Teenagers

Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:25 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Umm that's what I feel like I've been going though for the last few years...I can't imagine it getting any worse. Do you think I'll look fondly back at age 8?

Honestly if we stuck to the letter of the law of Santa, there would be one chap getting a lump of coal in his stocking!
The fortunate thing is that as soon as behaviour stablises, the rose tinted specs fall back into place. But I know exactly what you mean by not imagining it getting any worse. We couldn't even resort to coal because, apparently, coal is good - I like coal !
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:36 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
The fortunate thing is that as soon as behaviour stablises, the rose tinted specs fall back into place. But I know exactly what you mean by not imagining it getting any worse. We couldn't even resort to coal because, apparently, coal is good - I like coal !
Is that an answer for everything response?
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Some hope in those comments. I think parental actions must have some impact. When you see teenagers of kids from other countries (Asian, Middle Eastern, etc.) they seem to be somewhat better behaved and respectful. Our highly individualistic Western culture invented the "teenager" and it certainly promotes it. Don't wish to generalise, but I'm thinking nurture must have some influence on nature. They can't all be Kevins on their 13th birthday!
I agree that middle eastern/Asian kids seem to be "better behaved", but I don't agree with most Asian/ME parents parenting style. Most of those Asians/ME's are highly controlled as kids and by the time they are adults, they are still doing everything their parents tell them to so as not to "dishonour the family" or some BS like that. That's the kind of crap that most of those parents feed their kids and it fearmongers them into doing what everyone else says all the time, so by the time they are adults they don't know how to make decisions for themselves.

I can actually think of an example on this forum but won't name.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:27 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I agree that middle eastern/Asian kids seem to be "better behaved", but I don't agree with most Asian/ME parents parenting style. Most of those Asians/ME's are highly controlled as kids and by the time they are adults, they are still doing everything their parents tell them to so as not to "dishonour the family" or some BS like that. That's the kind of crap that most of those parents feed their kids and it fearmongers them into doing what everyone else says all the time, so by the time they are adults they don't know how to make decisions for themselves.

I can actually think of an example on this forum but won't name.
Well it's a different culture, innit. Every adult knows how to make decisions themselves, but some are just more conscientious than others.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's a different culture, innit. Every adult knows how to make decisions themselves, but some are just more conscientious than others.
Yes, true, it is, but that's exactly like saying even though infant male circumcision is wrong its okay if Jews do it because "its their culture".

I wouldn't agree with you re all adults being capable of making decisions. Cultural or otherwise
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:30 pm
me/moi

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yes, true, it is, but that's exactly like saying even though infant male circumcision is wrong its okay if Jews do it because "its their culture".

I wouldn't agree with you re all adults being capable of making decisions. Cultural or otherwise
Hardly the same at all. Once physical or mental abuse come into play, completely different story.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hardly the same at all. Once physical or mental abuse come into play, completely different story.
Yes, but in this case, however miniscule, there is a mental abuse happening in some of the extreme* cases.

Case example:

Lucy isn't quite sure what she wants to do with her life. Her parents want her to go to medical school and become a doctor. She doesn't want to do that. She would rather go into something less demanding like journalism. Her parents threaten to effectively exclude her from their lives if she doesn't do as they ask. Its always been this way, be it with school, extracurricular activities, etc.

*Not all of them are like this but some are.

That was a very extreme case but I've seen on here an example of the case I described.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
My girls are not horrendous kids by any stretch, but when they are having their "20%" moments, I can feel exasperated, pissed off, angry, guilty - as many negative feelings you can think of, and I really don't like them very much.

And those are the times I momentarily want to say "F*** you" and leave the house for the day/week. But of course, I am the adult here and I'm supposed to do and say the "right" thing. Maybe, occasionally, keeping my mouth shut and leaving the house is actually the appropriate response.

And I guess that is all normal. On many other days, I am so proud of the young ladies they are turning into. This was not the case on Saturday morning when I posted this thread.
Re bolded: Yep. Yep. Yep.

---
Oh, and re all those nice, well behaved Asian/ME teens? You should see some of them when they're not in the vicinity of their parents and "letting their hair down". It ain't pretty, & it's downright scary cleaning up after them .
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Oh, and re all those nice, well behaved Asian/ME teens? You should see some of them when they're not in the vicinity of their parents and "letting their hair down". It ain't pretty, & it's downright scary cleaning up after them .
Yep. A strict parent only creates a sneaky child.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Teenagers annoy me, although as always there are exceptions. My sister was the worst teenager ever, even as a teen I could handle her attitude, I would never want to go back and live through that stage again...lol