Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Talking Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by iaink
The problem is that they dont seem to have bothered to erecting the accompanying sign that announces when you actually arrive in "The North".

Maybe I never quite went far enough, but I did have to go all the way to the northern end of the M1 to get to Uni and I'm pretty sure Yorkshire is proper North.
I once discussed going to see Hatfield with some friends but we never got up the nerve to go past the sign.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

The problem is that they dont seem to have bothered to erecting the accompanying sign that announces when you actually arrive in "The North".

Maybe I never quite went far enough, but I did have to go all the way to the northern end of the M1 to get to Uni and I'm pretty sure Yorkshire is proper North.

Thinking about it, Leicester CANT be "The North"

They still have roadsigns to "The north" once you get there

http://www.ukmotorists.com/highway_c...s/signs137.gif
I am from Yorkshire, and I would say itis the "proper north". I also lived between Leicester and Nottingham while at Uni.... and that is not the north - it is the Midlands!
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have lost both my accent and my original manner of speaking.
Don't be ridiculous, you still have a definate aura of 'Lunnon' about you. You can take the boy of of London but not the London out of the boy etc etc.

I still have my 'generally rp, occasionally tinged with estuarial essex' accent. What I have picked up are local colloquialisms and manners of speaking. It's entirely normal for me to enquire 'whats on the go?', get something 'clued up' and use that universal Newfoundland expression of 'Whaaaaaa?' in enquiry or simply as an automated response to a half heard question.

I do draw the line at 'Lord 'tunderin jaysus' though. By's that's some Newfie sterotyping going on.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
My wife finds those signs you see on the M1 northbound, just outside of London that say in huge letters 'The North' to be hilarious.

I always thought they should read 'T'North'. (Tha nows).
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I always thought they should read 'T'North'. (Tha nows).
Why? That would come from down south, around Yorkshire.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:34 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

I once discussed going to see Hatfield with some friends but we never got up the nerve to go past the sign.
....ahoy, there be vyle beastes and monstyrous creatyres.

BTW - The North starts officially at Sheffield.

R.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

From the sounds of it, "the North" is either a moving target, like the North Magnetic Pole, or it is merely a frame of mind and you will know instinctively know when you have arrived in Royston Varney.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
....ahoy, there be vyle beastes and monstyrous creatyres.

BTW - The North starts officially at Sheffield.

R.
It actually starts in Gateshead, but doesn't really get proper stuck in until the Tyne Bridge.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It actually starts in Gateshead, but doesn't really get proper stuck in until the Tyne Bridge.
It can't be because that would make me a Midlander, and I am definitely not one of those - I don't eat cobs and say Me Duck!

The north starts with Yorkshire as far as I am concerned.
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:48 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clynnog
From the sounds of it, "the North" is either a moving target, like the North Magnetic Pole, or it is merely a frame of mind and you will know instinctively know when you have arrived in Royston Varney.
Being "Northern: is definitely a state of mind. It also involves:

black humour
inbuilt stubborness
lack of interest in arts and culture
stodgy fat- and sugar- filled diet
talking in loud incomprehensible dialects
the art of shouting/beating
enhanced manners of "brusqueness"
low fears of marrying/mating with close relatives
complex mating rituals involving farm animals
arcane Gazza-worship

/etc
Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:52 pm
Born again atheist

Being "Northern: is definitely a state of mind. It also involves:

arcane Gazza-worship
Nah, that's yer Lahndon Media Bollogs, init?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I have lost both my accent and my original manner of speaking. .
Do you still pronounce "Tomato" the British way or are you now saying "Tomayto" ?
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Do you still pronounce "Tomato" the British way or are you now saying "Tomayto" ?
If I want my burger without it I have caved in and say tomehto to the drive through clowns... It really is the thin end of the wedge, but when in rome...
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I say it the way I always did. This provokes consternation among the Somalis who work at Harvey's. I repeat myself once, forcefully. If they still do not latch on I resort to saying "those red things".
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

scousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura aboutscousemartin has a spectacular aura about

Leicester is not north, you Mockney Fool.

Leicester is the Midlands. Which is like the North but without whippets, flat caps, Kes-type feral children, or outside lavatoires.

R.
or outside lavatoires.

Luxury!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.