Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

To those with adult children

To those with adult children

Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:15 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those with adult children

In my line of work I come across a lot of family squabbles after their nearest and dearest depart this earth. It is just like a kettle of vultures (I love that collective noun) - horrible - money seriously brings out the worst in people.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 26th 2016 at 3:16 pm. Reason: I wanted just one post that didn't need correction- nope, not this one.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me glad my parents have nothing of value.

If I had wealth, I would just blow it all in my senior years. Better to enjoy it yourself rather then have family squabble over it after your gone.

But luckily its less complicated when your in our shoes.....lol... If we have a kid and they are lucky we will have paid for burial in advance.

But dont think at this point we will ever have a kid let alone more then 1.

Even when there are no assests death of someone can still tear a family apart.

My grandfather died poor with no assests. The kids had to pool money together to pay for burial.

But once he was gone, my dads siblings and my dad all parted ways rarely talking. Suppose grandpa was the glue holding the family together.

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
In my line of work I come across a lot of family squabbles after their nearest and dearest depart this earth. It is seriously like a kettle of vultures (I love that collective noun) - horrible - money seriously brings out the worst in people.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 26th 2016 at 3:23 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

In my line of work I come across a lot of family squabbles after their nearest and dearest depart this earth. It is just like a kettle of vultures (I love that collective noun) - horrible - money seriously brings out the worst in people.

Where's there's a will there's a relative.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:44 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Ain't that the truth
Old Apr 27th 2016, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Let. It. Go. Seriously.

If your wife is really really upset/angry about it, she needs to sit down & talk about it with her family. Possibly with a neutral party as referee. (< - Not you).

I have siblings (& a parent), & a child, who have benefited from more (& quite substantial) financial assistance from parents than others.

Sometimes there's an unknown backstory that makes sense, sometimes there isn't. It's the parent's perogative to do what s/he thinks best.

*If*, and it's a MASSIVE if, your wife has reason to believe (& proof) her parent is mentally incapable & whatever happened took advantage of that, she *could* take it further. Probably, possibly, not worth the hassle.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the wife to drop it has been whst I have been trying to do since last week and its frustrating for me to see her so upset and not be able to help her.

I suggested she sit with both of them and talk about it in a nuetral place but her mom said no.

I dont care about it, but I do care with how my wife is being trested and how its upset her badly she can hardly deal with life at the moment.

Pure mean spirit to treat the only child who is ever there for the parent this way in my opinion though.

In the end its the moms loss, she will end up alone.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Let. It. Go. Seriously.

If your wife is really really upset/angry about it, she needs to sit down & talk about it with her family. Possibly with a neutral party as referee. (< - Not you).

I have siblings (& a parent), & a child, who have benefited from more (& quite substantial) financial assistance from parents than others.

Sometimes there's an unknown backstory that makes sense, sometimes there isn't. It's the parent's perogative to do what s/he thinks best.

*If*, and it's a MASSIVE if, your wife has reason to believe (& proof) her parent is mentally incapable & whatever happened took advantage of that, she *could* take it further. Probably, possibly, not worth the hassle.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:06 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Getting the wife to drop it has been whst I have been trying to do since last week and its frustrating for me to see her so upset and not be able to help her.

I suggested she sit with both of them and talk about it in a nuetral place but her mom said no.

I dont care about it, but I do care with how my wife is being trested and how its upset her badly she can hardly deal with life at the moment.

Pure mean spirit to treat the only child who is ever there for the parent this way in my opinion though.

In the end its the moms loss, she will end up alone.

If your wife is concerned about it she should try to find out what happened. Ask her mother and brother separately. It's obviously important to her, and she was clearly under the perception that the property would be evenly split. I think one of them (if not both) ought to provide her with the explanation. Who gets the land/assets is a different matter (it's as the mother sees fit) but at very least, especially given the care history, an explanation is warranted.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If your wife is concerned about it she should try to find out what happened. Ask her mother and brother separately. It's obviously important to her, and she was clearly under the perception that the property would be evenly split. I think one of them (if not both) ought to provide her with the explanation. Who gets the land/assets is a different matter (it's as the mother sees fit) but at very least, especially given the care history, an explanation is warranted.
Neither the mother or brother is obliged to give any explanation whatsoever.

While I agree the best thing would be for them all to sit down & have a chat, there's nothing that could compell them to do so, unfortunately for J's wife's peace of mind.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:22 am
Account Closed

She is trying to get an explanation. So far the mom has been over the place from last Friday tell her she didnt know why its in his name, and that she wanted to split it to the next day refusing to talk about it.

Yesterday she told wife she is going to see the brother on Saturday. Wife asked to go so they could all talk but mother said no and then said people might be listening to her phone calls and reading her emails so she cant talk about it.

She emailed the brother and his reply was, you sound stressed and worried but didnt answer any of her questions.

Its all very strange how they are both acting.

* Edited to fix typing errors.

Originally Posted by Shard

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 27th 2016 at 10:24 am.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:33 am
Account Closed

Those who care about their family would however explain.

Its quite evident neither of them give a rats ass and well its their loss as wife is about to write them out of her life.

This is one example why I am hesitent to let people into my life, you just cant trust people.

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Neither the mother or brother is obliged to give any explanation whatsoever.

While I agree the best thing would be for them all to sit down & have a chat, there's nothing that could compell them to do so, unfortunately for J's wife's peace of mind.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Oink
Yup. MIL passed away in January. There has been some seriously horrible dung which has hurt MrBEVS on top of his bereavement. Thankfully we are far away & MrBEVs has a sensible head so has not been drawn in to react. His focus is to protect his loving memories . All the rest can go hang.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 11:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
She is trying to get an explanation. So far the mom has been over the place from last Friday tell her she didnt know why its in his name, and that she wanted to split it to the next day refusing to talk about it.

Yesterday she told wife she is going to see the brother on Saturday. Wife asked to go so they could all talk but mother said no and then said people might be listening to her phone calls and reading her emails so she cant talk about it.

She emailed the brother and his reply was, you sound stressed and worried but didnt answer any of her questions.

Its all very strange how they are both acting.

* Edited to fix typing errors.
^This would concern me - it's potentially a sign of paranoia. Perhaps a doctors visit might be a good idea?

I would suggest your wife go and chat with her brother, it might be that he has concerns for their mothers' state of mind as well (though this wouldn't explain the financial issues). Is your wife positive this is what has happened (house refinanced etc) or is this what her Mother is telling her?

A quick search online would tell her who the legal owner of the property is, I would think.

Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
^This would concern me - it's potentially a sign of paranoia. Perhaps a doctors visit might be a good idea?

I would suggest your wife go and chat with her brother, it might be that he has concerns for their mothers' state of mind as well (though this wouldn't explain the financial issues). Is your wife positive this is what has happened (house refinanced etc) or is this what her Mother is telling her?

A quick search online would tell her who the legal owner of the property is, I would think.

It would indeed. & that was already suggested.

It's hard to know what to say in this situation, as we're getting all the "info" at secondhand. If J just needs to vent/share his feelings, NP. I'm loath to venture further than I already have, given that it's not one of the direct protagonists sharing direct info here.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 12:43 pm
I need a walk

Dare I say that this is all a bit "Airing of your dirty linen in public" which I have to feel is never a great idea all round

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 27th 2016 at 12:53 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2016, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

A search was done and he is sole and only owner listed with the change last May. A search was the first thing she did when she suspected something was up.

I mostly just cant hold all the stress in and not like I can call anyone up and holding stressful stuff in never works well for me.

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.