Today's shootings

Old Mar 7th 2018, 11:33 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Today's shootings

Originally Posted by Aviator
Trump did a great job of deflecting the gun issue last week. Tariffs on steel and aluminum, now the big talking point, the NRA and gun control seems to be lost in the news somewhere!
Good observation.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The "what about" method is very effective
Old May 19th 2018, 5:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't mistake this for humour. It was just something I thought of and I don't have the skill of political/topical cartoonists to draw something poignant, so I borrowed something and amended it.

Attached Thumbnails Today's shootings-gun.jpg  
Old May 25th 2018, 9:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It is too late for gun control in America: Neil Macdonald | CBC News

What he fails to mention there is that the number of guns in the US is obviously not static. I had a look at the ATF statistics and from 2013-16, in each year 14 million newly imported or manufactured guns were sold in the US. Glock alone during those years sold well over a million handguns in the US. To put that in context, there are about 300,000 people in Canada who own around a million handguns, so in other words, one manufacturer in one year sold more handguns in the US than are legally owned in Canada. And not by a small margin, those are only the import statistics for Glock, doesn't include a couple of models they make in the US.

The anti-gun and the pro-gun argument seem to me in the US to be two sides of the same coin, the anti-gun people say there are too many guns, we have to do something about it, the pro-gun people say there are so many guns, you can't really do anything about it, other than shoot back. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...anders-n877461

For further context, Neilsen estimates there are around 450 million TV sets in the US, and there are in excess of 300 million firearms (probably by a big margin), so who thinks you could stop a crazy person getting their hands on a TV set?

Someone above quoted the figure of how concentrated firearm ownership is in the US, it's true that a third to a half of guns are owned by a relatively small percentage of the population, but on the other hand, it's estimated that 75 million Americans own 112 million handguns and well north of 300 million firearms in total.

Put another way, more new firearms were sold in the US since 2013 than there are people in the UK. I just laugh when people say "oh they did X in Australia" or wherever, the two situations are totally different. Not just a little bit different, absolutely enormously different. And there was a mass shooting in Australia a couple of weeks ago anyway.