Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

threat to UK infrastructure?

threat to UK infrastructure?

Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default threat to UK infrastructure?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25062450

But he warned the UK's infrastructure could be put under strain if large numbers of people from Romania and Bulgaria come to the country when immigration controls expire in January.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: threat to UK infrastructure?

can someone here explain to me why these East Europeans are being singled out?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been following too closely, but I've heard grumbles about this before. I think it's something to do with those countries not having had free movement before, but now they will, so they are expecting lots of them to show up. Someone who follows this more closely can likely give a better answer.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Martin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud ofMartin the cdn expat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Because discussing the real problem is verboten in the UK.

As far as Romanians and Bulgarians go, the smart ones in those countries have already left, being able to secure work in spite of needing permits.

Since EU citizens are allowed to apply for benefits after a couple years contributing, many think Balkan people will come just to get social assistance.

And then there is the issue of the Roma; for some reason, a lot of people think all
Romanians are Roma, this is of course not true.
But yes, opening the doors will mean more gypsies in the UK.
Maybe a lot more.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did you even read the article? It's about electoral fraud in the Pakistani community?

As to East Europeans, they're not being singled out, they are a large wave of immigration much as the West Indians were years back, and people are talking about the effect they will have. People actually living in Britain I might add.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Did you even read the article? It's about electoral fraud in the Pakistani community?

As to East Europeans, they're not being singled out, they are a large wave of immigration much as the West Indians were years back, and people are talking about the effect they will have. People actually living in Britain I might add.
but, and it's a very big but.. no-0ne know if there will be an influx, most Bulgars and Romanians have stated they there goal is to get to Germany, much better pay there..
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:15 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
but, and it's a very big but.. no-0ne know if there will be an influx, most Bulgars and Romanians have stated they there goal is to get to Germany, much better pay there..
That's true. However did you see on the Beeb last week (the Beeb, not the DM) they interviewed twenty-somethings that were all suggesting they and "everyone they knew" we're heading for London! Apparently they can earn anywhere from 8X to 15X what they would earn in Bulgaria by coming to London. Imagine a British youngster on £30K given the opportunity to earn £240K in a world class city elsewhere, what would he/she do?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes i read the article but it was the last para that struck me

Me, i am romanian via my dad who fled romania in the second world war, but i was born in England, and he never said a word to us about roma or gypsies

maybe i have some gypsy blood
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

The biggest threat to Britain's infrastructure is the British government, which persistently refuses to build, or let industry build, the infrastructure it needs.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:04 pm
Yo

yes i read the article but it was the last para that struck me

Me, i am romanian via my dad who fled romania in the second world war, but i was born in England, and he never said a word to us about roma or gypsies

maybe i have some gypsy blood
I think the last para is just a point of fact. Britain doesn't have anything against Romanians or Bulgarians per se, but there is the issue of a surge in immigration when there already is a shortage of houses, school places and an ovet stretched NHS.

The Roma (gypsies) are a different issue. If your father never said anything about them I think you can probably assume that you are not Roma.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think the last para is just a point of fact. Britain doesn't have anything against Romanians or Bulgarians per se, but there is the issue of a surge in immigration when there already is a shortage of houses, school places and an ovet stretched NHS.

The Roma (gypsies) are a different issue. If your father never said anything about them I think you can probably assume that you are not Roma.
I do not recall the topic ever coming up, even as joke, plus i never saw any in england in my youth
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:13 pm
Yo

I do not recall the topic ever coming up, even as joke, plus i never saw any in england in my youth
What topic, gypsies?
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

What topic, gypsies?
yes, i never saw one and they were rarely talked about
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I remember when I was a small kid, we were visiting my grandmother and me and my sister wanted to walk into town, some gypsies had set up camp in some waste ground between and my mum told me to be careful, as they skin you alive.

They didn't sound nice.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 8:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF
I remember when I was a small kid, we were visiting my grandmother and me and my sister wanted to walk into town, some gypsies had set up camp in some waste ground between and my mum told me to be careful, as they skin you alive.

They didn't sound nice.
Your mum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.