by jerryhung; Feb 17th 2018 at 8:02 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:42 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Dig deeper... Ever hear of Canadian "hate speech" laws?

You've just casually slandered half the US population...again.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 2:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
Given the nature of the 50/50 presidential election result, I think they may have done that themselves.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

I love it how you pop up every time a shooting happens (murder of US citizens) to come up and defend Republicans.

Is that you Mitch???

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail.../#post12442905

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...-909230/page4/

Research gun legislation and votes/supporters but maybe this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail.../#post12442546
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as I happen to live here.
No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)

(a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;

(b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;

(c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or

(d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 7:19 am
On a grand tour

I love it how you pop up every time a shooting happens (murder of US citizens) to come up and defend Republicans.

Is that you Mitch???

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail.../#post12442905

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...-909230/page4/

Research gun legislation and votes/supporters but maybe this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail.../#post12442546
I love how you use a tragedy to recklessly demonize an entire group of people who had nothing to do with it. The very epitome of bigotry.

I comment wherever I please. You'd obviously prefer that your disgraceful comments just slide by, but that's tough luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.