British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Is there a British butcher in Calgary? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/there-british-butcher-calgary-595633/)

The Ross Family Mar 5th 2009 2:51 pm

Is there a British butcher in Calgary?

Hi folks

Daughter has major sausage withdrawal symptoms and the only ones I have seen in either Safeway or Sobey's don't look too appetising.

Heard that they maybe an English/Scottish butcher in Calgary. Does anyone know whereabouts. You would be a lifesaver if you do.:thumbsup:

Thanks

The Ross Family

Londonuck Mar 5th 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Is there a British butcher in Calgary?

Originally Posted by The Ross Family (Post 7348268)
Hi folks

Daughter has major sausage withdrawal symptoms and the only ones I have seen in either Safeway or Sobey's don't look too appetising.

Heard that they maybe an English/Scottish butcher in Calgary. Does anyone know whereabouts. You would be a lifesaver if you do.:thumbsup:

Thanks

The Ross Family

Make your own mate, its so easy. Pork mince and a few herbs rolled into a sausage shape.

Hobbess Mar 5th 2009 3:01 pm

Spolumbos English Bangers from the meat counter in Safeway, Co-op or Superstore are pretty good, they also have some chicken apple ones that are good.

Bontons butcher is a good store in the NW just off 16th near the Foothills hospital. I've not shopped in there for sausage but would think it might be a good bet. Also the farmers market at Curry Barracks has plenty of meat options and thinking you might find good sausages there.

Yash1983 Mar 5th 2009 3:22 pm

not meaning to hijack the thread but where in calgary does one acquire minced pork.

Littletashy Mar 5th 2009 3:26 pm

Hi folks

Thanks

The Ross Family

Costco pork sausages are to die for apparently. My kids love them, and they're a really good price too $13 for 40 reasonably thick ones.

Littletashy Mar 5th 2009 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Yash1983 (Post 7348363)
not meaning to hijack the thread but where in calgary does one acquire minced pork.

Safeway $3 for 0.5kg and its very good I make meatballs with it:eek:

Steve_P Mar 5th 2009 3:32 pm

You could try MacEwan's Meats 17-9620 Elbow Drive SW Telephone: 403-228-9999

calgary2006 Mar 5th 2009 4:47 pm

Hi folks

Thanks

The Ross Family

Try Superstore's "British Bangers" - they are really good - my kids love them. They do tend to sell out quickly though so I stockpile them when I see them!

:)

Ruby Murray Mar 5th 2009 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 7348372)
Costco pork sausages are to die for apparently. My kids love them, and they're a really good price too $13 for 40 reasonably thick ones.

I love the Costco ones....but only the pork sausages, NOT the big fat ones like the Italian hot...eww, full of gristle :thumbdown:

Ruby Murray Mar 5th 2009 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by calgary2006 (Post 7348583)
Try Superstore's "British Bangers" - they are really good - my kids love them. They do tend to sell out quickly though so I stockpile them when I see them!

:)

I always shop in Superstore and I've never come across any "English-style" sausages :confused: Are they in the fresh or frozen section?

Lisa_W Mar 5th 2009 7:09 pm

Old Country Sausage Shop stall at Calgary Farmers' Market sell good ones.

calgary2006 Mar 5th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray (Post 7349019)
I always shop in Superstore and I've never come across any "English-style" sausages :confused: Are they in the fresh or frozen section?

In the fresh section - really large packs of about 16 - it's hit and miss when you can get them though.

Ruby Murray Mar 5th 2009 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by calgary2006 (Post 7349046)
In the fresh section - really large packs of about 16 - it's hit and miss when you can get them though.

Thanks, I'll make sure I look out for those next time I'm in :thumbsup:

The Ross Family Mar 5th 2009 9:34 pm

Thanks guys knew would come up with the goods.

Looks like a visit to Costco and MacEwan's Meats is on the cards this weekend.

gryphea Mar 6th 2009 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Yash1983 (Post 7348363)

I get mine from amaranth