British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Teatime Choices (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/teatime-choices-726714/)

el_richo Mar 22nd 2012 6:26 pm

Re: Teatime Choices

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9968034)
can't remember the name but it had curried potatoes in it

We'll be having some of that tomorrow night, it's lovely. What the hell is it called :confused:

Where did you go?

Oink Mar 22nd 2012 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9968122)
We'll be having some of that tomorrow night, it's lovely. What the hell is it called :confused:

Where did you go?

Aloo naan.

el_richo Mar 22nd 2012 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9968159)
Aloo naan.

Hello

helcat12 Mar 23rd 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9968122)

Where did you go?

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9968159)
Aloo naan.

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9968183)
Hello

This is like living in an old people's home....:p

Oink Apr 6th 2012 2:10 pm

An extra large pizza with pepperoni, capicollo, onions, mushrooms and extra cheese delivered by Nat’s Pizza. :thumbup:

Oink Apr 6th 2012 3:27 pm

Edited to say they forget the extra cheese on an otherwise splendid pizza. :(

caretaker Apr 7th 2012 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9993034)
Edited to say they forget the extra cheese on an otherwise splendid pizza. :(

From the menu on their website it looks like my kind of place. I used to really like Torino‘s on Kingsway back in the day

Oink Apr 7th 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 9993896)
From the menu on their website it looks like my kind of place. I used to really like Torino‘s on Kingsway back in the day

We usually order from the Firewood Pizza place but decided to try somewhere else. It was disappointing that they forgot the extra cheese.

caretaker Apr 7th 2012 10:10 am

I‘ll be having leftover chicken curry and rice. I like the jars of curry sauce, but $4-$5 seems bit high, so I bought a 1.89 litre jug of Gordon‘s red Thai curry sauce for $12 and it made quite a few meals. I wish they‘d had a yellow Thai one, but all they have besides the red is a ginger curry, and I‘m not sure if I want the big one of that. Anyone else tried the Gordon‘s sauces?

Oink Apr 7th 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 9994088)
I‘ll be having leftover chicken curry and rice. I like the jars of curry sauce, but $4-$5 seems bit high, so I bought a 1.89 litre jug of Gordon‘s red Thai curry sauce for $12 and it made quite a few meals. I wish they‘d had a yellow Thai one, but all they have besides the red is a ginger curry, and I‘m not sure if I want the big one of that. Anyone else tried the Gordon‘s sauces?

Buy your own spices and man it up and make your own stonkin curry.

caretaker Apr 8th 2012 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9994368)
Buy your own spices and man it up and make your own stonkin curry.

Sometimes I do my own but I only keep Madras curry powder on hand and I like to make beef and green peppers like back in the hippy days. I actually like most of those sauces and once in awhile the butter chicken. For a special treat sometimes I take a friend to the buffet at Siam Restaurant about 3 blocks away and there are all sorts of exotic goodies there.

caretaker Apr 9th 2012 6:19 am

Thanks for the recipe Oink! It looks like a gooder and I‘ll try it.

caretaker Apr 14th 2012 10:58 am

That oops moment when you realize you have 2 drinks going at the same time can make the difference between chicken in mushroom sauce and coq au vin. With rice, mmmmmmmm.

Atlantic Xpat Apr 14th 2012 1:37 pm

Bit of a disaster tonight....the Mrs found monkfish in the local supermarket which is a rare occurance so bought an enormous tail. After frickin around with skinning and removing the membrane (which is bloody hard work) I did a monkfish ragout recipe from a British cookbook we brought over. The recipe calls for creme freche which we can't get here. (Yes I know you can make it but I didn't have the 8-14 hrs needed to do this). So I tried greek yogurt instead. Which curdled nastily.:( We ate it anyway & it tasted OK but looked like sh1t.

The4BellsLondon Apr 14th 2012 2:04 pm

I think Philadelphia are now doing a creme fraiche type thing now!