Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Is there a British butcher in Calgary?

Is there a British butcher in Calgary?

Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

dawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nicedawnzocalgary is just really nice
Default Re: Is there a British butcher in Calgary?

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
Thanks guys knew would come up with the goods.

Looks like a visit to Costco and MacEwan's Meats is on the cards this weekend.
MacEwans have square sausage, and even black pudding. They make a mean steak pie but if you want one of the larger ones you usually need to preorder.

I like the links from costco too
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:00 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We get "proper bacon" from MacEwans too ... but we prefer the "English" to the "Scottish", which I guess is mostly down to how it's cured .....

Ohh and HAGGIS!!!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You could try MacEwan's Meats 17-9620 Elbow Drive SW Telephone: 403-228-9999
He does English back bacon as well as pork sausages but he limits the amount of bacon you can buy at one time due to demand outstripping supply. They are to die for
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

nametski is an unknown quantity at this point

Try looking for Irving's Sausages on line. They are a British family making sausages and bacon. Generally very good. They do some good fancy sausages as well. They are between Edmonton and Calgary somewhere and travel around different farmers markets. But I am also sure they take orders when the markets aren't running. Bacon is yummy!!! Good Luck
Old Mar 7th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by calgary2006
Try Superstore's "British Bangers" - they are really good - my kids love them. They do tend to sell out quickly though so I stockpile them when I see them!

Ditto on this one, my kids love these too.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Make your own mate, its so easy. Pork mince and a few herbs rolled into a sausage shape.
You forgot the sawdust,,,

I feel sorry for the child that has been wheaned on "The great British Banger" and is now going cold turkey. I blame the parents:curse:
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgary2006
Try Superstore's "British Bangers" - they are really good - my kids love them. They do tend to sell out quickly though so I stockpile them when I see them!

Yep.......they sell out quick at our local superstore too.

My lad says they are the best in Canada, he's our little sausage connoisseir

Linda
Old Mar 13th 2009, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

MIB TEW is an unknown quantity at this point

Advanced notice!
We are looking at moving to Okotoks in September 2009. We are ex-butchers and are hoping to begin sausage production from home. These can then be sold via the farmers markets or through the post.
We will keep you posted
Sorry if the message comes across strange, but we are 'virgins' on this site!!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 8:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MIB TEW
Advanced notice!
We are looking at moving to Okotoks in September 2009. We are ex-butchers and are hoping to begin sausage production from home. These can then be sold via the farmers markets or through the post.
We will keep you posted
Sorry if the message comes across strange, but we are 'virgins' on this site!!
Welcome to BE.

I'm sure your sausages would be welcomed in Calgary or anywhere else in Canada for that matter.

But I would strongly suggest if your are going to go into this venture, you make sure you have the appropriate approvals and licences.

The authorities here tend to frown on unlicensed food manufacturing operations especially meats and meat products.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:14 am
Just Joined

MIB TEW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Welcome to BE.

I'm sure your sausages would be welcomed in Calgary or anywhere else in Canada for that matter.

But I would strongly suggest if your are going to go into this venture, you make sure you have the appropriate approvals and licences.

The authorities here tend to frown on unlicensed food manufacturing operations especially meats and meat products.
Thanks for that. We will explore this route.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:50 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Judy posted a link a while ago that had British or Scottish butchers in it. May be worth doing a search.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 9:57 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.threetowners.com/scottish_butchers.htm

Judy the very thoughfull peron that she is has put a couple in the wiki Irvings is also mentioned.